Molecular characterization and expression of four cDNAs encoding sucrose synthase from green bamboo Bambusa oldhamii
Article first published online: 17 JAN 2006
Volume 170, Issue 1, pages 53–63, March 2006
How to Cite
Chiu, W.-B., Lin, C.-H., Chang, C.-J., Hsieh, M.-H. and Wang, A.-Y. (2006), Molecular characterization and expression of four cDNAs encoding sucrose synthase from green bamboo Bambusa oldhamii. New Phytologist, 170: 53–63. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2005.01638.x
- Issue published online: 17 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 17 JAN 2006
- Received: 20 September 2005 Accepted: 13 November 2005
- 1995. A membrane-associated form of sucrose synthase and its potential role in synthesis of cellulose and callose in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 9353–9357. , , , , .
- 1999. Purification of tomato sucrose synthase phosphorylated isoforms by Fe (III)-immobilized metal affinity chromatography. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 365: 163–169. , , .
- 2001. Multiple, distinct isoforms of sucrose synthase in pea. Plant Physiology 127: 655–664. , , , , , .
- 2004. Structure and expression profile of the sucrose synthase multigene family in Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 397–409. , , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 1996. Evidence for plasma membrane-associated forms of sucrose synthase in maize. Molecular and General Genetics 252: 303–310. , .
- 2002. Gene expression studies on developing kernels of maize sucrose synthase (SuSy) mutants show evidence for a third SuSy gene. Plant Molecular Biology 49: 15–29. , , , .
- 1987. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Analytical Biochemistry 162: 156–159. , .
- 1981. Genetic control of sucrose synthase in maize endosperm. Molecular and General Genetics 184: 372–376. .
- 1998. Genetic evidence that the two isozymes of sucrose synthase present in developing maize endosperm are critical, one for cell wall integrity and the other for starch biosynthesis. Molecular and General Genetics 259: 88–96. , , , .
- 1997. Contribution of sucrose synthase, ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase and starch synthase to starch synthesis in developing pea seeds. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 1421–1430. , , , .
- 2002. Sequence and analysis of rice chromosome 4. Nature 420: 316–320. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Sink- and vascular-associated sucrose synthase functions are encoded by different gene classes in potato. Plant Cell 7: 1369–1385. , .
- 1982. Genomic clones of a wild-type allele and a transposable element induced mutant allele of the sucrose synthase gene of Zea mays L. EMBO Journal 1: 1455–1460. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Sucrose synthase in legume nodules is essential for nitrogen fixation. Plant Physiology 120: 867–878. , , , .
- 1988. cDNAs of two non-allelic sucrose synthase genes in maize: cloning, expression, characterization and molecular mapping of the sucrose synthase-2 gene. Plant Molecular Biology 10: 215–224. , , , .
- 2001. Carbon partitioning to cellulose synthesis. Plant Molecular Biology 47: 29–51. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Proteasome activity and the post-translational control of sucrose synthase stability in maize leaves. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 42: 197–208. , .
- 2003. Phosphorylation of sucrose synthase at serine 170: occurrence and possible role as a signal for proteolysis. Plant Journal 35: 588–603. , , , , , .
- 1996. Complete structures of three rice sucrose synthase isogenes and differential regulation of their expressions. Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry 60: 233–239. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Collection, mapping, and annotation of over 28 000 cDNA clones from japonica rice. Science 301: 376–379. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. UDP-glucose pyrophosphorylase. An old protein with new tricks. Plant Physiology 134: 912–918. , , , .
- 2004. Sucrose metabolism: regulatory mechanisms and pivotal roles in sugar sensing and plant development. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 235–246. .
- 2002. Analysis of sucrose synthase genes in citrus suggests different roles and phylogenetic relationships. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 61–71. , , , , .
- 2004. Evidence that sucrose loaded into the phloem of a poplar leaf is used directly by sucrose synthase associated with various β-glucan synthases in the stem. Plant Physiology 134: 1146–1152. , , .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685. .
- 2003. Sugar-modulated gene expression of sucrose synthase in suspension-cultured cells of rice. Physiologia Plantarum 118: 319–327. , .
- 1958. Studies on the growth of bamboo species in Taiwan. Bulletin of Taiwan Forestry Research Institute no. 54. Taipei, Taiwan: Taiwan Forestry Research Institute. .
