Nutritional and osmotic roles of nitrate in a euhalophyte and a xerophyte in saline conditions
Article first published online: 17 MAY 2006
Volume 171, Issue 2, pages 357–366, July 2006
How to Cite
Song, J., Ding, X., Feng, G. and Zhang, F. (2006), Nutritional and osmotic roles of nitrate in a euhalophyte and a xerophyte in saline conditions. New Phytologist, 171: 357–366. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01748.x
- Issue published online: 17 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 17 MAY 2006
- Received: 1 February 2006 Accepted: 2 March 2006
- 2002. Effects of salinity and temperature on the germination and early seedling growth of Atriplex cordobensis Gandoger et Stuckert (Chenopodiaceae). Seed Science and Technology 30: 329–338. , , , .
- 1984. Early effects of salinity on nitrate assimilation in barley seedlings. Plant Physiology 76: 321–325. , , .
- 1992. Comparative kinetics and reciprocal inhibition of nitrate and nitrite uptake in roots of uninduced barley seedlings. Plant Physiology 99: 1124–1133. , , .
- 1983. The effect of chloride and sulphate salts on the nitrate content in lettuce plants (Lactuca sativa L.). Journal of Plant Nutrition 6: 611–628. , .
- 1997. Effect of salinity on the growth and nitrogen uptake by wheat seedlings. Journal of Plant Nutrition 20: 793–804. , , , .
- 1985. Nitrogen absorption and assimilation in NaCl-resistant and NaCl-susceptible millet genotypes (Pennisetum americanum). Canadian Journal of Botany 63: 517–520. , , .
- 1975. Rapid calorimetric determination of nitrate in plant tissues by nitration of salicylic acid. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 6: 71–80. , , , .
- 1997. Kinetics of nitrite uptake by Citrus seedlings and inhibitory effects of salinity. Plant Science 126: 105–112. , , , .
- 1996. Interactive effects of salinity, nitrogen and sulphur on the organic solutes in Spartina alterniflora leaf blades. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 369–375. , , , .
- 2003. Free amino acids and glycine betaine in leaf osmoregulation of spinach responding to increasing salt stress. New Phytologist 158: 455–463. , , , , .
- 2000. Sodium-dependent nitrate transport at the plasma membrane of leaf cells of the marine higher plant Zostera marina L. Plant Physiology 122: 879–885. , , , , .
- 1996. Salinity and nitrogen fertilization affecting the macronutrient content and yield of sweet pepper plants. Journal of Plant Nutrition 19: 353–359. , , , , , .
- 1994. Effects of NaCl on flows of N and mineral ions and NO3− reduction rate within whole plants of salt-sensitive bean and salt-tolerant cotton. Plant Physiology 105: 1409–1418. , , .
- 1980. Mechanisms of salt tolerance in nonhalophytes. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 31: 149–190. , .
- 1983. Interactions between growth, uptake of Cl and Na, and water relations of plants in saline environments. Plant, Cell & Environment 6: 575–589. , .
- 2000. Plant cellular and molecular responses to high salinity. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 51: 463–499. , , , .
- 2002. Germination and establishment of halophytes on brine-affected soils. Journal of Applied Ecology 39: 402–415. , .
- 1995. Physiological studies on salinity and nitrogen interaction in alfalfa. III. Nitrate reductase activity. Journal of Plant Nutrition 18: 2495–2500. , , .
- 1992. Salinity and nitrogen nutrition studies on peanut and cotton plants. Journal of Plant Nutrition 15: 591–604. , , , .
- 1986. [The primary study on the effect of soil factors on the distribution of Haloxylon ammodendron, Haloxylon persicum, and Reaumuria soongorica in the Mosuowan Area.] Arid Zone Research 1: 30–33 (in Chinese). .
- 1991. Associative N2-fixation in plants growing in saline sodic soils and its relative quantification based on 15N natural abundance. Plant and Soil 137: 67–74. , , , , .
- 1948. A modified ninhydrin reagent for the photometric determination of amino acids and related compounds. Journal of Biological Chemistry 176: 376–381. , .
- 1972. Solute accumulation in plant cells. V. An aspect of nutrition and development. Annals of Botany 36: 915–937. , .
- 2002. Comparative physiology of salt and water stress. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 239–250. .
- 2005. Genes and salt tolerance: bringing them together. New Phytologist 167: 645–663. .
- Berthomieu. 2001. sas1, an Arabidopsis mutant overaccumulating sodium in the shoot, shows deficiency in the control of the root radial transport of sodium. Plant Cell 13: 125–137. , , ,
- 1996. The uptake and flow of C, N and ions between roots and shoots in Ricinus communis L. Flow and metabolism of inorganic nitrogen and malate depending on nitrogen nutrition and salt treatment. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 377–385. , , , .
- 1999. The characterization of inhibition of net nitrate uptake by salt in salt-tolerant barley (Hordeum vulgare L. cv. California Mariout). Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1365–1372. , .
- 2003. Salt-dependent expression of a nitrate transporter and two amino acid transporter genes in Mesembryanthemum cryatallinum. Plant Molecular Biology 52: 569–578. , , .
- 2003. Effects of NaCl salinity on 15N-nitrate fluxes and specific root length in the halophyte Plantago maritima L. Plant and Soil 250: 201–213. , , , , .
- SAS Institute Inc. 1989. SAS/STAT user's guide. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc.
- 1994. [Determination of the total nitrogen in plant materials]. In: ShiRH, BaoSD, QinHY, AnZS, eds. Soil Agriculture Chemistry Analysis Method. Beijing, China: China Agriculture Press, 213–216. (in Chinese). .
- 1999. Salt tolerance in the halophyte Halosarcia pergranulata subsp. pergranulata. Annals of Botany 83: 207–213. , .
- 1990. Studies of the uptake of nitrate in barley. I. Kinetics of 13NO3− influx. Plant Physiology 93: 1426–1432. , , , .
- 2006. Osmotic adjustment traits of Suaeda physophora, Haloxylon ammodendron and Haloxylon persicum in field or controlled conditions. Plant Science 170: 113–119. , , , .
- 1986. Nitrate accumulation and growth of Aster tripolium L. with a continuous and intermittent nitrogen supply. Plant, Cell & Environment 9: 307–313. .
- 2004. Comparative genomics in salt tolerance between Arabidopsis and Arabidopsis-related halophyte salt cress using Arabidopsis microarray. Plant Physiology 135: 1697–1709. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Effects of sodium chloride on seed germination and growth of two Chinese desert shrubs, Haloxylon ammodendron and H. persicum (Chenopodiaceae). Australian Journal of Botany 48: 455–460. , , .
- 1955. A photometric method for the determination of proline. Journal of Biological Chemistry 215: 655–660. , .
- 2002. [The relationship between the contents of mineral elements in some Xinjiang halophytes and soil environments]. MSA thesis. Xinjiang Institute of Ecology and Geography, Chinese Academy of Science, Urumqi, China. (in Chinese). .
- 2003. Study on the salt and drought tolerance of Suaeda salsa and Kalanchoe claigremontiana under iso-osmotic salt and water stress. Plant Science 165: 837–844. , , , .