Long-term change in the sensitivity of tree-ring growth to climate forcing in Larix decidua
Article first published online: 29 MAR 2006
Volume 170, Issue 4, pages 861–872, June 2006
How to Cite
Carrer, M. and Urbinati, C. (2006), Long-term change in the sensitivity of tree-ring growth to climate forcing in Larix decidua. New Phytologist, 170: 861–872. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01703.x
- Issue published online: 29 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 29 MAR 2006
- Received: 17 October 2005 Accepted: 29 January 2006
- ALP-IMP. 2004. Multi-centennial climate variability in the Alps based on instrumental data, model simulation and proxy data. http://www.zamg.ac.at/alp-imp/main.htm (accessed 16 October 2005).
- 2005. A new instrumental precipitation dataset for the greater alpine region for the period 1800–2002. International Journal of Climatology 25: 139–166. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Reduced growth of Alaskan white spruce in the twentieth century from temperature-induced drought stress. Nature 405: 668–673. , , .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate – a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Methodology 57: 289–300. , .
- 1999. Dry matter allocation in treeline trees. Phyton Annales Rei Botanicae 39: 7–11. , .
- 1997. Evolutionary and moving response functions in dendroclimatology. Dendrochronologia 15: 139–150. .
- 2000. Are climate–tree growth relationships changing in North-Central Idaho, USA? Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research 32: 111–116. .
- 2004. DENDROCLIM2002: a C++ program for statistical calibration of climate signals in tree-ring chronologies. Computers and Geosciences 30: 303–311. , .
- 2001. Regional temperature variability in the European Alps: 1760–1998 from homogenized instrumental time series. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1779–1801. , , , , , .
- 1976. Time series analysis: forecasting and control. San Francisco, CA, USA: Holden Day. , .
- 1999. Paleoclimatology: reconstructing climates of the Quaternary Harcourt. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. .
- 1990. Methods of response function analysis. In: CookER, KairiukstisLA, eds. Methods of dendrochronology; applications in the environmental sciences. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 240–247. , .
- 2004. Large-scale temperature inferences from tree rings: a review. Global and Planetary Change 40: 11–26. , , .
- 1998a. Trees tell of past climates: But are they speaking less clearly today? Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B, Biology Sciences 353: 65–73. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998b. Reduced sensitivity of recent tree-growth to temperature at high northern latitudes. Nature 391: 678–682. , , , , , .
- Britannica Concise Encyclopædia. 2005. ‘Uniformitarianism’. In: Encyclopædia Britannica, Premium Service. http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9381521 (accessed 6 October 2005).
- 2001. Assessing climate–growth relationships: a comparative study between linear and non-linear methods. Dendrochronologia 19: 57–65. , .
- 2004. Age-dependent tree-ring growth responses to climate in Larix decidua and Pinus cembra. Ecology 85: 730–740. , .
- 1985. A time series approach to tree-ring standardization. PhD thesis, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA. .
- 1990. Tree-ring standardization and growth-trend estimation. In: CookER, KairiukstisLA, eds. Methods of dendrochronology; applications in the environmental sciences. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 104–123. , , , .
- 1997. ARSTAN: chronology development. In: Grissino MayerHD, ed. The International Tree-Ring Data Bank Program Library, version 21, user's manual. Tucson, AZ, USA: University of Arizona Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, 75–92. , .
- 1981. The smoothing spline: a new approach to standardizing forest interior tree-ring width series for dendroclimatic studies. Tree Ring Bulletin 41: 45–53. , .
- 1993. Tree growth–climate relationships at the northern boreal forest tree line of North America: evaluation of potential response to increasing carbon dioxide. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 7: 525–535. , .
- 1995. Extreme climate and variation in tree growth: individualistic response in subalpine fir (Abies lasiocarpa). Global Change Biology 1: 231–241. , .
- 1998. Long-term ci/ca response of trees in western North America to atmospheric CO2 concentration derived from carbon isotope chronologies. Oecologia 117: 19–25. .
- 1976. Tree ring and climate. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 2002. Impacts of climate change on the tree line. Annals of Botany 90: 537–544. , , .
