Performance of seedlings of Mediterranean woody species under experimental gradients of irradiance and water availability: trade-offs and evidence for niche differentiation
Version of Record online: 3 APR 2006
Volume 170, Issue 4, pages 795–806, June 2006
How to Cite
Sánchez-Gómez, D., Valladares, F. and Zavala, M. A. (2006), Performance of seedlings of Mediterranean woody species under experimental gradients of irradiance and water availability: trade-offs and evidence for niche differentiation. New Phytologist, 170: 795–806. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01711.x
- Issue online: 3 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 3 APR 2006
- Received: 6 December 2005 Accepted: 2 February 2006
- 1999. Responses of tropical forest tree seedlings to irradiance and the derivation of a light response index. Journal of Ecology 87: 815–827. , , .
- 2005. Performance trade-offs among tropical tree seedlings in contrasting microhabitats. Ecology 86: 2461–2472. , , .
- 1979. Physiological ecology of plant succession. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 10: 351–371. .
- 2003. Light responses of shade-tolerant tropical tree species in north-east Queensland: a comparison of forest- and shadehouse-grown seedlings. Journal of Tropical Ecology 19: 163–170. .
- 2003. Growth and mortality in high and low light: trends among 15 shade-tolerant tropical rain forest tree species. Journal of Ecology 91: 77–85. , .
- 1977. Comparative photosynthesis of sun and shade plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 28: 355–377. .
- 1999. Seed size and seedling emergence: an allometric relationship and some ecological implications. Oecologia 120: 132–136. , , .
- 1998. Seed germination and seedling performance of two Mediterranean tree species, holm oak (Quercus ilex) and Aleppo pine (Pinus halepensis): a multifactor experimental approach. Plant Ecology 1: 17–26. , , .
- 1995. Positive interactions among plants. Botanical Review 61: 306–349. .
- 1996. Biomass allocation and multiple resource limitation in tree seedlings. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 26: 1521–1530. , , , , , .
- 1990. Light regimes beneath closed canopies and tree-fall gaps in temperate and tropical forests. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 20: 620–631. , , , , , .
- 2001. Interspecific variation in sapling mortality in relation to growth and soil moisture. Oikos 92: 160–168. , .
- 2004. Seedling establishment of a boreal tree species (Pinus sylvestris) at its southernmost distribution limit: consequences of being in a marginal, Mediterranean habitat. Journal of Ecology 92: 266–277. , , , .
- 2003. Trade-offs between phenology, relative growth rate, life form and seed mass among 22 Mediterranean woody species. Plant Ecology 166: 117–129. , .
- 1993. Semillas de árboles y arbustos forestales. Madrid, Spain: ICONA. .
- 1992. Photosynthetic plasticity of two rain forest shrubs across natural gap transects. Oecologia 92: 586–595. .
- 1992. Life history diversity of canopy and emergent trees in a neotropical rain forest. Ecological Monographs 62: 315–344. , .
- 2003. Colonization, tolerance, competition and seed-size variation within functional groups. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18: 283–291. , .
- 1995. Use and accuracy of the filter-paper technique for measurement of soil matric potential. European Journal of Soil Science 46: 233–238. , , , , , .
- 2004. The plant traits that drive ecosystems: evidence from three continents. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 295–304. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Patterns of seedling recruitment in west Mediterranean coppiced holm-oak (Quercus ilex L.) forests as influenced by canopy development. Journal of Vegetation Science 6: 465–472. , , .
- 2003. Are nurse–protégé interactions more common among plants from arid environments? Journal of Vegetation Science 14: 911–916. , .
- 2002. Forest dynamics and disturbance regimes: studies from temperate evergreen-deciduous forests. New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2004. Differences between structural and functional heterogeneity caused by seed dispersal. Functional Ecology 18: 787–792. , , .
- 2004. Applying plant facilitation to forest restoration: a meta-analysis of the use of shrubs as nurse plants. Ecological Applications 14: 1128–1138. , , , , , .
- 1972. Population dynamics of tree seedlings and saplings in a mature eastern hardwood forest. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club 1972: 172–178. , .
- 1997. Canopy structure, vertical radiation profile and photosynthetic function in a Quercus ilex evergreen forest. Photosynthetica 33: 139–149. .
- 1977. The maintenance of species-richness in plant communities: the importance of the regeneration niche. Biology Reviews 52: 107–145. .
- 1996. Interaction of irradiance and soil nutrient supply on growth of seedling of ten European tall-shrub species and Fagus sylvatica. Journal of Ecology 84: 827–840. , , , .
- 2003. Differing effects of shade-induced facilitation on growth and survival during the establishment of a chenopod shrub. Journal of Ecology 91: 941–950. , .
- 1998. Seed size and shade-tolerance: a comparative analysis of North American temperate trees. Oecologia 114: 432–440. .
- 2000. Combined effects of shade and drought on tulip poplar seedlings: trade-off in tolerance or facilitation? Oikos 90: 67–78. .
- 2002. A modern tool for classical plant growth analysis. Annals of Botany 90: 485–488. , , , .
- Instituto Nacional de Meteorología. 2002. Calendario meteorológico 2002. Madrid, Spain: Ministerio de Medio Ambiente.
- 1992. Seedling growth in relation to seed size among species of arid Australia. Journal of Ecology 80: 407–416. , .
- 1994. Relative importance of photosynthetic traits and allocation patterns as correlates of seedling shade tolerance of 13 tropical trees. Oecologia 98: 419–428. .
- 2002. Do shade-tolerant tropical tree seedlings depend longer on seed reserves? Functional growth analysis of three Bignoniaceae species. Functional Ecology 16: 433–444. .
