Conifers in cold environments synchronize maximum growth rate of tree-ring formation with day length
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2006
Volume 170, Issue 2, pages 301–310, April 2006
How to Cite
Rossi, S., Deslauriers, A., Anfodillo, T., Morin, H., Saracino, A., Motta, R. and Borghetti, M. (2006), Conifers in cold environments synchronize maximum growth rate of tree-ring formation with day length. New Phytologist, 170: 301–310. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01660.x
- Issue online: 10 FEB 2006
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2006
- Received: 7 September 2005 Accepted: 26 November 2005
- 1997. Changes in the arrangement of cellulose microfibrils associated with the cessation of cell expansion in tracheids. Trees 11: 328–332. , , , .
- 2002. The relative advantages of plasticity and fixity in different environments: when is it good for a plant to adjust? Evolutionary Ecology 16: 285–297. , .
- 2002. Tissue processing and microtomy including frozen. In: BancroftJD, GambleM, eds. Theory and practice of histological techniques. London, UK: Churchill Livingstone, 85–107. , .
- 1997. Effects of environmental factors on wood formation in larch (Larix sibirica Ldb.) stems. Trees 11: 462–468. , .
- 2004. Response of spring phenology to climate change. New Phytologist 162: 295–309. , , , , , .
- 1998. Tree-ring growth and structure of Pinus uncinata and Pinus sylvestris in the Central Spanish Pyrenees. Arctic and Alpine Research 30: 1–10. , , .
- 1999. Climatic determinants of budburst seasonality in four temperate-zone tree species. New Phytologist 143: 339–349. , .
- 1971. Temperature and tracheid development in Pinus sylvestris seedlings. Journal of Experimental Botany 22: 362–370. .
- 1976. Effects of environmental change on wood production and wood structure in Picea sitchensis seedlings. Annals of Botany 40: 1017–1028. .
- 2005. Intra-annual tracheid production in balsam fir stems and the effect of meteorological variables. Trees 19: 402–408. , .
- 2003a. Cellular phenology of annual ring formation of Abies balsamea in the Québec boreal forest (Canada). Canadian Journal of Forest Research 33: 190–200. , , .
- 2003b. Daily weather response of balsam fir (Abies balsamea (L.) Mill.) stem radius increment from dendrometer analysis in the boreal forests of Québec (Canada). Trees 17: 477–484. , , , .
- 1991. Seasonal changes in lignin distribution during tracheid development in Pinus radiata. Wood Science and Technology 25: 15–24. .
- 2001. Lignification and lignin topochemistry – an ultrastructural view. Phytochemistry 57: 859–873. .
- 2004. Interpreting sub-annual wood and fibre property variation in terms of stem growth. In: SchmittU, AnderP, BarnettJR, EmonsAMC, JeronimidisG, SaranpääP, TscheggS, eds. Wood fibre cell walls: methods to study their formation, structure and properties. Uppsala, Sweden: Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, 265–281. , , .
- 1998. Applied regression analysis. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons. , .
- 1978. Influence of environmental factors on cell production and differentiation in the earlywood of Picea sitchensis. Annals of Botany 42: 683–692. , , .
- 2000. Increment puncher: a tool for extracting small cores of wood and bark from living trees. IAWA Journal 21: 169–180. , , .
- 2000. The influence of temperature on latewood lignin content in treeline Norway spruce compared with maximum density and ring width. Trees 14: 409–414. , , .
- 1968. A comparison of cambial activity of white spruce in Alaska and New England. Canadian Journal of Botany 46: 733–734. , .
- 2005. Differentiation of terminal latewood tracheids in Silver fir trees during autumn. Annals of Botany 95: 959–965. , , , .
- 1993. Daylength and thermal time responses of budburst during dormancy release in some northern deciduous trees. Physiologia Plantarum 88: 531–540. .
- 2001. A transcriptional roadmap to wood formation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 14732–14737. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Effects of environment on the xylogenesis of Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.). In: WimmerR, VetterR, eds. Tree-ring analysis: biology, methodological and environmental aspects. Wallingford, UK: CAB International, 33–53. , , .
- 1998. Heterochrony and allometry: the analysis of evolutionary change in ontogeny. Biology Review 73: 73–123. .
- 2000. The importance of phenology for the evaluation of impact of climate change on growth of boreal, temperate and Mediterranean forest ecosystems: an overview. International Journal of Biometeorology 44: 67–75. , , .
- 2003. Multiproxy dendroclimatology: a pilot study in northern Finland. Holocene 13: 831–841. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Seasonal changes in stem radius and production of new tracheids in Norway spruce. Tree Physiology 23: 959–968. , , .
- 1987. Fitting curves to data using nonlinear regression: a practical and nonmathematical review. FASEB Journal 1: 365–374. , .
- 1985. Tracheid differentiation in southern pines during the dormant season. Wood and Fibre Science 17: 397–403. , .
- 1998. Effect of photoperiod and temperature on the timing of bud burst in Norway spruce (Picea abies). Tree Physiology 18: 811–816. , , .
- 2001. Effect of accumulated duration of the light period on bud burst in Norway spruce (Picea abies) of varying ages. Silva Fennica 35: 111–117. , , .
- 2001. Wood formation in trees. Plant Physiology 127: 1513–1523. , , .
- 2003. Phase change and the regulation of developmental timing in plants. Science 301: 334–336. .
- 1990. Handbook of nonlinear regression models. New York: Marcel Dekker. .
- 2003. Intra-annual dynamics of tree-ring formation and effects of the environmental factors at the timberline in the Eastern Alps. PhD thesis, University of Padova, Padova, Italy. .
- 2006. Trephor: a new tool for sampling microcores from tree stems. IAWA Journal 27: 89–97. , , .
- 2003. Application of the Gompertz equation for the study of xylem cell development. Dendrochronologia 21: 33–39. , , .
- 1999. Les régions écologiques du Québec méridionale, 3rd edn. Québec, Canada: Ministère des Ressources Naturelles. .
- 1996. Xylogenesis, genetic and environmental regulation, a review. IAWA Journal 17: 269–310. .
- 2004. Cambium dynamics of Pinus sylvestris and Betula spp. in the northern boreal forest in Finland. Silva Fennica 38: 167–178. , , .
- 2003. Polar auxin transport in the wood-forming tissues of hybrid aspen is under simultaneous control of developmental and environmental signals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 10096–10101. , , , , , , .
- 2004. A high-resolution transcript profile across the wood-forming meristem of poplar identifies potential regulators of cambial stem cell identity. Plant Cell 16: 2278–2292. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Phytochromes and light signal perception by plants – an emerging synthesis. Nature 407: 585–591. .
- 2001. Function and dynamics of auxin and carbohydrates during earlywood/latewood transition in Scots pine. Plant Physiology 125: 2029–2039. , , , .
- 1998. Indole-3-acetic acid controls cambial growth in Scots pine by positional signalling. Plant Physiology 117: 113–121. , , .
- 1999. Influence of snowfall and melt timing on tree growth in subarctic Eurasia. Nature 400: 149–151. , , , , .
- 2002. Relationship between anatomical and densitometric characteristics of black spruce and summer temperature at tree line in northern Québec. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32: 477–486. , , .
- 1971. Mechanism of xylem differentiation in Pinus sylvestris L. Journal of Experimental Botany 22: 670–687. .
- 1993. Analysis of growth equations. Forest Science 39: 594–616. .
- 2001. Dynamics of water storage in mature subalpine Picea abies: temporal and spatial patterns of change in stem radius. Tree Physiology 21: 561–569. , .