Estimation of cytoplasmic nitrate and its electrochemical potential in barley roots using 13NO3− and compartmental analysis
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2006
Volume 171, Issue 3, pages 643–655, August 2006
How to Cite
Ritchie, R. J. (2006), Estimation of cytoplasmic nitrate and its electrochemical potential in barley roots using 13NO3− and compartmental analysis. New Phytologist, 171: 643–655. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01768.x
- Issue published online: 23 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2006
- Received: 15 January 2006 Accepted: 28 March 2006
- 1969. Multicompartmental models in biology systems. London: Methuen. .
- 1969. Nitrate reduction in higher plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 20: 495–522. , .
- 1985. A 15N nuclear magnetic resonance study of inorganic nitrogen metabolism in barley, maize and pea roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 36: 190–210. , , .
- 1961. Electrolytes and plant cells. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific. , , .
- 2003. The case for cytosolic NO3− heterostasis: a critique of a recently proposed model. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 183–188. , .
- 1967. The determination of nitrate in soil solutions by ultraviolet spectrometry. Analyst 92: 311–315. .
- 1986. Regulation of the absorption and release of nitrate by plant cells: a review of current ideas and methodology. In: LambersH, NeetsonJJ, StulenI, eds. Fundamental, ecological and agricultural aspects of nitrogen metabolism in higher plants. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Martinus-Nijhoff, 3–27. .
- 1985. Nitrogen-13 as a biochemical tracer. Advances in Enzymology 57: 251–356. , , .
- 1998. Molecular and physiological aspects of nitrate uptake in plants. Trends in Plant Science 3: 389–395. , .
- 1982. Mechanisms for nitrate uptake into barley (Hordeum vulgare cv. Fergus) seedlings grown at controlled nitrate concentrations in the nutrient medium. Plant Science Letters 24: 79–89. .
- 1984. Mechanism of nitrate uptake into Chara corallina cells: lack of evidence for obligatory coupling to proton pump and a new NO3−/NO3− exchange model. Plant, Cell & Environment 7: 317–323. .
- 1985a. Regulation of nitrate uptake into Chara corallina cells via NH4+ stimulation of NO3− efflux. Plant, Cell & Environment 8: 105–110. .
- 1985b. Characteristics of 36ClO3− and 36Cl− uptake into Pisum sativum L. seedlings: limitations and uses of 36ClO3− as an analogue for NO3−. Plant Science 42: 99–105. .
- 1982a. Nitrate uptake into barley (Hordeum vulgare) plants: a new approach using 36ClO3− as an analog for NO3−. Plant Physiology 70: 50–54. , .
- 1982b. Studies of nitrate influx into barley roots by the use of 36ClO3− as a tracer for nitrate. I. interactions with chloride and other ions. Canadian Journal of Botany 60: 2147–2153. , .
- 1983a. Short-term studies of nitrate uptake into barley plants using ion-specific electrodes and 36ClO3−. I. Control of net uptake by NO3−. Plant Physiology 73: 100–104. , .
- 1983b. Short-term studies of nitrate uptake into barley plants using ion-specific electrodes and 36ClO3−. II. Regulation of NO3− efflux by NH4+. Plant Physiology 73: 105–110. , .
- 1988. Nitrogen uptake by plant roots. ISI Atlas of Science 1: 151–156. .
- 1985. Regulation of NO3− influx in barley: studies using 13NO3−. Plant Physiology 77: 379–381. , , .
- 1990. Studies of the uptake of nitrate by barley. II. Energetics. Plant Physiology 93: 1585–1589. , , , .
- 1993. Studies of the uptake of nitrate in barley. IV. Electrophysiology. Plant Physiology 99: 456–463. , , .
- 2001. Nitrogen transport in plants, with an emphasis on the regulation of fluxes to match plant demand. Journal of Plant Nutrition 164: 199–207. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Methods for physical and chemical analysis of freshwaters, 2nd edn. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific. , , .
- 1977. Chlorate toxicity and nitrate reductase activity in tomato plants. Physiologia Plantarum 41: 65–69. .