- 2003. Testing performance rank reversals among coexisting species: crossover point irradiance analysis by Sack & Grubb (2001) and alternatives. Functional Ecology 17: 276–281. , .
- 1999. Light gradient partitioning among tropical tree species through differential seedling mortality and growth. Ecology 80: 187–201. .
- 1997. Models of sapling mortality as a function of growth to characterize interspecific variation in shade tolerance of eight tree species of northwestern British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 27: 227–236. , .
- 1995. Juvenile tree survivorship as a component of shade tolerance. Ecological Applications 5: 517–532. , , .
- 2005. Long-term increase in climatic dryness in the East-Mediterranean as evidence for the island of Samos. Regional Environmental Change 5: 27–36. , , .
- 1996. Stomatal and nonstomatal limitations of photosynthesis in relation to the drought and shade tolerance of tree species in open and understory environments. Trees – Structure and Function 11: 76–82. , , .
- 1994. The role of large seed size in shaded conditions: experimental evidence. Functional Ecology 8: 205–214. , .
- 2004. Experimental evidence of reduced diversity of seedlings due to climate modification in a Mediterranean-type community. Global Change Biology 10: 248–258. , , .
- 1970. Shade tolerance in tree seedlings. II. Growth analysis of tree seedlings raised under artificial shade. New Phytologist 69: 273–286. .
- 2003a. Positive, negative, and net effects in grass–shrub interactions in Mediterranean semiarid grasslands. Ecology 84: 3186–3197. , , .
- 2003b. Does Pinus halepensis facilitate the establishment of shrubs in Mediterranean semi-arid afforestations? Forest Ecology and Management 176: 147–160. , , , .
- 2004. Heterogeneidad ambiental y nicho de regeneración. In: Valladares, F, ed. Ecología del bosque Mediterráneo en un mundo cambiante. Madrid: Organismo Autónomo de Parques Nacionales, Ministerio de Medio Ambiente, 69–99. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Influence of seed size and seedling ecological attributes on shade-tolerance of rain-rorest tree species in Northern Queensland. Journal of Ecology 82: 149–163. , , , .
- 1996. Forest models defined by field measurements: estimation, error analysis, and dynamics. Ecological Monographs 66: 1–43. , , , , , .
- 1994. Limiting similarity in mechanistic and spatial models of plant competition in heterogeneous environments. American Naturalist 143: 222–257. , .
- 2005. Crown architecture in sun and shade environments: assessing function and tradeoffs with a 3-D simulation model. New Phytologist 166: 791–800. , , .
- 1993. Water as a determinant of the distribution of trees at the boundary of the Mediterranean zone. Journal of Ecology 81: 557–566. , .
- 2004. Interactive effects of drought and shade on three arid zone chenopod shrubs with contrasting distributions in relation to tree canopies. Functional Ecology 18: 67–76. , .
- 1990. The effects of shade on the gas exchange of seedlings of four tropical tree seedlings from Mexico. Functional Ecology 4: 667–677. , .
- 2003. The evolution of plant functional variation: traits, spectra and strategies. International Journal of Plant Sciences 164: S143–S164. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Effects of artificial shading and weed mowing in reforestation of Mediterranean abandoned cropland with contrasting Quercus species. Forest Ecology and Management 212: 302–314. , , , , .
- 2004. Responses of temperate woody seedlings to shade and drought: do trade-offs limit potential niche differentiation? Oikos 107: 107–127. .
- 2001. Why do species of woody seedlings change rank in relative growth rate between low and high irradiance? Functional Ecology 15: 145–154. , .
- 2002. The combined impacts of deep shade and drought on the growth and biomass allocation of shade-tolerant woody seedlings. Oecologia 131: 175–185. , .
- 2003. The functional morphology of juvenile plants tolerant of strong summer drought in shaded forest understories in southern Spain. Plant Ecology 168: 139–163. , , .
- 2000. Effects of seed size and emergence time on tree seedling establishment: importance of developmental constraints. Oecologia 123: 208–215. .
- 2002. Effects of burying depth and seed size on seedling establishment of Japanese chestnuts, Castanea crenata. Forest Ecology and Management 164: 149–156. , , , , .
- 2004. Plant coexistence and the niche. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19: 605–611. .
- 1989. A theory of the spatial and temporal dynamics of plant communities. Vegetatio 83: 49–69. , .
- 2001. Características Mediterráneas de la conversión fotosintética de la luz en biomasa: de órgano a organismo. In: ZamoraR, PugnaireFI, eds. Aspectos funcionales de los ecosistemas Mediterráneos. Granada, Spain: CSIC-AEET. .
- 2004. Global change and radiation in Mediterranean forest ecosystems: a meeting point for ecology and management. In: ArianoutsouM, PapanastasisV, eds. Ecology, conservation and sustainable managements of Mediterranean type ecosystems of the world. Rotterdam, the Netherlands: Millpress, 1–4. .
- 2005. Photoinhibition and drought in Mediterranean woody saplings: scaling effects and interactions in sun and shade phenotypes. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 483–494. , , , .
- 1999. Effects of light availability and sapling size on the growth and crown morphology of understory Douglas-fir and lodgepole pine. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 29: 222–231. , , .
- 1999. Biostatistical analysis. Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA: Prentice Hall. .
- 2000. Constraints and trade-offs in Mediterranean plant communities: the case of Holm oak-Aleppo pine forests. Botanical Review 66: 119–149. , , .
- 2004. Mechanisms maintaining biodiversity in Mediterranean pine-oak forests: insights from a spatial simulation model. Plant Ecology 171: 197–207. , .