Dynamic of the genetic structure of bacterial and fungal communities at different developmental stages of Medicago truncatula Gaertn. cv. Jemalong line J5
Article first published online: 25 JAN 2006
Volume 170, Issue 1, pages 165–175, March 2006
How to Cite
Mougel, C., Offre, P., Ranjard, L., Corberand, T., Gamalero, E., Robin, C. and Lemanceau, P. (2006), Dynamic of the genetic structure of bacterial and fungal communities at different developmental stages of Medicago truncatula Gaertn. cv. Jemalong line J5. New Phytologist, 170: 165–175. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01650.x
- Issue published online: 25 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 25 JAN 2006
- Received: 2 September 2005 Accepted: 23 November 2005
- 2000. Carbon metabolism and transport in arbuscular mycorrhizas. Plant Physiology 124: 949–957. , , .
- 2002. Impact of growth stages on the bacterial community structure along maize roots by metabolic and genetic fingerprinting. Applied Soil Ecology 19: 135–145. , , .
- 2001. Contrasting effects of microbes in the rhizosphere: interactions of mycorrhiza (Paxillus involutus (Batsch) Fr.), naked amoebae (Protozoa) and Norway Spruce seedling (Picea abies Karst.). Applied Soil Ecology 18: 193–204. , , .
- 1991. The rhizosphere: the hidden half of the hidden half. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant roots: the hidden half. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 641–670. , .
- 1995. Influence of two plant species (flax and tomato) on the distribution of nitrogen dissimilative abilities within fluorescent Pseudomonas spp. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 61: 1745–1749. , , , .
- 1999. Medicago truncatula– a model in the making. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 2: 301–304. .
- 2005. Living in a fungal world: impact of fungi on soil bacterial niche development. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 29: 795–811. , , , .
- 2001. Growth of chitinolytic dune soil β-subclass Proteobacteria in response to invading fungal hyphae. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 67: 3358–3362. , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of the dynamics of bacterial communities in the rhizosphere of the chrysanthemum via denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis and substrate utilization patterns. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 64: 4950–4957. , , , .
- 1997. Evaluation of restriction analysis of polymerase chain reaction (PCR)-amplified ribosomal DNA for the identification of Fusarium species. Mycological Research 101: 179–187. , , , .
- 2002. Root life span, efficiency, and turnover. In: WaiselY, EshelA, KafkafiU, eds. Plant roots: the hidden half. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 221–238. , .
- 2004. Ectomycorrhizal symbiosis affects functional diversity of rhizosphere fluorescent pseudomonads. New Phytologist 165: 317–328. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Morphogenetic modifications induced by Pseudomonas fluorescens A6RI and Glomus mosseae BEG12 in the root system of tomato differ according to plant growth conditions. New Phytologist 155: 293–300. , , , , .
- 2004. Impact of two fluorescent pseudomonads and an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus on tomato plant growth, root architecture and P acquisition. Mycorrhiza 14: 185–192. , , , , , .
- 1994. Helper bacteria: a new dimension to the mycorrhizal symbiosis. New Phytologist 128: 197–210. .
- 1993. ITS primers with enhanced specificity for basidiomycetes: application to the identification of mycorrhiza and rusts. Molecular Ecology 2: 113–118. , .
- 2000. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of water-soluble root exudates in relation to plant species and development. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Sciences 163: 381–385. , .
- 1998. Selective influence of plant species on microbial diversity in the rhizosphere. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 30: 369–378. , , , .
- 2000. Ecological resilience in theory and application. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31: 425–439. .
- 1972. Influence of age and stage of development on the neutral carbohydrate components in root exudates from alfalfa plants grown in a gnotobiotic environment. Canadian Journal of Plant Sciences 52: 633–642. , , .
- 2002. Plant rhizodeposition – an important source for carbon turnover in soils. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 165: 397–407. , , .
- 2002. In situ (CO2)–13C pulse labelling of upland grassland demonstrates a rapid pathway of carbon flux from arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelia to the soil. New Phytologist 153: 327–334. , , , , .
- 2002. Microbial communities and their interactions in soils and rhizosphere ecosystem. Annual Review of Microbiology 56: 211–236. , .
- 1984. Soluble root exudates of maize: influence of potassium supply and rhizosphere microorganisms. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 16: 315–322. , , .
