Ni2+ induces changes in the morphology of vacuoles, mitochondria and microtubules in Paxillus involutus cells
Article first published online: 29 JUN 2006
Volume 169, Issue 4, pages 819–828, February 2006
How to Cite
Tuszyńska, S. (2006), Ni2+ induces changes in the morphology of vacuoles, mitochondria and microtubules in Paxillus involutus cells. New Phytologist, 169: 819–828. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01626.x
- Issue published online: 29 JUN 2006
- Article first published online: 29 JUN 2006
- Received: 20 September 2005 Accepted: 20 October 2005
- 1995. Membrane tabulation and proton pumps. Protoplasma 189: 1–8. .
- 1997. The cytoplasmic pH influences hyphal tip growth and cytoskeleton-related organization. Fungal Genetics and Biology 21: 6–91. , .
- 1998. Radial F-actin arrays precede new hypha formation in Saprolegnia: implications for establishing polar growth and regulating tip morphogenesis. Journal of Cell Science 111: 2005–2016. , .
- 1999. Cytoplasmic migrations and vacuolation are associated with growth recovery in hyphae in Saprolegnia, and are dependent on the cytoskeleton. Mycological Research 103: 849–858. , .
- 1998. Regulated vacuole fusion and fission in Schizosaccharomyces pombe: an osmotic response dependent on MAP kinases. Current Biology 8: 135–144. , , , .
- 2003. New perspectives on mitochondrial morphology in cell function. Biology of the Cell 95: 239–242. , , .
- 2000. Detection and localization of aluminium and heavy metals in ectomycorrhizal Norway spruce seedlings. Environmental Pollution 108: 121–128. , .
- 1983. Fungal secondary metabolism research: past, present and future. Journal of Natural Products 46: 60–70. .
- 2005. Proline suppresses apoptosis in the fungal pathogen Colletotrichum trifolii. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 3459–3464. , .
- 2002. HIV-1 Tat targets microtubules to induce apoptosis, a process promoted by the pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 relative Bim. EMBO Journal 21: 6801–6810. , , , .
- 2003. Induction of apoptosis by sphingoid long-chain bases in Aspergillus nidulans. Molecular and Cellular Biology 23: 163–177. , , , , .
- 2000. Brefeldin A affects growth, endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi bodies, tubular vacuole system and secretory pathway in Pisolithus tinctorius. Fungal Genetics and Biology 29: 95–106. , , , .
- 1997. Uptake and compartmentalisation of fluorescent probes by Pisolithus tinctorius hyphae: evidence for an anion transport mechanism at the tonoplast but not for fluid-phase endocytosis. Protoplasma 199: 185–129. , , .
- 2004. Induction of apoptosis in yeast and mammalian cells by exposure to 1,10-phenanthroline metal complexes. Toxicology in Vitro 18: 63–70. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The assembly of Ni2+-actin: some peculiarities. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1426: 32–42. , , , , , .
- 2001. Bioaccumulation of copper (II) and nickel (II) by the non-adapted and adapted growing Candida sp. Water Research 35: 1425–1434. , .
- 1994. Toxicity, uptake, and mutagenicity of particulate and soluble nickel compounds. Environmental Health Perspective 3: 69–79. , , , .
- 2001. The role of dynamin-related protein 1, a mediator of mitochondrial fission, in apoptosis. Developmental Cell 1: 515–525. , , , , , .
- 2002. Interaction of mitochondria with microtubules in the filamentous fungus Neurospora crassa. Journal of Cell Science 115: 1931–1937. , , , .
- 2005. HIV-1 Tat, apoptosis and the mitochondria: a tubulin link? Retrovirology 2: 7–10. .
- 2005. Identification of an upstream regulatory pathway controlling actin-mediated apoptosis in yeast. Journal of Cell Science 18: 2119–2132. , .
- 1997. Actin disruption by latrunculin B causes turgor-related changes in tip growth of Saprolegnia ferax hyphae. Fungal Genetics and Biology 21: 64–75. , .
- 1997. Do ectomycorrhizal fungi exhibit tolerance to potentially toxic metals in the environment? Plant and Soil 189: 303–319. , , .
- 1997. Metallocenter assembly in nickel-containing enzymes. Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry 2: 279–286. .
- 1998. Kinesin and dynein superfamily proteins in organelle transport and cell division. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 10: 60–73. , , .
- 1997. Copper-binding proteins in ectomycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 135: 123–131. , , .
- 1994. The role of nickel and nickel-mediated reactive oxygen species in the mechanism of nickel carcinogenesis. Environmental and Health Perspective 102: 281–284. , , , , .
- 1999. Microtubules but not actin microfilaments regulate vacuole motility and morphology in hyphae of Pisolithus tinctorius. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 42: 114–124. , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular cloning, characterization and regulation by cadmium of a superoxide dismutase from the ectomycorrhizal fungus Paxillus involutus. European Journal of Biochemistry 268: 3223–3232. , , , , , , .
- 2005. DRP-1-mediated mitochondrial fragmentation during EGL-1-induced cell death in C. elegans. Nature 433: 754–760. , , , .
- 1996. Hyphae and hyphal extension. In: , , eds. Fungal biology: understanding the fungal lifestyle. Abingdon, UK: Bios Scientific Publishers, 1–15. , .
- 1995. Nickel resistance mechanisms in yeasts and other fungi. Journal of Industrial Microbiology 14: 164–168. , , , .
- 2003. Dynamics of mitochondrial morphology in healthy cells and during apoptosis. Cell Death and Differentiation 10: 870–880. , .
