Responses of the green algal foliose lichen Platismatia glauca to increased nitrogen supply
Article first published online: 17 MAY 2006
Volume 171, Issue 2, pages 343–356, July 2006
How to Cite
Palmqvist, K. and Dahlman, L. (2006), Responses of the green algal foliose lichen Platismatia glauca to increased nitrogen supply. New Phytologist, 171: 343–356. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01754.x
- Issue published online: 17 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 17 MAY 2006
- Received: 16 January 2006 Accepted: 16 March 2006
- 1994. Interactions of lichens with their mineral environment. Cryptogamic Botany 4: 135–142. , , , .
- 1991. Integrated responses of plants to stress. Bioscience 41: 29–36.
- 1987. Plant responses to multiple environmental factors. Bioscience 37: 49–57. AJ, , .
- 1991. Ecological significance of necromass production in mat-forming lichens. Lichenologist 23: 323–331. .
- 1996. The effect of oxygen depravation on inorganic nitrogen uptake in an Antarctic macrolichen. Lichenologist 28: 347–354. .
- 1998. Nutrient exchange in an Antarctic macrolichen during summer snowfall-snow melt events. New Phytologist 139: 697–707. .
- 1994. Does nitrogen supply limit the growth of lichens? Cryptogamic Botany 4: 143–155. , , .
- 2002. Growth, nitrogen uptake, and resource allocation in the two tripartite lichens Nephroma arcticum and Peltigera aphthosa during nitrogen stress. New Phytologist 153: 307–315. , , .
- 2003. Growth in two foliose tripartite lichens Nephroma arcticum and Peltigera aphthosa– empirical modeling of external versus internal factors. Functional Ecology 17: 821–831. , .
- 2003. Carbon and nitrogen distribution in the green algal lichens Hypogymnia physodes and Platismatia glauca in relation to nutrient supply. Planta 217: 41–48. , , , .
- 2004. Organic and inorganic nitrogen uptake in lichens. Planta 219: 459–467. , , , .
- 2001. Measuring ergosterol and chitin in lichens. In: KrannerI, BeckettR, VarmaA, eds. Protocols in lichenology – culturing, biochemistry, physiology and use in biomonitoring. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 348–362. , , , , .
- 1998. Chitin and ergosterol combined to measure total and living fungal biomass in ectomycorrhizas. New Phytologist 138: 143–149. , , .
- 1996. Broad-scale comparison of photosynthetic rates across phototrophic organisms. Oecologia 108: 197–206. , , , .
- 1989. Photosynthesis and nitrogen relationships in leaves of C-3 plants. Oecologia 78: 9–19. .
- 1994. Carbon metabolism in lichens. Symbiosis 17: 127–182. .
- 2006. Nitrogen utilization by Hylocomium splendens in a boreal forest fertilization experiment. Functional Ecology. (In press.) , , , .
- 2005. Communities adjust their temperature optima by shifting producer-to-consumer ratio, shown in lichens as models. I. Hypothesis. Microbial Ecology 49: 523–527. , .
- 2003. Growth in relation to microclimatic conditions and physiological characteristics of four Lobaria pulmonaria populations in two contrasting habitats. Ecography 27: 13–28. , , , .
- 2004. Nitrogen uptake in relation to excess supply and its effects on the lichens Evernia prunastri (L.) Ach and Xanthoria parietina (L.) Th. Fr. Planta 220: 794–803. , , , , .
- 2005. Responses of the lichen Xanthoria parietina (L.) Th. Fr. to varying thallus nitrogen concentrations. Lichenologist 37: 171–179. , , , .
- 2006. Effect of simulated reindeer-grazing on the re-growth capacity of mat-forming lichens. Basic and Applied Ecology 7: 109–121. , , , .
- 1997. Toward models of resource allocation by plants. In: BazzazFA, GraceJ, eds. Plant resource allocation. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 279–291. .
- 1975. Relative growth-rate: its range and adaptive significance in a local flora. Journal of Ecology 63: 393–422. , .
- 1991. Functional aspects of the lichen symbiosis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 42: 553–578. .
- 1982. Plant growth curves, the functional approach to plant growth analysis. London, UK: Edward Arnold. .
- 1997. Role of free amino acids in the nitrogen economy of arctic cryptogams. Ecoscience 4: 75–79. .
- 1998. Plant physiological ecology. Berlin, Germany: Springer. , .
