Rapid nitrogen transfer from ectomycorrhizal pines to adjacent ectomycorrhizal and arbuscular mycorrhizal plants in a California oak woodland
Article first published online: 25 JAN 2006
Volume 170, Issue 1, pages 143–151, March 2006
How to Cite
He, X., Bledsoe, C. S., Zasoski, R. J., Southworth, D. and Horwath, W. R. (2006), Rapid nitrogen transfer from ectomycorrhizal pines to adjacent ectomycorrhizal and arbuscular mycorrhizal plants in a California oak woodland. New Phytologist, 170: 143–151. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01648.x
- Issue published online: 25 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 25 JAN 2006
- Received: 28 September 2005 Accepted: 23 November 2005
- 1991. Nutrient transfer between the root zones of soybean and maize plants connected by a common mycorrhizal mycelium. Physiologia Plantarum 82: 423–432. , , , .
- 2002. The Nature and Properties of Soils. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall. , .
- 1983. The structure and function of ecto-mycorrhizal roots with special reference to their role in forming inter-plant connections and providing pathways for assimilate and water transport. Plant and Soil 167: 203–212. , , , .
- 1996. Working with Mycorrhizas in Forestry and Agriculture. ACIAR Monograph 32. Canberra, Australia: Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research. , , , .
- 2005. Basidiomycete mycelia in forest soils: dimensions, dynamics and roles in nutrient distribution. Mycological Research 109: 7–20. .
- 2004. Mycorrhizal transfer carbon from a native grass to an invasive weed: evidence from stable isotopes and physiology. Plant Ecology 172: 133–141. , , .
- 1996. Nitrogen transfer from legumes to cereals in intercropping. In: ItoO, JohansenC, Adu-GyamfiJJ, KatayamaK, RaoJVDK, RegoTJ, eds. Dynamics of Roots and Nitrogen in Cropping Systems of the Semi-Arid Tropics. Ibaraki, Japan: Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences, 351–374. .
- 2002a. Contrasting seasonal patterns of fine root production for blue oaks (Quercus douglasii) and annual grasses in California oak woodlands. Plant and Soil 240: 262–274. , .
- 2002b. Seasonal and site effects on oak fine root production and ectomycorrhizal colonization in California oak woodland. In: StandifordRB, McCrearyD, PurcellKL, eds. Proceedings of the Fifth Symposium on Oak Woodlands: Oaks in California's Changing Landscape, 22–25 October 2001, San Diego. General Technical Report PSW-GTR-184. Albany, CA, USA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, USDA, 99–106. http://danr.ucop.edu/ihrmp/proceed/cheng.pdf , .
- 2004. Competition for inorganic and organic N by blue oak (Quercus douglasii) seedlings, an annual grass, and soil microorganisms in a pot study. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 36: 135–144. , .
- 1982. Endomycorrhizal role for interspecific transfer of phosphorus in a community of annual plants. Science 217: 941–943. , , .
- 2004. Diversity of mycorrhizal fungi in a Mediterranean oak-woodland at different spatial and phylogenetic scales. Ecological Society of America Annual meeting, August 2004, Portland, OR, USA. The Ecological Society of America, Washington DC. See abstract http://abstracts.co.allenpress.com/pweb/esa2004/document/?ID=38127. , , .
- 2005. Contrasting root associated fungi of three common oak-woodland plant species based on molecular identification: host specificity or non-specific amplification? Mycorrhiza 15: 365–372. , , , .
- 1994. Forage legume roots and nodules and their role in nitrogen transfer. Agronomy Journal 86: 259–266. , .
- 1980. Structure and function of mycorrhizal rhizomorphs with special reference to their role in water transport. Nature 287: 834–836. , , .
- 2001. Endo- and ectomycorrhizas in Quercus agrifolia Nee (Fagaceae): patterns of root colonization and effects on seedling growth. Mycorrhiza 11: 283–290. , .
- 1990. A comparison of phosphorus and nitrogen transfer between plants of different phosphorus status. Oecologia 82: 342–347. .
- 1996. Carbon and nitrogen flow in silver birch and Norway spruce connected by a common mycorrhizal mycelium. Mycorrhiza 6: 465–467. , , .
- 1986a. The structure and function of the vegetative mycelium of ectomycorrhizal plants. I. Translocation of carbon-14 labeled carbon between plants interconnected by a common mycelium. New Phytologist 103: 143–156. , .
- 1986b. The structure and function of the vegetative mycelium of ectomycorrhizal plants. II. The uptake and distribution of phosphorus by mycelial strands interconnecting host plants. New Phytologist 103: 157–166. , .
- 1984. Direct transfer of carbon between plants connected by vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelium. Nature 307: 53–56. , .
- 1993. A role of vesicular–arbuscular (VA) mycorrhizal fungi in facilitating interplant nitrogen transfer. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 25: 651–658. , .
- 1993. Competitive effects of grassland annuals on soil water and blue oak (Quercus douglasii) seedlings. Ecology 74: 68–82. , .
- 1992. Mycorrhizal effects on interspecific plant competition and nitrogen transfer in legume–grass mixtures. Crop Science 32: 991–996. , , .
- 2003. Nitrogen transfer within and between plants through common mycorrhizal networks (CMNs). Critical Review in Plant Sciences 22: 531–567. , , .
- 2004. Reciprocal N (15NH4+or 15NO3−) transfer between non-N2-fixing Eucalyptus maculata and N2- fixing Casuarina cunninghamiana linked by the ectomycorrhizal fungus Pisolithus sp. New Phytologist 163: 629–640. , , , .
