Organic anion exudation by ectomycorrhizal fungi and Pinus sylvestris in response to nutrient deficiencies
Article first published online: 25 JAN 2006
Volume 170, Issue 1, pages 153–163, March 2006
How to Cite
Van Schöll, L., Hoffland, E. and Van Breemen, N. (2006), Organic anion exudation by ectomycorrhizal fungi and Pinus sylvestris in response to nutrient deficiencies. New Phytologist, 170: 153–163. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01649.x
- Issue published online: 25 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 25 JAN 2006
- Received: 29 September 2005 Accepted: 25 November 2005
- 2000. Organic acids produced by mycorrhizal Pinus sylvestris exposed to elevated aluminium and heavy metal concentrations. New Phytologist 146: 557–567. , , , .
- 2003. Release of oxalate and protons by ectomycorrhizal fungi in response to P-deficiency and calcium carbonate in nutrient solution. Annals of Forest Science 60: 815–821. , , .
- 1997. Does atmospheric deposition of nitrogen threaten Swedish forests? Forest Ecology and Management 92: 119–152. , .
- 2002. The fungal sheath of ectomycorrhizal pine roots: an apoplastic barrier for the entry of calcium, magnesium, and potassium into the root cortex? Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1659–1669. , , , .
- 2003. Quantification of oxalate ions and protons released by ectomycorrhizal fungi in rhizosphere soil. Agronomie 23: 461–469. , , , .
- 1998. Physiology of organic nitrogen acquisition by ectomycorrhizal fungi and ectomycorrhizas. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 22: 21–44. , .
- 2001. Organic acid exudation by Laccaria bicolor and Pisolithus tinctorius exposed to aluminum in vitro. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 31: 703–710. , , , .
- 1997. The role of organic acids in mineral weathering. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 120: 167–181. , .
- 1996. Oxalate production by fungi: its role in pathogenicity and ecology in the soil environment. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 42: 881–895. , .
- 1999. Fungal production of citric and oxalic acid: Importance in metal speciation, physiology and biogeochemical processes. Advances in Microbial Physiology 41: 47–92. .
- 1999. Influence of nitrogen source on the solubilization of natural gypsum (CaSO4·2H2O) and the formation of calcium oxalate by different oxalic and citric acid-producing fungi. Mycological Research 103: 473–481. , .
- 2003. Extraction of potassium and/or magnesium from selected soil minerals by Piloderma. Geomicrobiology Journal 20: 99–111. , , .
- 1994. Soil solution chemistry of ectomycorrhizal mats in forest soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 26: 331–337. , , .
- 2004. Recent C14-labelled assimilate allocation to Scots pine seedling root and mycorrhizosphere compartments developed on reconstructed podzol humus, E- and B-mineral horizons. Plant and Soil 259: 111–121. , , .
- 2004. The role of fungi in weathering. Frontiers in Ecology and Environment 2: 258–264. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Effect of organic acids on aluminium toxicity in subsoils. Soil Science Society of America Journal 50: 28–34. , , .
- 1979. Mineral nutrient requirements of Pinus silvestris and Picea abies seedlings. Physiologia Plantarum 45: 373–380. .
- 2001. Interdependence of phosphorus, nitrogen, potassium and magnesium translocation by the ectomycorrhizal fungus Paxillus involutus. New Phytologist 149: 327–337. , , , , .
- 1998. Organic acids in the rhizosphere – a critical review. Plant and Soil 205: 25–44. .
- 2003. Organic acid behavior in soils – misconceptions and knowledge gaps. Plant and Soil 248: 31–41. , , , .
- 1954. Two simple media for demonstration of pyocyanin and fluorescin. Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine 44: 301–307. , , .
- 1970. Paxillus involutus as a mycorrhizal symbiont of forest trees. Acta Forestalia Fennica 106: 5–72. .
- 2001. Linking plants to rocks: ectomycorrhizal fungi mobilize nutrients from minerals. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 16: 248–254. , , , , .
- 2003. Molecular identification of ectomycorrhizal mycelium in soil horizons. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 327–333. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Temporal and spatial development of magnesium deficiency in forest stands in Europe, North America and New Zealand. In: HüttlFR, SchaafW, eds. Magnesium deficiency in forest ecosystems. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic. , , .
- 1988. Oxalate synthesis from soil bicarbonate by the mycorrhizal fungus Paxillus involutus. Plant and Soil 110: 3–8. .
