Rubisco synthesis, turnover and degradation: some new thoughts on an old problem
Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2006
Volume 169, Issue 3, pages 445–448, February 2006
How to Cite
Hirel, B. and Gallais, A. (2006), Rubisco synthesis, turnover and degradation: some new thoughts on an old problem. New Phytologist, 169: 445–448. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01641.x
- Issue online: 10 JAN 2006
- Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2006
- 2000. Carbon/nitogen interactions during ear and kernel development of maize. In: Westgate ME, Boote KJ, eds. Physiology and modeling kernel set in maize, Vol. 29. Madison, WI, USA: Crop Science Society of American and American Society of Agronomy, 15–24. , , .
- 2001. Stay-green: a consequence of the balance between supply and demand for nitrogen during grain filling. Annals of Applied Biology 138: 91–95. , , .
- 1998. Effect of short- and long-term elevated CO2 on the expression of ribulose-1,5-bisphospahte carboxylase/oxygenase genes and carbohydrate accumulation in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Plant Physiology 116: 715–723. , , .
- 1990. C and N mobilization from stalk and leaves during kernel filling by 13C and 15N tracing in Zea mays L. Plant Physiology 94: 1547–1553. , , .
- 1982. Physiological aspects of protein turnover. In: Boulter D, Parthier B, eds. Nucleic acids and proteins in plants. I. Structure, biochemistry and physiology of proteins. Encyclopedia of plant physiology. New Series. Berlin, Germany: Springer Verlag, 189–228. .
- 2001. Compartmentation of photosynthesis in cells and tissues of C4 plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 577–590. , , , , , .
- 1979. The most adundant protein the world. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 4: 241–244. .
- 2000. Protein degradation in C3 and C4 plants subjected to nutrient starvation; particular reference to ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase and glycolate oxidase. Plant Science 153: 15–23. , , .
- 1977. Leaf proteolytic activities and senescence of field grown corn (Zea mays L.). Plant Physiology 59: 290–294. , , .
- 2004. An approach to the genetics of nitrogen use efficiency in maize. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 295–306. , .
- 2006. Estimation of post-silking nitrogen uptake and remobilization in maize by 15N-labeling: a way to show protein turnover. Field Crops Research. (In press.) , , , , .
- 2004. Can less yield more? Is reducing nutrient input into the environment compatible with maintaining crop production? Trends in Plant Science 9: 597–605. , , .
- 2006. From agronomy and ecophysiology to molecular genetics for improving nitrogen use efficiency in crops. In: Efficient Nitrogen Use in Crop Production. Basra A, Goyal S, eds. Binghamton, NY, USA: Haworth's Food Product Press. (In press.) , .
- 2003. Prospects for improving nitrogen use efficiency: insights given by 15N-labelling experiments. Phytochemical Review. 2: 133–144. , .
- 2005. Physiology of maize II: Identification of physiological markers representative of the nitrogen status of maize (Zea mays L.) leaves, during grain filling. Physiologia Plantarum 124: 178–188. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. A dynamic model of Rubisco turnover in cereal leaves. New Phytologist 169: 493–504. , .
- 2005. Changes in the cellular and subcellular localization of glutamine synthetase and glutamate dehydrogenase during flag leaf senescence in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant and Cell Physiology 46: 964–974. , , , , .
- 2006. Combined agronomic and physiological aspects of nitrogen management in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Dynamic and integrated views highlighting the central role of the enzyme glutamine synthetase. New Phytologist 169: 265–278. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The degradation of the large subunit of Ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/ oxygenase into the 44-kDa fragment in the lysates of chloroplasts incubated in darkness. Plant Cell Physiology 43: 1390–1394. , , , .
- 2000. Genetic differences for nitrogen uptake and nitrogen utilization efficiencies in winter wheat. European Journal of Agronomy 12: 163–173. , , , .
- 1983. Changes in the Amounts of Ribulose Bisphosphate Carboxylase Synthesized and Degraded during the Life Span of Rice Leaf (Oryza sativa L.). Plant and Cell Physiology 24: 1079–1086. , , .
- 1984. Relation between Nitrogen and Ribulose-1,5-Bisphosphate Carboxylase in Rice leaves from emergence through senescence. Plant and Cell Physiology 25: 429–437. , , .
- 2005. Nitrogen management and senescence in two maize hybrids differing in the persistence of leaf greenness. Agronomic, physiological and molecular aspects. New Phytolologist 167: 483–492. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Characterization of the sink/source transition in tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.) shoots in relation to nitrogen management and leaf senescence. Planta 211: 510–518. , , , , .
- 2001. The challenge of remobilisation in plant nitrogen economy. A survey of physio-agronomic and molecular approaches. Annals of Applied Biology 138: 69–81. , , , .
- 2001. Sources of nitrogen, nitrogen cycle, root structure and nitrogen assimilation. In: Morot-Gaudry JF, ed. Nitrogen assimilation by plants. Enfield, NH, USA: Science Publishers, Inc., 5–14. , .
- 1980. Nitrogen redistribution during grain growth in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). II. Chloroplast Senescence and the degradation of ribulose-1,5-biphosphate carboxylase. Planta 149: 241–251. , , , , , , .
- 1986. Relationship between photosynthesis and protein synthesis in nmaize. Plant Physiology 80: 216–222. , , , .
- 1975. Loss of Ribulose 1,5-diphosphate carboxylase and increase in proteolytic activity during senescence of detached primary barley leaves. Plant Physiology 55: 1009–1015. , .
- 1995. The timing of maize leaf senescence and characterization of senescence-related cDNAs. Physiologia Plantarum 93: 673–682. , , , , , .
- 2004. New insights towards the function of glutamate dehydrogenase revealed during source-sink transition of tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.) plants grown under different nitrogen regimes. Physiologia Plantarum 120: 220–228. , , .
- 2004. Genetic analysis of the function of major leaf proteases in barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) nitrogen remobilization. Journal of Experiemental Botany. 55: 2607–2616. , , , , .