Mutualistic mycorrhiza in orchids: evidence from plant–fungus carbon and nitrogen transfers in the green-leaved terrestrial orchid Goodyera repens
Version of Record online: 24 MAY 2006
Volume 171, Issue 2, pages 405–416, July 2006
How to Cite
Cameron, D. D., Leake, J. R. and Read, D. J. (2006), Mutualistic mycorrhiza in orchids: evidence from plant–fungus carbon and nitrogen transfers in the green-leaved terrestrial orchid Goodyera repens. New Phytologist, 171: 405–416. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01767.x
- Issue online: 24 MAY 2006
- Version of Record online: 24 MAY 2006
- Received: 24 January 2006 Accepted: 27 March 2006
- 1988. Amino acids as nitrogen sources for ectomycorrhizal fungi: utilization of individual amino acids. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 91: 473–479. , .
- 1989. Carbon transfer associated with assimilation of organic nitrogen sources by silver birch (Betula pendula Roth.). Trees 3: 17–23. , .
- 1985. Carbon movement between host and mycorrhizal endophyte during the development of the orchid Goodyera repens Br. New Phytologist 101: 657–665. , .
- 1984. Phosphate uptake by Goodyera repens in relation to mycorrhizal infection. New Phytologist 97: 401–411. , , .
- 2000. Tansley review, 110 – Numerical and physical properties of orchid seeds and their biological implications. New Phytologist 145: 367–421. , .
- 1899. Sur la germination du Neottia Nidus-Avis. Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires Des Séances de l’Académie Des Sciences, Paris 128: 1253–1255. .
- 2004. Changing partners in the dark: isotopic and molecular evidence of ectomycorrhizal liaisons between forest orchids and trees. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biology Sciences 271: 1799–1806. , , , , .
- 2003. Orchid conservation: a global perspective. In: DixonKW, KellSP, BarrettRL, CribbPJ, eds. Orchid conservation. Kota Kinabala, Sabah: Natural History Publications (Borneo), 1–24. , , , .
- 2003. 15N and 13C natural abundance of autotrophic and mycoheterotrophic orchids provides insight into nitrogen and carbon gain from fungal association. New Phytologist 160: 209–223. , .
- 1974. Movement of 14C from host to fungus in orchid mycorrhiza. New Phytologist 73: 475–482. , .
- 2002. Transfer of recent photosynthate into mycorrhizal mycelium of an upland grassland: short-term respiratory losses and accumulation of 14C. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 34: 1521–1524. , , .
- 2005. Mixotrophy in orchids: insights from a comparative study of green individuals and non-photosynthetic individuals of Cephalanthera damasonium. New Phytologist 166: 639–653. , , , , , .
- 1994. The biology of myco-heterotrophic (saprophytic) plants. New Phytologist 127: 171–216. .
- 2004. Symbiotic germination and development of the myco-heterotroph Monotropa hypopitys in nature and its requirement for locally distributed Tricholoma spp. New Phytologist 163: 405–423. , , , .
- 1993. Nitrogen metabolism of ectomycorrhizal fungi and ectomycorrhiza. Advances in Plant Pathology 9: 83–102. , .
- 2001. Plant acquisition of organic nitrogen in boreal forests. Physiologia Plantarum 111: 419–426. , .
- 1966. Physiology and ecology of orchid mycorrhizal fungi with reference to seedling nutrition. New Phytologist 65: 488–499. .
- 1967. Carbohydrate translocation in orchid mycorrhizas. New Phytologist 66: 371–378. .
- 1997. Mycorrhizal symbiosis. London, UK: Academic Press. , .
- 2004. Uptake of nitrogen and carbon from double labelled [13C,15N]glycine by mycorrhizal pine seedlings. New Phytologist 164: 383–388. , , .
- 2003. Nitrogen and carbon stable isotope abundances support the myco-heterotrophic nature and host-specificity of certain achlorophyllous plants. New Phytologist 160: 391–401. , , .