- 1993. Expression of an Arabidopsis sucrose synthase gene indicates a role in metabolization of sucrose both during phloem loading and in sink organs. Plant Journal 4: 367–377. , , , .
- 1980. Rapid isolation of high molecular weight plant DNA. Nucleic Acids Research 8: 4321–4325. , .
- 1998. An increase in apparent affinity for sucrose of mung bean sucrose synthase is caused by in vitro phosphorylation or directed mutagenesis of Ser11. Plant and Cell Physiology 39: 1337–1341. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Enhancement of cellulose production by expression of sucrose synthase in Acetobacter xylinum. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 14–18. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Companion-cell specific localization of sucrose synthase in zones of phloem loading and unloading. Plant Physiology 101: 899–905. , .
- 2001. Sucrose synthase localizes to cellulose synthesis sites in tracheary elements. Phytochemistry 57: 823–833. , , , .
- 1994. Structural features of the maize sus1 gene and protein. Plant Physiology 106: 1659–1665. , , , , , , .
- 1986. The position of bamboo genera and allies in a system of grass classification. In: SoderstormTR, ed. Grass systematics and evolution. Washington, DC, USA: Smithsonian Institution, 225– 238. , .
- 1999. Tissue-specific expression of two genes for sucrose synthase in carrot (Daucus carota L.). Plant Molecular Biology 39: 349–360. , , , .
- 1965. Carbohydrate metabolism in the shoots of bamboo Leleba oldhami. III. Separation and identification of nucleotides. Journal of the Chinese Agricultural Chemical Society 6 Special Issue: 45–54. .
- 1969. Carbohydrate metabolism in the shoots of bamboo Leleba oldhami. VII. Changes of polysaccharide constituents accompanied with the growth of the plants. Journal of the Chinese Agricultural Chemical Society 10 Special Issue: 16–20. .
- 1977. Purification and characterization of sucrose synthetase from the shoot of bamboo Leleba oldhami. Plant Physiology 60: 17–21. , , .
- 2001. Altered patterns of sucrose synthase phosphorylation and localization precede callose induction and root tip death in anoxic maize seedlings. Plant Physiology 125: 585–594. , .
- 1992. Sucrose synthase in wild tomato, Lycopersicon chmielewskii, and tomato fruit sink strength. Plant Physiology 98: 1163–1169. , , , .
- 2002. Changes in the phosphorylation state of sucrose synthase during development of Japanese pear fruit. Physiologia Plantarum 114: 21–26. , , , .
- 2003. Effects of protein phosphorylation on the enzyme activity and gene expression of rice sucrose synthase. PhD thesis, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan. .
- 2003. Identification of rice manganese-dependent protein kinases that phosphorylate sucrose synthase at multiple serine residues. Botanical Bulletin of Academia Sinica 44: 141–150. , .
- 1960. Studies on the physiology of bamboo; with reference to practical application. Forests Bulletin 30. Kyoto, Japan: Kyoto University. .
- 2003. Vascularization, high-volume solution flow, and localized roles for enzymes of sucrose metabolism during tumorigenesis by Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Plant Physiology 133: 1024–1037. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Differentially and developmentally regulated expression of three rice sucrose synthase genes. Plant and Cell Physiology 40: 800–807. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Membrane association of sucrose synthase: changes during the graviresponse and possible control by protein phosphorylation. Federation of European Biochemical Societies Letters 420: 151–155. , , .
- 2000. Regulation of sucrose metabolism in higher plants: localization and regulation of activity of key enzymes. Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 35: 253–289. , .
- 1990. Maize sucrose synthase-1 promoter directs phloem cell-specific expression of Gus gene in transgenic tobacco plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 87: 4144–4148. , .
- 1992. Isolation and sequences of rice sucrose synthase cDNA and genomic DNA. Plant Molecular Biology 18: 139–142. , , , , .
- 1997. Seryl-phosphorylation of soybean nodule sucrose synthase (nodulin-100) by a Ca2+-dependent protein kinase. Federation of European Biochemical Societies Letters 410: 126–130. , .
- 1999. Soybean nodule sucrose synthase (nodulin-100): further analysis of its phosphorylation using recombinant and authentic root-nodule enzymes. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 371: 70–82. , , , , , .
- 1995. Evidence of the crucial role of sucrose synthase for sink strength using transgenic potato plants (Solanum tuberosum L.). Plant Journal 7: 97–107. , , , .