Abscisic acid and ethylene interact in wheat grains in response to soil drying during grain filling
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Volume 171, Issue 2, pages 293–303, July 2006
How to Cite
Yang, J., Zhang, J., Liu, K., Wang, Z. and Liu, L. (2006), Abscisic acid and ethylene interact in wheat grains in response to soil drying during grain filling. New Phytologist, 171: 293–303. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01753.x
- Issue published online: 9 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- Received: 14 January 2006 Accepted: 21 January 2006
- 1985. Invertase activity and abscisic acid in relation to carbohydrate status in developing soybean reproductive structures. Crop Science 25: 615–618. .
- 1984. Effect of water stress on grain growth and assimilate partitioning in two cultivars of wheat contrasting in their yield in a drought environment. Annals of Botany 53: 329–340. , .
- 1999. Effects of abscisic acid (ABA) on grain filling processes in wheat. Plant Growth Regulation 28: 187–197. , .
- 2001. The effect of water stress on the activities of key regulatory enzymes of the sucrose to starch pathway in wheat. Plant Growth Regulation 35: 81–91. , .
- 1994. Ethylene as promoter of wheat grain maturation and ear senescence. Plant Growth Regulation 15: 107–112. , , , .
- 1999. Drought stress syndrome in wheat is provoked ethylene evolution imbalance and reversed by rewatering, aminoethoxyvinylglycine, or sodium benzoate. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 18: 59–64. , , .
- 1983. Effect of abscisic acid on sorbitol uptake in growing apple fruits. Journal of Experimental Botany 34: 737–743. .
- 1988. Variations in endogenous cytokinin content during adventitious root formation in pea cuttings. Journal of Plant Physiology 132: 262–265. , , .
- 1995. The role of hormones in photosynthate partitioning and seed filling. In: DaviesPJ, ed. Plant hormones, physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 649–670. , .
- 1980. Endogenous cis, trans-abscisic acid and pea seed development: evidence for a role in seed growth from changes induced by temperature. Journal of Experimental Botany 31: 185–197. .
- 1996. Ethylene may be involved in abortion of the maize caryopsis. Physiologia Plantarum 98: 245–252. , .
- 1995. Introduction. In: DaviesPJ, ed. Plant hormones, physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1–12. .
- 2004. Introduction. In: DaviesPJ, ed. Plant hormones, biosynthesis, signal transduction, action! Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1–35. .
- 1991. Root signals and the regulation of growth and development of plants in drying soil. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 42: 55–76. , .
- 1979. Abscisic acid and the movement of photosynthetic assimilates towards developing wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) grains. Zeitschrift für Pflanzenphysiologie 92: 186–193. , .
- 1975. Seed and pod wall development in Pisum sativum L. in relation to exacted and applied hormones. Journal of Experimental Botany 26: 1–14. , .
- 2001. Genetic interactions between ABA, ethylene and sugar signaling pathways. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 387–391. , .
- 2000. Regulation of abscisic acid signaling by the ethylene response pathway in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 12: 1117–2000. , , , , , .
- 1977. Abscisic acid translocation and influence of water stress on grain abscisic acid content. Journal of Experimental Botany 28: 1342–1350. , .
- 1976. Water deficit and ethylene evolution by young cotton bolls. Plant Physiology 57: 403–405. .
- 1993. High temperature affects the activity of enzymes in the committed pathway of starch synthesis in developing wheat endosperm. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 20: 197–209. , .
- 1993. [Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay for endogenous plant hormones]. In: HeZ, ed. Guidance to experiment on chemical control in crop plants]. Beijing, China: Agricultural University Publishers, 60–68 (in Chinese). .
- 2003. Effect of temperature on expression of genes encoding enzymes for starch biosynthesis in developing wheat endosperm. Plant Science 164: 873–881. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Does an antagonistic relationship between ABA and ethylene mediate shoot growth when tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) plants encounter compacted soil? Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1217–1226. , , , .
- 2003. Activities of key enzymes for starch synthesis in relation to growth of superior and inferior grains on winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) spike. Plant Growth Regulation 41: 247–257. , , , .
- 2004. Abscisic acid and antioxidant defense in plant cells. Acta Botanica Sinica 46: 1–9. , .
- 1992. Current topics in drought physiology: Review. Journal of Agricultural Science 119: 291–296. , .
- 1993. The changes of endogenous abscisic acid in developing grains of two rice cultivars with different grain size. Japanese Journal of Crop Science 62: 456–461. , , .
- 1992. Rate of development of postanthesis water deficits and grain filling of spring wheat. Crop Science 32: 1238–1242. , , .
- 1988. Phytohormones levels in the florets of a single wheat spikelet during pre-anthesis development and relationships to grain set. Journal of Experimental Botany 39: 927–933. , , .
