Enhanced monsoon precipitation and nitrogen deposition affect leaf traits and photosynthesis differently in spring and summer in the desert shrub Larrea tridentata
Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2006
Volume 169, Issue 4, pages 799–808, February 2006
How to Cite
Barker, D. H., Vanier, C., Naumburg, E., Charlet, T. N., Nielsen, K. M., Newingham, B. A. and Smith, S. D. (2006), Enhanced monsoon precipitation and nitrogen deposition affect leaf traits and photosynthesis differently in spring and summer in the desert shrub Larrea tridentata. New Phytologist, 169: 799–808. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01628.x
- Issue online: 26 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2006
- Received: 4 August 2005 Accepted: 24 October 2005
- 1999. Short-term patterns in water and nitrogen acquisition by two desert shrubs following a simulated summer rain. Plant Ecology 145: 27–36. , , , , , .
- 2003. In vivo temperature response functions of parameters required to model RuBP-limited photosynthesis. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1419–1430. , , .
- 2001. Improved temperature response functions for models of Rubisco-limited photosynthesis. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 253–259. , , , , .
- 2002. Alterations of nitrogen dynamics under elevated carbon dioxide in an intact Mojave Desert ecosystem: evidence from nitrogen-15 natural abundance. Oecologia 131: 463–467. , , , , , .
- 1985. Resource limitation in plants – an economic analogy. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 363–392. , III, .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 2003. The use of low [CO2] to estimate diffusional and non-diffusional limitations of photosynthetic capacity of salt-stressed saplings. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 585–594. , , .
- 1980. The mineral nutrition of wild plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 11: 233–260. .
- 2000. Seasonal CO2 assimilation and stomatal limitations in a Pinus taeda canopy. Tree Physiology 20: 435–445. .
- 2004. Photosynthesis, carboxylation and leaf nitrogen responses of 16 species to elevated pCO2 across four free-air CO2 enrichment experiments in forest, grassland and desert. Global Change Biology 10: 2121–2138. , , , , , .
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationship in leaves of C3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 1989. The allocation of protein nitrogen in the photosynthetic apparatus: cost, consequences and control. In: BriggsWR, ed. Photosynthesis. New York, NY, USA: Liss, 183–205. , .
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317–345. , .
- 2001. Models of photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 125: 42–45. , , .
- 2003. Nitrogen emissions, deposition, and monitoring in the western United States. Bioscience 53: 391–403. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. The photosynthesis–nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: GivnishTJ, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 25–55. , .
- 2002. Drought-inhibition of photosynthesis in C3 plants. Stomatal and non-stomatal limitations revisited. Annals of Botany 89: 183–189. , .
- 1994. Effects of plant size and water relations on gas exchange and growth of the desert shrub Larrea tridentata. Oecologia 97: 171–178. , , , , .
- 1998. The global nitrogen cycle: changes and consequences. Environmental Pollution 102: 15–24. .
- 2004. Nitrogen cycles: past, present, and future. Biogeochemistry 70: 153–226. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Stomatal, mesophyll conductance and biochemical limitations to photosynthesis as affected by drought and leaf ontogeny in ash and oak trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 834–849. , .
- 1994. The role of plasticity in exploiting environmental heterogeneity. In: CaldwellMM, PearcyRoyal, eds. Exploitation of environmental heterogeneity in plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 1–18. .
- 1992. Modeling photosynthesis of cotton grown in elevated CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 271–282. , , , .
- 2001. Intercomparison of the principal modes of interannual and intraseasonal variability of the North American Monsoon System. Journal of Climate 14: 403–417. , .
- 1999. Nitrogen limitation in dryland ecosystems: responses to geographical and temporal variation in precipitation. Biogeochemistry 46: 247–293. , .
- 2001. Climate change 2001: the scientific basis. Contribution of Working Group 1 to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Status of flora and fauna on the Nevada test site, 1994. DOE/NV/11432-195 UC-721. National Technical. Information Service, 89. Springfield, VA, USA: US Department Commerce, 590–596. .
- 2004. Precipitation pulses and carbon fluxes in semiarid and arid ecosystems. Oecologia 141: 254–268. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Biotic, abiotic and performance aspects of the Nevada desert free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) facility. Global Change Biology 5: 659–668. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. High foliar nitrogen in desert shrubs: an important ecosystem trait or defective desert doctrine? Ecology 77: 1728–1737. , .
- 1989. The effect of water and nitrogen amendments on photosynthesis, leaf demography, and resource-use efficiency in Larrea tridentata, a desert evergreen shrub. Oecologia 80: 341–348. , .