- 1987. Nitrogen utilisation in Lemna. II. studies of nitrate uptake using 13NO3−. Plant Physiology 85: 860–864. , , , .
- 1992. Parameter estimation by least squares methods. Methods in Enzymology 210: 1–37. , .
- 1957. Comparative chlorine requirements of different plant species. Plant and Soil 8: 337–353. , , , .
- KEGG. 2006. Kyoto encyclopedia of genes and genomes. http://www.genome.ad.jp/kegg/kegg2.html .
- 1992. Studies of the uptake of nitrate in barley. V. Estimation of root cytoplasmic nitrate concentration using nitrate reductase activity – implications for nitrate efflux. Plant Physiology 99: 1582–1589. , , .
- 1981. The use of isotopic nitrogen as a biochemical tracer. In: RootJW, KrohnKA, eds. Short-lived radionuclides in chemistry and biology. Advances in Chemistry Series No. 197. Washington, DC, USA: American Chemistry Society. , .
- 1980. Purification and partial characterization of nitrate reductase from barley leaves. Plant Science Letters 17: 371–381. , , .
- 1989. Intracellular pH: measurement and importance in cell activity. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 271–303. , .
- 1986. Nitrogen-13 studies of nitrate fluxes in barley roots. I. Compartmental analysis from measurements of 13N efflux. Journal of Experimental Botany 37: 1753–1767. , .
- 1986. Nitrogen-13 studies of nitrate fluxes in barley roots. II. Effect of plant N-status on the kinetic parameters of nitrate influx. Journal of Experimental Botany 37: 1768–1779. , .
- 1983. Phosphorus nutrition and the intracellular distribution of inorganic phosphate in pea root tips: a quantitative study using 31P-NMR. Journal of Experimental Botany 34: 1222–1244. , .
- 1986. Effects of nitrogen deficiency on the absorption of nitrate and ammonium by barley plants. Annals of Botany 57: 471–486. , .
- 1986. Cellular compartmentation in plant nutrition: the selective cytoplasm and the promiscuous vacuole. Advances in Plant Nutrition 2: 249–279. , .
- 1982. Nitrogen assimilation in barley (Hordeum vulgare L. cv Mazurka) in response to nitrate and ammonia nutrition. Annals of Botany 49: 39–49. , , .
- 1975. Cortical cell fluxes and transport to the stele in excised root segments of Allium cepa L. I. Potassium, sodium and chloride. Planta 122: 109–130. .
- 1990. Cortical cell fluxes of ammonium and nitrate in excised root segments of Allium cepa L. studies using 15N. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 359–370. , , .
- 1987. Nitrate uptake and assimilation following nitrate deprivation. Journal of Experimental Botany 38: 1079–1090. .
- 1990. Evidence for cotransport of nitrate and protons in maize roots. I. Effects of nitrate on the membrane potential. Plant Physiology 93: 281–289. , , , .
- 1983. Whole plant studies using 13-nitrogen. I. Techniques for measuring the uptake and transport of nitrate and ammonium ions in hydroponically grown Zea mays. Journal of Experimental Botany 34: 880–892. , .
- 1976. Transmembrane electropotential in barley roots as related to cell type, cell location and cutting and aging effects. Plant Physiology 57: 123–128. , .
- 1991. Measurement of intracellular nitrate concentrations in Chara using nitrate-selective microelectrodes. Planta 184: 47–52. , .
- 1973. Simultaneous influx and efflux of nitrate during uptake by perennial ryegrass. Plant Physiology 51: 267–272. , , .
- 2004. Physicochemical and environmental plant physiology. San Francisco, CA, USA: Freeman. .
- 2003. Regulation of NRT1 and NRT2 gene families of Arabidopsis thaliana: responses to nitrate provision. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 304–317. , , .
- 1988. Ion composition of the Chara internode. Plant and Cell Physiology 29: 21–25. , .
- 1987. Short-term studies of NO3− uptake in Pisum using 13NO3−. Planta 170: 550–555. , , , .
- 1970. Compartments and fluxes of K+, Na+ and Cl− in Avena coleoptile cells. Plant Physiology 46: 666–673. , .
- 1965. Ion exchange and diffusion in roots of Hordeum vulgare. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 18: 541–546. .