- 1987. Oxalic acid synthesis by the mycorrhizal fungus Paxillus involutus (Batsch. ex Fr.) Fr. New Phytologist 106: 139–146. , , .
- 1991. Phosphate-solubilizing activity of ectomycorrhizal fungi in vitro. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 342–346. , , .
- 1986. Comparison between the utilization of phosphorus from insoluble mineral phosphates by ectomycorrhizal fungi and rhizobacteria. In: Gianinazzi PearsonV, GianinazziS, eds. Physiological and genetical aspects of mycorrhizae: Proceedings of the 1st European Symposium on Mycorrhizae, Dijon. Paris, France: INRA, 345–349. , .
- 1989. Interactions between Laccaria laccata, Agrobacterium radiobacter and beech roots: influence on P, K, Mg, and Fe mobilization from minerals and plant growth. Plant and Soil 117: 103–110. , .
- 1991. Weathering of a mica by roots and rhizosphere microorganisms of pine. Soil Science Society of America Journal 55: 1009–1016. , .
- 1993. Rhizodeposition and net release of soluble organic compounds by pine and beech seedling inoculated with rhizobacteria and ectomycorrhizal fungi. Biology and Fertility of Soils 15: 259–267. , .
- 2000. Role of malonate in chickpeas. Phytochemistry 54: 585–589. , .
- 1969. The influence of ectotrophic mycorrhizal fungi on resistance of pine roots to pathogenic infections. I. Antagonism of mycorrhizal fungi to root pathogenic fungi and soil bacteria. Phytopathology 59: 153–163. .
- 1995a. In vitro weathering of phlogopite by ectomycorrhizal fungi. I. Effect of K+ and Mg2+ deficiency on phyllosilicate evolution. Plant and Soil 177: 191–201. , , , .
- 1995b. Weathering of ammonium- or calcium-saturated 2 : 1 phyllosilicates by ectomycorrhizal fungi in vitro. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 27: 1237–1244. , , , , .
- 1996. In vitro weathering of phlogopite by ectomycorrhizal fungi. 2. Effect of K+ and Mg+ deficiency and N sources on accumulation of oxalate and H+. Plant and Soil 179: 141–150. , , .
- 1997. Plant Analysis: An Interpretation Manual. Collingwood, Australia: CSIRO. , , .
- 2003. Vertical distribution of ectomycorrhizal root tips in a podzol soil profile. New Phytologist 159: 775–783. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Carbon allocation to ectomycorrhizal roots and mycelium colonising different mineral substrates. New Phytologist 162: 795–802. , , .
- 2001. Function and mechanism of organic anion exudation from plant roots. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 527–560. , , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal symbiosis. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2001. Influence of vegetation on low-molecular-weight carboxylic acids in soil solution – a review. Geoderma 99: 169–198. .
- 1991. Nitrogen in terrestrial ecosystems: questions of productivity, vegetational changes and ecosystem productivity. Berlin, Germany: Springer Verlag. .
- 1999. Optimum nutrition and nitrogen saturation in Scots pine stands. Studia Forestalia Suecica 1999: 1–126. , , , .
- 1997. Results of long-term K and Mg fertilizer experiments in afforestation. Forest Ecology and Management 91: 47–52. , .
- 2003. Impact of ectomycorrhizas on the concentration and biodegradation of simple organic acids in a forest soil. European Journal of Soil Science 54: 697–706. , , , .
- 2005. Organic acid concentrations in soil solution: effects of young coniferous trees and ectomycorrhizal fungi. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 37: 771–776. , , , .
- 2000. Uptake of P from apatite by Pinus sylvestris seedlings colonised by different ectomycorrhizal fungi. Plant and Soil 218: 249–256. .
- 2004. Do ectomycorrhizal fungi have a significant role in weathering of minerals in forest soil? Symbiosis 37: 249–257. , .
- 1999. Biotite and microcline as potassium sources in ectomycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal Pinus sylvestris seedlings. Mycorrhiza 9: 25–32. , .
- 1997. Apatite as a P source in mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal Pinus sylvestris seedlings. Plant and Soil 196: 123–131. , , .
- 1998. Determination of anions in soil solutions by capillary zone electrophoresis. Analyst 123: 721–724. , , .
- 2005. Plant phosphorus status has a limited influence on the concentration of phosphorus-mobilising carboxylates in the rhizosphere of chickpea. Functional Plant Biology 32: 153–159. , , .
- 2003. Malonate metabolism: biochemistry, molecular biology, physiology, and industrial application. Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 35: 443–451. .