- 2005. Nodulated N2-fixing Casuarina cunninghamiana is the sink for net N transfer from nonN2-fixing Eucalyptus maculata via an ectomycorrhizal fungus Pisolithus sp. using 15NH4+ or 15NO3− supplied as ammonium nitrate. New Phytologist 167: 897–912. , , , .
- 1992. Injection of N-15 into trees to study nitrogen cycling in soil. Soil Science Society of America Journal 56: 316–319. , , .
- 1988. Plant and soil nitrogen dynamic in California annual grassland. Plant and Soil 110: 9–17. , , , .
- 1996. Transfer of N and P from intact or decomposing roots of pea to barley interconnected by an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 28: 73–81. , .
- 2002. In situ13CO2 pulse-labelling of upland grassland demonstrates a rapid pathway of carbon flux from arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelia to the soil. New Phytologist 153: 327–334. , , , , .
- 2005. Soil invertebrates disrupt carbon flow through fungal networks. Science 309: 1047. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Plant and mycorrhizal regulation of rhizodeposition. New Phytologist 163: 459–480. , , .
- 2001. Food-web dynamics – animal nitrogen swap for plant carbon. Nature 410: 651–652. , .
- 1995. Competition for soil water between perennial bunch-grass (Elymus glaucus B. B.) and blue oak seedlings (Quercus doulagsii H. & A.). Agroforestry Systems 32: 225–235. , .
- 1979. Physiology of Woody Plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2004. Networks of power and influence: the role of mycorrhizal mycelium in controlling plant communities and agroecosystem functioning. Canadian Journal of Botany 82: 1116–1145. , , , , , .
- 2002. 14C transfer between the spring ephemeral Erythronium americanum and sugar maple saplings via arbuscular mycorrhiza fungi in natural stands. Oecologia 132: 181–187. , , , , , .
- 1995. Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 1990. Fixation and transfer of nitrogen by white clover to ryegrass. Soil Use and Management 6: 84–86. , .
- 1999. Biomass and distribution of fine and coarse roots from blue oak (Quercus douglasii) trees in the northern Sierra Nevada foothills of California. Plant and Soil 214: 27–38. , .
- 1994. Blue-oak regeneration and seedling water relations in four sites within a California oak savanna. International Journal of Plant Sciences 155: 744–749. , , , , .
- 1988. Mycorrhizal links between plants: their functioning and ecological significance. Advances in Ecological Research 18: 243–271. .
- 1992. Interaction between plants: the role of mycorrhizae. Mycorrhiza 1: 47–53. , , , .
- 2001. Root exudates: a pathway for short-term N transfer from clover and ryegrass. Plant and Soil 229: 235–243. , , .
- 2001. Nutrient transfer from soil nematodes to plants: a direct pathway provided by the mycorrhizal mycelial network. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 1219–1226. , .
- 1998. A moveable feast: the evolution of resource sharing in plant–fungus communities. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13: 432–434. .
- 2003. Direct nocturnal water transfer from oaks to their mycorrhizal symbionts during severe soil drying. Oecologia 134: 55–64. , , .
- 2003. Mycorrhizas and nutrient cycling in ecosystems – a journey towards relevance? New Phytologist 157: 475–492. , .
- 1999. The magnitude and control of carbon transfer between plants linked by a common mycorrhizal network. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 9–13. , .
- 1980. Tripartite associations in snowbrush (Ceanothus velutinus): effect of vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizae on growth, nodulation, and nitrogen fixation. Canadian Journal of Botany 59: 34–39. , .
- 1983. Ecto- and endomycorrhizal fungus associations with Quercus imbricaria L. Plant and Soil 71: 309–312. , , .
- 2001. A simple urea leaf-feeding method for the production of 13C and 15N labeled plant material. Plant and Soil 229: 197–202. , .
- 1993. Natural abundance of 15N: fractional contribution of two sources to a common sink and use of isotope discrimination. In: KnowlesR, BlackburnTH, eds. Nitrogen Isotope Techniques. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 89–125. , .
- 2004. Mycorrhizal networks: a review of their extent, function, and importance. Canadian Journal of Botany 82: 1140–1165. , .
- 1997. Net transfer of carbon between ectomycorrhizal tree species in the field. Nature 388: 579–582. , , , , , .
- 2002. Carbon and nutrient fluxes within and between plants. In: Van Der HeijdenMGA, SandersIR, eds. Mycorrhizal Ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 33–74. , , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal Symbiosis. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 1995. Biometry: The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biology Research. San Francisco, CA, USA: W. H. Freeman. , .
- 2003. Rapid turnover of hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi determined by AMS microanalysis of 14C. Science 300: 1138–1140. , , , , .
- 1993. Nitrogen fixation and transfer in intercropping systems. Field Crops Research 34: 335–356. .
- 1989. Competition, nutrient reduction and the competitive neighborhood of a bunchgrass. Functional Ecology 3: 215–220. .
- 2002. Biodiversity of mycorrhizas on Garry oak (Quercus garryana) in a southern Oregon savanna. In: StandifordRB, McCrearyD, PurcellKL, eds. Proceedings of the Fifth Symposium on Oak Woodlands: Oaks in California's Changing Landscape, 22–25 October 2001, San Diego. General Technical Report PSW-GTR-184. Albany, CA, USA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, USDA, 151–157. http://danr.ucop.edu/ihrmp/proceed/valentine.pdf , , , , .
- 2003. Root exudation and rhizosphere biology. Plant Physiology 132: 44–51. , , , .
- 1991. Capture and allocation of nitrogen by Quercus douglasii seedlings in competition with annual and perennial grasses. Oecologia 87: 459–466. , , .
- 2006. Comparing 15N-labelling techniques for enriching above- and below-ground components of the plant–soil system. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38: 397–400. , , .