Fine-scale distribution of pine ectomycorrhizas and their extramatrical mycelium
Article first published online: 16 FEB 2006
Volume 170, Issue 2, pages 381–390, April 2006
How to Cite
Genney, D. R., Anderson, I. C. and Alexander, I. J. (2006), Fine-scale distribution of pine ectomycorrhizas and their extramatrical mycelium. New Phytologist, 170: 381–390. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01669.x
- Issue published online: 16 FEB 2006
- Article first published online: 16 FEB 2006
- Received: 17 October 2005 Accepted: 15 December 2005
- 1991. Characterization of ectomycorrhiza. Methods in Microbiology 23: 25–73. .
- 2001. Exploration types of ectomycorrhizae: a proposal to classify ectomycorrhizal mycelial systems according to their patterns of differentiation and putative ecological importance. Mycorrhiza 11: 107–114. .
- 2004. Distance-related semi-quantitative estimation of the extramatrical ectomycorrhizal mycelia of Cortinarius obtusus and Tylospora asterophora. Mycological Progress 3: 57–64. , .
- 1995. The structure and function of the vegetative mycelium of ectomycorrhizal plants. V. The foraging behaviour of ectomycorrhizal mycelium and the translocation of nutrients from exploited organic matter. New Phytologist 130: 401–409. , .
- 1992. The growth of extramatrical mycelium of ectomycorrhizal fungi and the growth response of Pinus sylvestris. New Phytologist 120: 127–135. , , .
- 2002. Vertical niche differentiation of ectomycorrhizal hyphae in soil as shown by T-RFLP analysis. New Phytologist 156: 527–535. , , .
- 2004. Development, persistence and regeneration of foraging ectomycorrhizal mycelial systems in soil microcosms. Mycorrhiza 14: 37–45. , , .
- 2005. Inter- and intraspecific resolution of nrDNA TRFLP assessed by computer-simulated restriction analysis of a diverse collection of ectomycorrhizal fungi. Mycological Research. 109: 212–226. , .
- 1993. ITS primers with enhanced specificity for basidiomycetes – application to the identification of mycorrhizae and rusts. Molecular Ecology 2: 113–118. , .
- 1981. The soils of Culbin Forest, Morayshire: their evolution and morphology, with reference to their forestry potential. Applied Geography 1: 199–212. .
- 2000. Rapid method for coextraction of DNA and RNA from natural environments for analysis of ribosomal DNA- and rRNA-based microbial community composition. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 66: 5488–5491. , , , .
- 1999. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symposium Series 41: 95–98. .
- 2001. Microcosm-based analyses of Scots pine seedling growth, ectomycorrhizal fungal community structure and bacterial carbon utilization profiles in boreal forest humus and underlying illuvial mineral horizons. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 36: 73–84. , , .
- 2002. Extramatrical ectomycorrhizal mycelium contributes half the microbial biomass and produces, together with associated roots, half the dissolved organic carbon in a forest soil. New Phytologist 154: 791–795. , .
- 2002. Molecular approaches to ectomycorrhizal diversity studies: variation in ITS at a local scale. Plant and Soil 244: 2002. .
- 2001. The molecular revolution in ectomycorrhizal ecology: peeking into the black-box. Molecular Ecology 10: 1855–1871. , .
- 2003. Respiration activity of ectomycorrhizas from Cenococcum geophilum and Lactarius sp. in relation to soil water potential in five beech forests. Plant and Soil 255: 487–494. , , .
- 1997. Inter- and intraspecific variation in the ITS region of rDNA of ectomycorrhizal fungi in Fennoscandia as detected by endonuclease analysis. New Phytologist 136: 313–325. , , .
- 2005. Priority effects determine the outcome of ectomycorrhizal competition between two Rhizopogon species colonizing Pinus muricata seedlings. New Phytologist 166: 631–638. , .
- 2005a. Contrasting below-ground views of an ectomycorrhizal fungal community. New Phytologist 166: 251–262. , , .
- 2005b. Evidence of species interactions within an ectomycorrhizal fungal community. New Phytologist 165: 305–316. , , , , .
- 2005. UNITE: a database providing web-based methods for the molecular identification of ectomycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 166: 1063–1068. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of resource availability on mycelial interactions and 32P transfer between saprotrophic and an ectomycorrhizal fungus in soil microcosms. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 38: 43–52. , , .
- 1979. Nutrient cycles in pine and their adaptation to poor soils. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 9: 19–26. , , , .
- 1977. Ecology of higher fungi in Tsuga diversifolia and Betula ermani_Abie mariesii forests of the sub-alpine zone. Transactions of the Mycological Society of Japan 18: 1–19. .
- 2003. Mycorrhizas and nutrient cycling in ecosystems – a journey from precision towards relevance. New Phytologist 157: 475–492. , .
- 2003. Vertical distribution of ectomycorrhizal fungal taxa in a podzol soil profile. New Phytologist 159: 775–783. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Fine scale distribution of ectomycorrhizal fungi and roots across substrate layers including coarse woody debris in a mixed forest. New Phytologist 159: 153–165. , , , .
- 2001. Estimation of the biomass and seasonal growth of external mycelium of ectomycorrhizal fungi in the field. New Phytologist 151: 753–760. , , , .
- 1990. Analysis of phylogenetic relationships by amplification and direct sequencing of ribosomal RNA genes. In: InnisMA, GelfandDN, SninskyJJ, WhiteTJ, eds. PCR protocols: a guide to methods and applications. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 315–322. , , , .
- 1999. Competition between ectomycorrhizal fungi in colonizing Pinus densiflora. Mycorrhiza 9: 151159. , , .