- 2004. Maintenance of shoot growth by endogenous ABA: genetic assessment of the involvement of ethylene suppression. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 237–245. , , .
- 1980. Possible role of abscisic acid in reducing seed set in water-stressed wheat plants. Nature 285: 655–657. .
- 1997. Ethylene and plant responses to stress. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 620–630. , .
- 1990. Abscisic acid inhibition of endosperm cell division in cultured maize kernels. Plant Physiology 94: 1330–1336. , , , .
- 1991. Water-stress-induced ethylene production in wheat. Plant Physiology 96: 406–410. , , .
- 1985. Effect of drought on metabolism and partitioning of carbon in two wheat varieties differing in drought-tolerance. Annals of Botany 55: 727–747. , , , .
- 1990. Timing of kernel development in water stressed maize: Water potentials and abscisic acid concentrations. Annals of Botany 66: 665–672. , .
- 1991. Influence of water deficit on maize endosperm development. Enzyme activities and RNA transcripts of starch and zein synthesis, abscisic acid, and cell division. Plant Physiology 97: 154–164. , , , , .
- 1994. Proline accumulation in maize (Zea mays L.) primary roots at low water potentials. I. Requirement for increased levels of abscisic acid. Plant Physiology 105: 981–987. , .
- 1959. A flexible growth function for empirical use. Journal of Experimental Botany 10: 290–300. .
- 2001. Impaired sucrose-induction mutants reveal the modulation of sugar-induced starch biosynthetic gene expression by abscisic acid signaling. Plant Journal 26: 421–433. , , , , , .
- 1990. The distribution of abscisic acid in Pisum sativum plants during seed development. Journal of Plant Physiology 136: 137–142. , .
- 1982. Sterility in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) induced by water deficit or high temperature: Possible mediation by abscisic acid. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 529–537. , .
- 1984. Abscisic acid and its relationship to seed filling in soybeans. Plant Physiology 76: 301–306. , , .
- 1991. Relationship of endogenous abscisic acid to sucrose level and seed growth rate of soybeans. Plant Physiology 96: 1308–1313. , , .
- 2002. Interaction with ethylene: changing views on the role of abscisic acid in root and shoot growth responses to water stress. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 211–222. .
- 2002. ABA, ethylene and the control of shoot and root growth under water stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 33–37. , .
- 2000. Endogenous ABA maintains shoot growth in tomato independently of effects on plant water balance: evidence for an interaction with ethylene. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1575–1584. , , , , .
- 2000. Abscisic acid accumulation maintains maize primary toot elongation at low water potentials by restricting ethylene production. Plant Physiology 122: 967–976. , , , , .
- 1991. An assessment of the role of ABA in plant development. In: DaviesWJ, JonesHG, eds. Abscisic acid: physiology and biochemistry. Oxford, UK: Bios Scientific Publishers, 169–188. , .
- 1980. Biochemistry and physiology of abscisic acid. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 31: 453–489. .
- 1987. An analysis of seed development in Pisum sativum. VI. Abscisic acid accumulation. Journal of Experimental Botany 38: 1921– 1932. , , , , .
- 1998. Reasons for poor grain filling in intersubspecific hybrid rice. Acta Agronomica Sinica 24: 782–787. , , , , , .
- 1996. Water status and ABA content of floral organs in drought-stressed wheat. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 23: 763–772. , , .
- 2002. ABA-based chemical signaling: the co-ordination of responses to stress in plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 195–210. , .
- 1988. Enzyme linked immunosorbent assay for endogenous plant hormones. Plant Physiology Communication (China) 5: 53–57. , , .
- 1995. Effect of soil drought on ethylene evolution, polyamine accumulation and cell membrane in flag leaf of winter wheat. Acta Physiologica Sinica 21: 295–301. , , , .
- 2006. Grain filling of cereals under soil drying. New Phytologist 169: 223–236. , .
- 2000. Remobilization of carbon reserves is improved by controlled soil-drying during grain filling of wheat. Crop Science 40: 1645–1655. , , , , .
- 2004a. Activities of key enzymes in sucrose-to-starch conversion in wheat grains subjected to water deficit during grain filling. Plant Physiology 135: 1621–1629. , , , , .
- 2004b. Involvement of abscisic acid and ethylene in the responses of rice grains to water stress during filling. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1055–1064. , , , , , .
- 2001. Hormonal changes in the grains of rice subjected to water stress during grain filling. Plant Physiology 127: 315–323. , , , , .
- 1991. Establishment of an indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for zeatin and zeatin riboside. Journal of Beijing Agricultural University (China) 17: 145–151. , , .
- 1998. An improved water-use efficiency for winter wheat grown under reduced irrigation. Field Crops Research 59: 91–98. , , , , , .
- 1988. Growth analysis in the process of grain filling in rice. Acta Agronomica Sinica 14: 182–192. , , .