- 1971. Uptake and transport of ions in barley seedlings. I. Estimation of chloride fluxes in cells of excised roots. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 24: 407–421. .
- 1975. Relation between permeability to potassium and sodium ions and fusicoccin-stimulated hydrogen-ion efflux in barley roots. Planta 126: 61–73. , , .
- 1984. Whole plant studies using radioactive 13-nitrogen. II. A compartmental model for the uptake and transport of nitrate ions by Zea mays. Journal of Experimental Botany 35: 1277–1288. , .
- 1976. Nitrate absorption by barley. I. Kinetics and energetics. Plant Physiology 57: 55–58. , .
- 1983. Adenylate concentrations in Chara: variability, effects of inhibitors and relationship to protoplasmic streaming. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 10: 373–383. , .
- 1985. Regulation of electrogenic pumping in barley by pH and ATP. Journal of Experimental Botany 36: 535–549. , , .
- 1982a. Cation exchange properties of the cell walls of Enteromorpha intestinalis (L.) Link (Ulvales, Chlorophyta). Journal of Experimental Botany 33: 125–139. , .
- 1982b. Ion exchange fluxes of the cell walls of Enteromorpha intestinalis (L.) Link (Ulvales, Chlorophyta). Journal of Experimental Botany 33: 140–153. , .
- 1991. Characterization of a H+/NO3− symport associated with plasma vesicles of maize roots using 36ClO3− as a radiotracer. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 285: 74–82. , .
- 1984. A comparison of methods for determining compartmental analysis parameters. Plant Physiology 76: 913–917. , , .
- 1983. Studies of the growth and mineral nutrition of barley varieties. I. Effect of potassium supply on the uptake of potassium and growth. Canadian Journal of Botany 61: 671–678. , .
- 2002. An evaluation of the evidence for, and implications of, cytoplasmic nitrate homeostasis. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1211–1217. , .
- 1989. Studies of the regulation of nitrate influx by barley seedlings using 13NO3−. Plant Physiology 90: 806–813. , , , .
- 1990. Studies of the uptake of nitrate in barley. I. Kinetics of 13NO3− influx. Plant Physiology 93: 1426–1432. , , ,
- 1991. Studies of the uptake of nitrate in barley. III. Compartmentation of NO3−. Journal of Experimental Botany 42: 1455–1463. , , .
- 1995. Biometry: the principles and practice of statistics in biology research, 3rd edn. New York: Freeman. , .
- 1990. Assimilatory nitrate reductase: functional properties and regulation. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 41: 225–253. , .
- 1948. Membrane electrophoresis in relation to bioelectrical polarisation effects. Nature 162: 961. .
- 1980. Labile anion binding by roots of two plum clones. Physiologia Plantarum 48: 247–250. , .
- 1981. Mechanism of nitrate uptake in corn roots. Plant Science Letters 22: 279–289. , .
- 1979. 13N species formed by proton irradiation of water. Radiation Research 79: 22–33. , .
- 1981. Nitrate-dependent membrane potential changes and their induction in Lemna gibba G1. Plant Science Letters 22: 211–217. , .
- 1949. The distinction by means of tracers between active transport and diffusion. Acta Physiologia Scandinavica 19: 43–56. .
- 1987. A micro-electrode fast data capture technique: its use to examine plant cell electrophysiology in the wheat root. Journal of Experimental Botany 38: 355–366. , .
- 1976. Measurements of fluxes across membranes. In: LüttgeU, PitmanMG, eds. Transport in plants II. Part a: cells. Encyclopedia of plant physiology. New Series, Vol. 2A. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 93–126. , .
- 1991. Compartmental nitrate concentrations in barley root cells measured with nitrate-selective microelectrodes and by single-cell sap sampling. Planta 185: 356–361. , , , , .
- 1992. A comparison of nitrate-selective microelectrodes made with different nitrate sensors and the measurement of intracellular nitrates activities in cells of excised barley roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 131–138. , , .
- 1998. Cloning and functional characterization of a Brassica napus transporter that is able to transport nitrate and histidine. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 12017–12033. , , , , .