- 2000. Carbon input by plants into the soil. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 163: 421–431. , .
- 1996. The composition of fluorescent pseudomonad population associated with roots is influenced by plant and soil type. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 62: 2449–2556. , , , , .
- 2003. Identification of traits implicated in the rhizosphere competence of fluorescent pseudomonads: description of a strategy based on population and model strain studies. Agronomie 23: 397–405. , , , .
- 1995. Effect of two plant species, flax (Linum usitatissimum L.) and tomato (Lycopersicum esculentum Mill.), on the diversity of soilborne populations of fluorescent pseudomonads. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 61: 1004–1012. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Changes in bacterial populations along roots of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) seedlings. Biology and Fertility of Soils 10: 276–280. , , .
- 2003. Dynamics of fungal communities in bulk and maize rhizosphere soil in the tropics. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 3758–3766. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Phylogenetic diversity of bacterial communities differing in degree of proximity of Lolium perenne and Trifolium repens roots. Applied Soil Ecology 13: 127–136. , .
- 2005. Interactions between plant species and mycorrhizal colonization on the bacterial community composition in the rhizosphere. Applied Soil Ecology 28: 23–36. , .
- 2001. Arbuscular mycorrhizal infection changes the bacterial 16S rDNA community composition in the rhizosphere of maize. Mycorrhiza 11: 297–302. , , .
- 1977. Factors influencing the loss of organic carbon from wheat roots. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 9: 1–7. .
- 1996. ITS analysis of prokaryotes. In: AkkermansDL, Van ElsasJD, De BruijnEI, eds. Molecular microbial ecology manual Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic, 1–12. , , , , .
- 2000. A soil microscale study to reveal the heterogeneity of Hg (II) impact on indigenous bacteria by quantification of adapted phenotypes and analysis of community DNA fingerprints. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 31: 107–115. , , , , , .
- 2001. Characterization of bacterial and fungal soil communities by automated ribosomal intergenic spacer analysis fingerprints: biological and methodological variability. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 67: 4479–4487. , , , , , .
- 2003. Sampling strategy in molecular microbial ecology: influence of soil sample size on DNA fingerprinting analysis of fungal and bacterial communities. Environmental Microbiology 5: 1111–1120. , , , , , .
- 2004. Common gene expression in Medicago truncatula roots in response to Pseudomonas fluorescens colonization, mycorrhiza development and nodulation. New Phytologist 161: 855–863. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Taxonomic position and intraspecific variability of the nodule forming Penicillium nodositatum inferred from RFLP analysis of the ribosomal intergenic spacer and random amplified polymorphic DNA. Mycological Research 101: 465–472. , , , , , .
- 2001. Bulk and rhizosphere soil bacterial communities studied by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis: plant-dependent enrichment and seasonal shifts revealed. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 67: 4742–4751. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Structure and activity of the bacterial community in the rhizosphere of different plant species and the effect of arbuscular mycorrhizal colonisation. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 40: 223–231. , , .
- 1993. In planta histochemical staining of fungal alkaline phosphatase activity for analysis of efficient arbuscular mycorrhizal infections. Mycological Research 97: 245–250. , , , .
- 1986. Mesure du taux de mycorhization VA d’un système radiculaire. Recherche de méthodes d’estimation ayant une signification fonctionnelle. In: Gianinazzi-Pearson, V, Gianinazzi, S, eds. Physiological and genetical aspects of mycorrhizae. Paris, France: INRA, 217–221. , , .
- 1991. Carbon in N2 fixation: limitation or exquisite adaptation. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 42: 373–392. , .
- 1990. Carbon economy. In: LynchJM, ed. The rhizosphere. New York, NY, USA: Wiley, 59–97. .
- 2001. Variation of microbial communities in soil, rhizosphere, and rhizoplane in response to crop species, soil type and crop development. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 67: 5849–5854. , , .
- 2000. Rhizosphere microbial community structure in relation to root location and plant iron nutritional status. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 66: 345–351. , .
- 2003. Legume genomes: more than peas in a pod. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 199–204. , , .
- 1998. Dry matter accumulation and dinitrogen fixation of annual Medicago species. Agronomy Journal 90: 103–108. , , , .