The effect of different pine hosts on the sampling of Rhizopogon spore banks in five Eastern Sierra Nevada forests
Article first published online: 29 MAR 2006
Volume 170, Issue 3, pages 551–560, May 2006
How to Cite
Rusca, T. A., Kennedy, P. G. and Bruns, T. D. (2006), The effect of different pine hosts on the sampling of Rhizopogon spore banks in five Eastern Sierra Nevada forests. New Phytologist, 170: 551–560. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01689.x
- Issue published online: 29 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 29 MAR 2006
- Received: 11 November 2005 Accepted: 11 January 2006
- 1987–2002. Colour atlas of Ectomycorrhizae. Schwäbisch-Gmünd, Germany: Einhorn-Verlag.
- 1999. Mycorrhizal recolonization of Pinus muricata from resistant propagules after a stand-replacing wildfire. New Phytologist 143: 409–418. , , , .
- 1990. Terrestrial vegetation of California, new expanded edition. Davis, CA, USA: California Native Plant Society. , .
- 2002. Fine-level mycorrhizal specificity in the Monotropoideae (Ericaceae): specificity for fungal species groups. Molecular Ecology 11: 557–570. , .
- 2001. Low ectomycorrhizal inoculum potential and diversity from soils in and near ancient forests of bristlecone pine (Pinus longaeva). Canadian Journal of Botany 79: 293–299. , , .
- 1983. The structure and function of mycelial systems of ectomycorrhizal roots with special reference to their role in forming inter-plant connections and providing pathways for assimilate and water transport. Plant Soil 71: 433–444. , , , .
- 1993. The ability of 16 ectomycorrhizal fungi to increase growth and phosphorus uptake of Eucalyptus globulus Labill and E. diversicolor F-Muell Plant and Soil 153: 155–164. , , .
- 2005. EstimateS: statistical estimation of species richness and shared species from samples, version 7.5. http://viceroy.eeb.uconn.edu .
- 1993. ITS primers with enhanced specificity for basidiomycetes – application to the identification of mycorrhizae and rusts. Molecular Ecology 2: 113–118. , .
- 2002. Biology of the ectomycorrhizal genus Rhizopogon. VI. Re-examination of infrageneric relationships inferred from phylogenetic analyses of ITS sequences. Mycologia 94: 607–619. , , , .
- 1968. Some new species and distribution records of Rhizopogon in North America. Canadian Journal of Botany 46: 881–899. , .
- 1998. Ectomycorrhizal, vesicular-arbuscular and dark septate fungal colonization of bishop pine (Pinus muricata) seedlings in the first 5 months of growth after wildfire. Mycorrhiza 8: 11–18. , , .
- 2005. Hypogeous ectomycorrhizal fungal species on roots and in small mammal diet in a mixed-conifer forest. Forest Science 51: 243–254. , , , , .
- 2006. Spatial structure and richness of the ectomycorrhizal resistant propagule community colonizing hosts with differing seedling establishment patterns. Mycologia. (In press.) , , .
- 2005. Priority effects determine the outcome of ectomycorrhizal competition between two Rhizopogon species colonizing Pinus muricata seedlings. New Phytologist 166: 631–638. , .
- 2003. Rhizopogon spore bank communities: within and among Californian pine forests. Mycologia 95: 603–613. , .
- 1999. Ecological methodology, 2nd edn. Menlo Park, CA, USA: Addison-Wesley Longman. .
- 1996. Internal transcribed spacer sequences from 38 recognized species of Suillus sensu lato: phylogenetic and taxonomic implications. Mycologia 88: 776–785. , , , .
- 2003. Taxonomy of the Rhizopogon vinicolor species complex based on analysis of ITS sequences and microsatellite loci. Mycologia 95: 480–487. , , , .
- 2002. Multiple sequence alignment using partial order graphs. Bioinformatics 18: 452–464. , , .
- 1994. Biology of the ectomycorrhizal genus, Rhizopogon II. Patterns of host-fungus specificity following spore inoculation of diverse hosts grown in monoculture and dual culture. New Phytologist 126: 677–690. , , , .
- 1999. Diversity and host specificity of ectomycorrhizal fungi retrieved from three adjacent forest sites by five host species. Canadian Journal of Botany 77: 1053–1076. , , , , .
- 1982. Patterns of ectomycorrhizal host specificity and potential among Pacific Northwest conifers and fungi. Forest Science 28: 423–458. , .
- 1994. Biology of the ectomycorrhizal genus, Rhizopogon. I. Host associations, host-specificity and pure culture syntheses. New Phytologist 126: 653–675. , .
- 1999. Rhizopogon. In: CairneyJWG, ChambersSM, eds. Ectomycorrhizal fungi key genera in profile. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 129–161 , , , .
- 1964. A contribution toward a monograph of the genus Suillus. Ann Arbor, MI, USA. (privately printed). , .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal symbiosis, 2nd edn. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2002. PAUP* Phylogenetic analysis using parsimony (*and other methods). Version 4.0d81. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA, USA. .
- 1999. Community structure of ectomycorrhizal fungi in a Pinus muricata forest: minimal overlap between the mature forest and resistant propagule communities. Molecular Ecology 8: 1837–1850. , .