Quantifying species composition in root mixtures using two methods: near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy and plant wax markers
Article first published online: 27 MAR 2006
Volume 170, Issue 3, pages 631–638, May 2006
How to Cite
Roumet, C., Picon-Cochard, C., Dawson, L. A., Joffre, R., Mayes, R., Blanchard, A. and Brewer, M. J. (2006), Quantifying species composition in root mixtures using two methods: near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy and plant wax markers. New Phytologist, 170: 631–638. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01698.x
- Issue published online: 29 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 27 MAR 2006
- Received: 21 December 2005 Accepted: 19 January 2006
- 1987. Determination of forage quality by near infrared reflectance spectroscopy: efficacy of broad-based calibration equations. Journal of Dairy Science 70: 806–813. , , ,
- 2005. The possible use of n-alkanes, long-chain fatty alcohols and long-chain fatty acids as markers in studies of the botanical composition of the diet of free-ranging herbivores. Journal of Agricultural Science 143: 85–95. , , , , .
- 2004. The potential of long-chain fatty alcohols and long-chain fatty acids as diet composition markers: development of methods for quantitative analysis and faecal recoveries of these compounds in sheep fed mixed diets. Journal of Agricultural Science 142: 71–78. , , , , , .
- 2005. A hierarchical model for compositional data analysis. Journal of Agricultural Biology and Environmental Statistics 10: 19–34. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Plant wax alkanes and alcohols as herbivore diet composition markers. Journal of Range Management 57: 259–268. , , , , .
- 1987. Rapid shifts in phosphate acquisition show direct competition between neighbouring plants. Nature 327: 615–616. , , , .
- 1994. Manual recording of minirhizotron data and its application to study the effect of herbicide and nitrogen fertiliser on tree and pasture root growth in a silvopastoral system. Agroforestry Systems 26: 75–87. , , , , , .
- 1985. The use of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy to predict species composition of forage mixtures. Crop Science 25: 834–837. , , .
- 1990. Prediction of botanical composition using NIRS calibrations developed from botanically pure samples. Crop Science 30: 202–207. , , .
- 2001. Depth distribution of cherry (Prunus avium L.) tree roots as influenced by grass root competition. Plant and Soil 231: 11–19. , , , .
- 2000. Root hydrocarbons as potential markers for determining species composition. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 743–750. , , , .
- 1992. Using the normal alkanes of plant cuticular wax to estimate the species composition of herbage mixtures. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 43: 1711–1724. .
- 2005. The potential for using the alkanes and long-chain alcohols of plant cuticular wax to distinguish the contribution of different plant species to a mixed root mass. In: O'MaraFP, WilkinsRJ, MannetjeL't, LovettDK, RogersPAM, BolandTM, eds. The XX International Grassland Congress: offered papers. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Academic Publishers, 646–647. , .
- 1991. The use of plant wax alkanes as marker substances in studies of the nutrition of herbivores: a review. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 42: 913–957. , .
- 1996. Plant wax components: a new approach to estimating intake and diet composition in herbivores. Journal of Nutrition 126: 13–26. , .
- 1996. Effects of species, plant part, and plant age on the n-alkane concentrations in the cuticular wax of pasture plants. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 47: 1333–1347. , , .
- 1998. Ecological applications of near infrared reflectance spectroscopy – a tool for rapid, cost-effective prediction of the composition of plant and animal tissues and aspects of animal performance. Oecologia 116: 293–305. , , , , , .
- 2004. Plant functional markers capture ecosystem properties during secondary succession. Ecology 85: 2630–2637. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Using near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy to predict carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus content in heterogeneous plant material. Oecologia 11: 173–182. , , .
- 2004. Intramolecular, compound-specific, and bulk carbon isotope patterns in C-3 and C-4 plants: a review and synthesis. New Phytologist 161: 271–385. , .
- 1999. Ecosystem rooting depth determined with caves and DNA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 11387–11392. , , , , .
- 1982. Partial least squares regression: a new two-stage NIR calibration method. In: HolasJ, KratchovilR, eds. Proceedings of the 7th World Cereal Bread Congress, Prague. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier, 607–647. , .
- 1989. Multivariate calibration. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons. , .
- 1986. The use of dosed and herbage n-alkanes as markers for the determination of herbage intake. Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge 107: 161–170. , , .
- 1991. Botanical composition of tropical grass-legume pastures estimated with near infrared reflectance spectroscopy. Agronomy Journal 83: 103–107. , , , .
- 1988. Determination of root mass ratios in alfalfa-grass mixtures using near infrared reflectance spectroscopy. Journal of Range Management 41: 488–490. , , .
- 1999. A review of belowground interactions in agroforestry, focussing on mechanisms and management options. Agroforestry Systems 43: 5–34. .
- 1991. ISI NIRS-2 software for near-infrared instruments. Silverspring, MD, USA: Infrasoft International. , .
- 1993. Near infrared reflectance analysis with single- and multiproduct calibrations. Crop Science 33: 582–584. , .
- 1986. Root and shoot competition between established ryegrass and invading grass seedlings. Journal of Applied Ecology 23: 667–674. , .
- 2005. A trade-off between nitrogen uptake and use increases responsiveness to elevated CO2 in infrequently cut mixed C3 grasses. New Phytologist 166: 217–230. , , , .