- 1991. Subalpine tree growth, climate, and increasing CO2: an assessment of recent growth trends. Ecology 72: 1–11. .
- 1993. Detecting the aerial fertilization effect of atmospheric CO ‘SUB 2’ enrichment in tree-ring chronologies. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 7: 81–95. , .
- 1991. The bootstrapped response function. Tree Ring Bulletin 51: 39–41. .
- 2003. The carbon charging of pines at the climatic treeline: a global comparison. Oecologia 135: 10–21. , .
- 1983. Computer-assisted quality control in tree-ring dating and measurement. Tree Ring Bulletin 43: 69–78. .
- 2002. Dendrochronology in climatology – the state of the art. Dendrochronologia 20: 95–116. .
- 1994. Plant responses to atmospheric CO2 enrichment in the face of environmental constraints: a review of the past 10 years’ research. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 69: 153–203. , .
- IPCC. 2001. Climate change 2001: the scientific basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK and New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- 1994. Hemispheric surface air temperature variations: a reanalysis and an update to 1993. Journal of Climate 7: 1794–1802. .
- 2003. Hemispheric and large-scale surface air temperature variations: An extensive revision and an update to 2001. Journal of Climate 16: 206–223. , .
- 1996. Increased activity of northern vegetation inferred from atmospheric CO2 measurements. Nature 382: 146–149. , , .
- 1988. Tree-ring analysis and conifer growth responses to increased atmospheric CO2 levels. Oecologia 76: 487–495. , .
- 2001. Detecting potential regional effects of increased atmospheric CO2 on growth rates of western juniper. Global Change Biology 7: 903–917. , , .
- 2003. Carbon limitation in trees. Journal of Ecology 91: 4–17. .
- 1984. Increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide: tree ring evidence for growth enhancement in natural vegetation. Science 225: 1019–1021. , , .
- 2002. Spatial and temporal variability in the growth and climate response of treeline trees in Alaska. Climatic Change 52: 481–509. , .
- 1999. Nitrogen deposition makes a minor contribution to carbon sequestration in temperate forests. Nature 398: 145–148. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Increase in tree-ring width in subalpine Pinus cembra from the central Alps that may be CO2-related. Trees: Structure and Function 9: 181–189. , , .
- 1996. Climatic signal in earlywood and latewood of deciduous oaks from northern Italy. In: DeanJS, MekoDM, SwetnamTW, eds. Tree rings, environment and humanity. Proceedings of the International Conference, Tucson, Arizona, 17–21 May 1994. Tucson, AZ, USA: Radiocarbon, 249–258. .
- 2002. Growth responses of subalpine fir to climatic variability in the Pacific Northwest. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32: 1503–1517. , , .
- 1985. Collecting, preparing, cross-dating and measuring tree increment cores. US Geological Survey Water Resource Investigations Report 85–4148. .
- 2001. Tree and forest functioning in response to global warming. New Phytologist 149: 369–399. , , , , .
- 1999. Temporal stability and dendroclimatology in silver fir and red spruce. Phyton Annales Rei Botanicae 39: 117–122. , , .
- 2002. Shifts in radial growth responses of coastal Picea abies induced by climatic change during the 20th century, central Norway. Ecoscience 9: 79–88. , , .
- 1996. Growth trends in European forests. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , , (eds) .
- 1968. Introduction to tree-ring dating. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. , .
- 2000. Comparative stem-growth rates of Mediterranean trees under background and naturally enhanced ambient CO2 concentrations. New Phytologist 146: 59–74. , , .
- 1999. Influence of snowfall and melt timing on tree growth in subarctic Eurasia. Nature 400: 149–151. , , , , .
- 2004. Recent climate warming forces contrasting growth responses of white spruce at treeline in Alaska through temperature thresholds. Global Change Biology 10: 1724–1736. , , , .
- 2004. Temporal instability in tree-growth/climate response in the Lower Bavarian Forest region: implications for dendroclimatic reconstruction. Trees: Structure and Function 18: 19–28. , .
- 2002. Potential impacts of global elevated CO2 concentrations on plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 207–211. .