- 2001. A study of the protein secretory pathway of Aspergillus niger using a glucoamylase–GFP fusion protein. Fungal Genetics and Biology 32: 55–65. , , .
- 2002. Nickel (II)-induced apoptosis in murine T cell hybridoma cells is associated with increased fas ligand expression. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 185: 41–47. , , , , .
- 2003. Membrane tube formation from giant vesicles by dynamic association of motor proteins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 15583–15588. , , , .
- 1998. Nickel (II) -induced apoptosis and G2/M enrichment. Experimental and Molecular Medicine 30: 171–176. , , , , , .
- 1996. Nickel (Ni2+) enhancement of α-tubulin acetylation of cultured 3T3 cells. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 140: 461–470. , , .
- 1981. Nickel II a new inhibitor of mitochondrial calcium transport. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 656: 177–182. , , , .
- 1990. Studies on the mechanisms of nickel ion-induced cell injury I. Effects of nickel ion on microtubules. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 106: 209–221. , .
- 2003. Mitochondrial dynamics. Tansley Review New Phytologist 160: 463–478. .
- 1969. The influence of ectotrophic mycorrhizal fungi on the resistance of pine roots to pathogenic infections. I. Antagonism of mycorrhizal fungi to root pathogenic fungi and soil bacteria. Phytopathology 59: 153–163. .
- 2000. Microtubules are required for motility and positioning of vesicles and mitochondria in hyphal tip cells of Allomyces macrogynus. Fungal Genetics and Biology 31: 233–244. , .
- 2000. An investigation of fibroplast mitochondria enzyme activity and respiration in response to metallic ions released from dental alloys. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research 50: 598–604. , , , .
- 1984. Nickel transport in nickel-resistant strains of Neurospora crassa. Current Microbiology 10: 125–128. , , .
- 1995. Axonal transport of mitochondria along microtubules and F-actin in living vertebrate neurons. Journal of Cell Biology 131: 1315–1326. , .
- 1998. Ethane-freezing/methanol-fixation of cell monolayers: a procedure for improved preservation of structure and antigenicity for light and electron microscopies. Journal of Structural Biology 121: 326–342. , , .
- 1998. Proton gradient-driven nickel uptake by vacuolar membrane vesicles of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Journal of Bacteriology 180: 1962–1964. , , .
- 1993. Polyphosphate granules are an artefact of specimen preparation in the ectomycorrhizal fungus Pisolithus tinctorius. Protoplasma 173: 91–102. , .
- 2001. Ni2+, a double-acting inhibitor of neuronal nitric oxide synthase interfering with l-arginine binding and Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent enzyme activation. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 285: 142–146. , , , .
- 2003. Apoptosis induced by environmental stresses and amphotericin B in Candida albicans. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 14327–14332. , , .
- 2003. Regulation of phospholipase D by P2X7 receptor in submandibular duct cells. Cellular Signalling 15: 927–935. , , , .
- 1998. Nickel enhances collagen-induced platelet activation acting by increasing the organization of the cytoskeleton. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 79: 395–399. , , , , , .
- 2003. Metal-induced apoptosis: mechanisms. Mutation Research 533: 227–241. , .
- 2001. Mechanisms of arsenic-induced cross-tolerance to nickel cytotoxicity, genotoxicity, and apoptosis in rat liver epithelial cells. Toxicological Science 63: 189–195. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The effect of ropy-1 mutation on cytoplasmic organization and intracellular motility in mature hyphae of Neurospora crassa. Fungal Genetics and Biology 37: 171–179. , , , .
- 2002. Plant responses to abiotic stresses: heavy metal-induced oxidative stress and protection by mycorrhization. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1351–1365. , .
- 1999. Division versus fusion: Dnm1p and Fzo1p antagonistically regulate mitochondrial shape. Journal of Cell Biology 147: 699–706. , .
- 1990. Polyvalent cations inhibit human neutrophil chemotaxis by interfering with the polymerization of actin. Journal of Biological Chemistry 265: 13457–13463. , .
- 1995. Actin-dependent mitochondrial motility in mitotic yeast and cell-free systems: identification of a motor activity on the mitochondrial surface. Journal of Cell Biology 130: 345–354. , , .
- 1998. Kinesin from the plant pathogenic fungus Ustilago maydis is involved in vacuole formation and cytoplasmic migration. Journal of Cell Science 111: 2235–2246. , , , , , .
- 1978. Interaction of actin with divalent cations part 2. Characterization of protein metal complexes. European Journal of Biochemistry 88: 229–238. , , .
- 2003. Mitochondrial movement and morphology depend on an intact actin cytoskeleton in Aspergillus nidulans. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 45: 42–50. , .
- 2004. Fzo1, a protein involved in mitochondrial fusion, inhibits apoptosis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 52726–52734. , , .
- 1994. Element distribution in mycelium of Pisolithus arrhizus treated with cadmium dust. Annals of Botany 34: 137–142. , , , .
- 1993. Paxillus involutus-Pinus sylvestris Mycorrhizae from heavily polluted forest. I. Element localisation using electron energy loss spectroscopy and imaging. Botanica Acta 106: 213–219. , , .
- 1990. Breakdown of cytoplasmic vacuoles. A model of endoplasmic membrane rearrangement. Protoplasma 155: 144–152. , , , .
- 1996. Mitochondrial control of nuclear apoptosis. Journal of Experimental Medicine 183: 1533–1544. , , , , , , .