How does the meristem of sunflower capitulum cope with tissue expansion and floret initiation? A quantitative analysis
Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2006
Volume 170, Issue 4, pages 711–722, June 2006
How to Cite
Dosio, G. A. A., Tardieu, F. and Turc, O. (2006), How does the meristem of sunflower capitulum cope with tissue expansion and floret initiation? A quantitative analysis. New Phytologist, 170: 711–722. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01702.x
- Issue online: 29 MAR 2006
- Version of Record online: 29 MAR 2006
- Received: 7 November 2005 Accepted: 22 January 2006
- 1967. Heteroblastic development in vascular plants. Advances in Morphogenesis 6: 127–171. .
- 2004. Local, efflux-dependent auxin gradients as a common module for plant organ formation. Cell 115: 591–602. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Seed number in sunflower as affected by light stress during the floret differentiation interval. Field Crops Research 74: 173–181. , .
- 1997. Number of seeds per unit area in sunflower correlates well with a photothermal quotient. Crop Science 37: 1780–1786. , , .
- 2001. Grain number responses to temperature during floret differentiation in sunflower. Field Crops Research 72: 177–184. , .
- 2001. Unlocking the mysteries of leaf primordia formation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 10981–10982. .
- 1992. Physiology of yield expression in sunflower. Field Crops Research 30: 333–389. , .
- 2000. New evidence for the role of mechanical forces in the shoot apical meristem. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 19: 7–18. , .
- 1998. Seed Biology and the Yield of Grain Crops. Wallingford, UK: CAB International. .
- 2005. The control of leaf development. New Phytologist 166: 9–20. .
- 1997. Induction of leaf primordia by the cell wall protein expansin. Science 276: 1415–1418. , , , .
- 1998. Is thermal time adequate for expressing the effects of temperature on sunflower leaf development? Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 695–703. , .
- 1986. Plasticity in shoot development: a biophysical review. Symposia of the Society for Experimental Biology 40: 211–232. .
- 1994. Connecting gene and hormone action to form, pattern and organogenesis: biophysical transductions. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 1775–1788. .
- 1997. Expansin and morphology: a role for biophysics. Trends in Plant Science 2: 365–366. .
- 1996. Phyllotactic patterns: a biophysical mechanism for their origin. Annals of Botany 77: 515–527. , , .
- 1995. Pattern formation in the sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) capitulum. Biophysical considerations. Biocell 19: 203–212. .
- 1993. Transductions for the expression of structural pattern: analysis in sunflower. Plant Cell 5: 1725–1738. , .
- 1999. Genetic improvement of sunflower in Argentina between 1930 and 1995. I. Yield and its components. Field Crops Research 62: 157–166. , , .
- 1990. Plant Development. The Cellular Basis. London, UK: Unwin-Hyman. .
- 1981. Photoperiodic sensitivity of inflorescence initiation and development in the sunflower. Field Crops Research 4: 155–164. , .
- 1976. Bud development in Sitka spruce. I. Annual growth cycle of vegetative buds and shoots. Canadian Journal of Botany 54: 313–325. , .
- 1985. The generative area as the site of floret initiation in the sunflower capitulum and its integration to predict floret number. Field Crops Research 11: 1–12. , .
- 2001. Local expression of expansin induces the entire process of leaf development and modifies leaf shape. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 11812–11817. , , , , .
- 2000. Auxin regulates the initiation and radial position of plant lateral organs. Plant Cell 12: 507–518. , , .
- 2003. Regulation of phyllotaxis by polar auxin transport. Nature 426: 255–260. , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Biophysical mechanisms for morphogenetic progressions at the shoot apex. Developmental Biology 153: 29–43. , , .
- 1984. Nitrogen nutrition of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.): Acquisition and partitioning of dry matter and nitrogen by vegetative organs and their relationship to seed yield. Field Crops Research 9: 237–251. , , , .
- 1993. A model to simulate the development, growth and yield of irrigated sunflower. Field Crops Research 9: 237–251. , , .
- 1998. Leaf initiation: new developments in an expanding field. Plant Cell 10: 1407–1412. .
- 1996. OILCROP-SUN: a development, growth and yield model of the sunflower crop. Agronomy Journal 88: 403–415. , , , .