- 2004. Carbon sequestration in dryland ecosystems. Environmental Management 33: 528–544. .
- 2002. Photosynthetic carbon assimilation and associated metabolism in relation to water deficits in higher plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 275–294. , .
- 1999. Effects of elevated [CO2] on photosynthesis in European forest species: a meta-analysis of model parameters. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 1475–1496. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Regulation of photosynthesis of C3 plants in response to progressive drought: stomatal conductance as a reference parameter. Annals of Botany 89: 895–905. , , , , .
- 1988. Effects of manipulations of water and nitrogen regime on the water relations of the desert shrub Larrea tridentata. Oecologia 77: 480–486. , , , .
- 1979. Nutrient relations of the evergreen shrub Adenostoma fasciculatum in the California chaparral. Botanical Gazette 140: 109–113. , .
- 2003. Photosynthetic responses of Mojave desert shrubs to free air CO2 enrichment are greatest during wet years. Global Change Biology 9: 276–285. , , , , , .
- 2004. Photosynthetic responses of Larrea tridentata to seasonal temperature extremes under elevated CO2. New Phytologist 162: 323–330. , , .
- 2003. Climate-driven increases in global terrestrial production from 1982 to 1999. Science 300: 1560–1563. , , , , , , , .
- 1973. Desert ecosystems: environment and producers. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 4: 23–51. .
- 2002. An inexpensive, accurate method for measuring leaf area and defoliation through digital analysis. Journal of Economic Entomology 95: 1190–1194. , , .
- 2002. Desert dogma revisited: coupling of stomatal conductance and photosynthesis in the desert shrub, Larrea tridentata. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 909–921. , .
- 1997. From tropics to tundra: global convergence in plant functioning. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 13730–13734. , , .
- 1998. Leaf structure (specific leaf area) modulates photosynthesis-nitrogen relations: evidence from within and across species and functional groups. Functional Ecology 12: 948–958. , , .
- 1999. Generality of leaf trait relationships: a test across six biomes. Ecology 80: 1955–1969. , , , , , , .
- 1980. Ecotonal distribution of salt-tolerant shrubs in the northern Mojave Desert. Great Basin Naturalist Memoirs 4: 134–139. , .
- 2001. Relationships between plant nitrogen economy and life history in three deciduous-forest herbs. Journal of Ecology 89: 385–394. , .
- 1994. Relationships among maximal stomatal conductance, ecosystem surface conductance, carbon assimilation rate, and plant nitrogen nutrition: a global ecology scaling exercise. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 25: 629–660. , , , , .
- 1990. Nitrogen and phosphorus. In: TurnerBL, ClarkWC, KaesRW, RichardsJF, MathewsJT, MeyerWB, eds. The Earth as transformed by human action. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 423–436. .
- 1990. Ecophysiology of plants in the Intermountain lowlands. In: OsmondCB, PitelkaLF, HidyGM, eds. Plant biology of the basin and range. Ecological studies, Vol. 80. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 179–241. , .
- 1997. Physiological ecology of North American desert plants. Berlin, Germany: Springer. , , .
- 1990. Biological invasions and ecosystem processes: towards an integration of population biology and ecosystem studies. Oikos 57: 7–13. .
- 1997. Human alteration of the global nitrogen cycle: sources and consequences. Ecological Applications 73: 737–750. , , .
- 2003. Assessing the response of terrestrial ecosystems to potential changes in precipitation. Bioscience 53: 941–952. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Nitrogen in desert ecosystems. Stroudsburg, PA, USA: Dowden, Hutchinson & Ross. , .
- 1979. Stomatal conductance correlates with photosynthetic capacity. Nature 282: 424–426. , , .
- 1985. Leaf conductance in relation to rate of CO2 assimilation. I. Influence of nitrogen nutrition, phosphorus nutrition, photon flux density, and ambient partial pressure of CO2 during ontogeny. Plant Physiology 78: 821–825. , , .
- 2001. Strategy shifts in leaf physiology, structure and nutrient content between species of high- and low-rainfall and high- and low-nutrient habitats. Functional Ecology 15: 423–434. , , .
- 2003. Least-cost input mixtures of water and nitrogen for photosynthesis. American Naturalist 161: 98–111. , , .
- 1993. Biochemical limitations to carbon assimilation in C3 plants – a retrospective analysis of the A/Ci curves from 109 species. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 907–920. .
- 2000. Responses of photosynthesis and water relations to rainfall in the desert shrub creosote bush (Larrea tridentata) as influenced by municipal biosolids. Journal of Arid Environments 46: 397–412. , , , , , .