- 1992. Mapping deposition of sulphur, nitrogen and base cations in the Nordic countries. IVL Report B 1055. Göteborg, Sweden: Swedish Environmental Research Institute. , , , , , .
- 2001. Seasonal changes in temperature and light drive acclimation of photosynthetic physiology and macromolecular content in Lobaria pulmonaria. Planta 214: 57–66. , , , .
- 1991. Role of an energized inner membrane in mitochondrial protein import. Journal of Biochemistry 266: 18051–18057. , , .
- 1999. Novel calibration with correction for drift and non-linear response for continuous flow isotope ratio mass spectrometry applied to the determination of delta N-15, total nitrogen, delta C-13 and total carbon in biological material. Analyst 124: 571–577. , .
- 2000. Carbon economy in lichens. New Phytologist 148: 11–36. .
- 1998. Photosynthetic capacity in relation to nitrogen content and its partitioning in lichens with different photobionts. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 361–372. , , , .
- 2002. CO2 exchange and thallus nitrogen across 75 contrasting lichen associations from different climate zones. Oecologia 133: 295–306. , , , , , .
- 2000. Light use efficiency of dry matter gain in five macro-lichens: relative impact of microclimate conditions and species-specific traits. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1–14. , .
- 2001. Characterizing photosynthesis and respiration in freshly isolated or cultured lichen photobionts. In: KrannerI, BeckettR, VarmaA, eds. Protocols in lichenology – culturing, biochemistry, physiology and use in biomonitoring. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 152–181. , .
- 2002. A GC-MS method for determination of amino acid uptake by plants. Physiologia Plantarum 113: 352–358. , .
- 2000. Ecophysiology of Antarctic versus temperate populations of a bipolar lichen: The key role of the photosynthetic partner. In: DavisonW, WilliamsCH, BroadyP, eds. Antarctic ecosystems: models for wider ecological understanding. Christchurch, New Zealand: Natural Sciences Publications. , , , .
- 1960a. Studies in the physiology of lichens. 1. The effects of starvation and of ammonia absorption upon the nitrogen content of Peltigera polydactyla. Annals of Botany 24: 52–62. .
- 1960b. Studies in the physiology of lichens. 2. Absorption and utilization of some simple organic nitrogen compounds by Peltigera polydactyla. Annals of Botany 24: 172–185. .
- 1994. Proteolytic activity amongst selected saprolegnia species. Mycological Research 98: 389–395. , , , .
- 1998. Intraspecific variation in photosynthetic responses of trebouxioid lichens with reference to the activity of a carbon concentrating mechanism. Oecologia 113: 360–369. , .
- 1995. Lichens as monitors of nitrogen deposition. Cryptogamic Botany 5: 264–269. .
- 1992. Seasonal pattterns of photosynthesis in alpine and subalpine populations of the lichen Nephroma arcticum. Oikos 65: 3–12. , , .
- 2005. Communities adjust their temperature optima by shifting producer-to-consumer ratio, shown in lichens as models. I. Experimental verification. Microbial Ecology 49: 528–535. , .
- 1999. Lichen respiration in relation to active time, temperature, nitrogen and ergosterol concentrations. Functional Ecology 13: 119–125. , , , .
- 2001. The effect of nitrogen on growth and key thallus components in the two tripartite lichens, Nephroma arcticum and Peltigera aphthosa. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 517–527. , , .
- 1997. Growth and vitality of epiphytic lichens. II. Modelling of carbon gain using field and laboratory data. Oecologia 109: 10–18. , , , .
- 1953. Growth, yield and nutrition in carpets of a forest moss (Hylocomium splendens). Meddelanden Från Statens Skogsforskningsinstitut (Stockholm) 43: 1–140. .
- 1992. Chlorophyll content and morphology as factors influencing the photosynthetic rate of Parmelia caperata. Lichenologist 24: 81–90. , .
- 1995. Gas exchange rates and chlorophyll content of epi- and endolithic lichens from the Trieste Karst (NE Italy). New Phytologist 130: 585–592. , .
- 1991. Effects of inorganic N availability on algal photosynthesis and carbon metabolism. Journal of Phycology 27: 14–20. .
- 1996. Re-mapping epiphytic lichen biodiversity in The Netherlands: effects of decreasing SO2 and increasing NH3. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 45: 55–71. , .