Light rings in Chinese pine (Pinus tabulaeformis) in semiarid areas of north China and their palaeo-climatological potential
Version of Record online: 16 JUN 2006
Volume 171, Issue 4, pages 783–791, September 2006
How to Cite
Liang, E. and Eckstein, D. (2006), Light rings in Chinese pine (Pinus tabulaeformis) in semiarid areas of north China and their palaeo-climatological potential. New Phytologist, 171: 783–791. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01775.x
- Issue online: 16 JUN 2006
- Version of Record online: 16 JUN 2006
- Received: 5 March 2006 Accepted: 3 April 2006
- 1984. Response functions revisited. Tree-Ring Bulletin 44: 1–15. , , .
- 1993. The importance of the S3 wall layer in collapse and wood hardness. In: CSIRO Division of Forest Products, eds. Proceedings of the 24th Forest Products Research Conference. Clayton, Victoria, Australia: CSIRO Division of Forest Products, 1–13. .
- 1990. Basic chronology statistics and assessment. In: CookER, KairiukstisLA, eds. Methods of dendrochronology: applications in the environmental sciences. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 137–152. , .
- 1996. Spatiotemporal growth dynamics and disturbances in a subalpine spruce forest in the Alps: a dendrochronological reconstruction. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 26: 991–1001. , , .
- 1990. Methods of dendrochronology: applications in the environmental sciences. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 23–217. , .
- 1937. [The history of famine relief in China.] Beijing, China: Commercial Press (in Chinese). .
- 1989. Definition of latewood according to Mork (1928). IAWA Bulletin 10: 59–62. .
- 2003. Daily weather response of balsam fir (Abies balsamea (L.) Mill.) stem radius increment from dendrometer analysis in the boreal forests of Québec (Canada). Trees – Structure and Function 17: 477–484. , , , .
- 1995. Variation in wood structure of eastern larch defoliated by the larch sawfly in subarctic Québec, Canada. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 25: 1263–1268. , .
- 1986. Light rings in subarctic conifers as a dendrochronological tool. Quaternary Research 26: 272–279. , , , .
- 2004. Suitability of chestnut earlywood vessel chronologies for ecological studies. New Phytologist 163: 77–86. , .
- 1974. Relationships of ring widths in arid-site conifers to variations in monthly temperature and precipitation. Ecological Monograph 44: 411–440. .
- 1976. Tree rings and climate. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 1999. Climatic significance of light rings in timberline spruce, Picea abies, Austrian Alps. Arctic and Alpine Research 31: 242–246. .
- 2000. Characteristics of spruce [Picea abies (L.) Karst] latewood formed under abnormally low temperature. Holzforschung 54: 9–11. , .
- 2004. Extreme temperature events in summer in northwest Siberia since AD 742 inferred from tree rings. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 209: 155–164. , , .
- 1979. A severe drought: impact on tree growth, phenology, net photosynthesis, and water relations. American Midland Naturalist 102: 307–316. , , , , .
- 1994. Response function – users manual. In: HolmesRL, ed. Dendrochronology program library. Tucson, AZ, USA: Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, University of Arizona, 51. .
- 1994. A preliminary reconstruction of rainfall in north-central China since A.D. 1600 from tree-ring density and width. Quaternary Research 42: 88–99. , , , .
- 1982. The arctic. In: HughesMK, KellyPM, PilcherJR, LamarcheVC, eds. Climate from tree rings. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 107–114. , , , , .
- 2001. Application of scanning UV microspectrophotometry to localise lignins and phenolic extractives in plant cell walls. Holzforschung 55: 563–567. , .
- 1993. Dendrochronology of roots. Dendrochronologia 11: 9–23. , .
- 1997. Late-Holocene light-ring chronologies from subfossile black spruce stems in mires of subarctic Québec. Holocene 7: 129–137. , .
- 1997. Wood structure of biologically and climatically induced light rings in eastern larch (Larix laricina). Canadian Journal of Forest Research 27: 1538–1847. , , .
- 2006. The 1920s drought recorded by tree rings and historical documents in semi-arid and arid areas of northern China. Climatic Change. (In press.) , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The extreme drought in the 1920s and its effect on tree growth deduced from tree ring analysis: a case study in North China. Annals of Forest Science 60: 145–152. , , , .
- 1999. [Tree-ring seasonal precipitation reconstruction for Mt. Da Qing Area, Inner Mongolia, China for the last 376 years.] Chinese Science Bulletin 44: 1986–1992 (in Chinese). , .
- 2001. Pilot study of latewood-width of conifers as an indicator of variability of summer rainfall in the North American monsoon region. International Journal of Climatology 21: 697–708. , .
- 2001. Hydrometeorological reconstructions for northeastern Mongolia derived from tree rings: 1651–1995. Journal of Climate 14: 872–881. , , , , .
- 2000. Xylem structure in pine trees grown near the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant/Ukraine. IAWA Journal 21: 379–387. , , .
- 2004. Cambium dynamics of Pinus sylvestris and Betula spp. in the northern boreal forest in Finland. Silva Fennica 38: 167–178. , , .
- 1988. Tree rings: basics and applications of dendrochronology. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. .
- 2002. High variability in the thickness of the S3 layer in Pinus radiata tracheids. Holzforschung 56: 111–116. , , .
- 1996. White spruce light rings in northwestern Canada. Arctic and Alpine Research 28: 184–189. .
- 1993. Drought-induced leaf shedding in walnut: evidence for vulnerability segmentation. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 879–882. , , , , .
- 1990. The tracheidogram method in tree-ring analysis and its application. In: CookER, KairiukstisLA, eds. Methods of dendrochronology: applications in the environmental sciences. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 63–76. .
- 2005. High-resolution time series of vessel density in Kenyan mangrove trees reveal a link with climate. New Phytologist 167: 425–435. , , , , .
- 2003. Drought damage and recovery a conceptual model. New Phytologist 160: 7–14. , .
- 1992. Light rings and the age of jack pine trees. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 22: 2011–2013. , .
- 1991. [Environmental change and its relation to the SE monsoon at Daihai Lake, Inner Mongolia.] Science in China (D) 7: 759–768 (in Chinese). , .
- 2000. A quantitative definition of light rings in black spruce (Picea mariana) at the arctic treeline in northern Québec, Canada. Arctic and Alpine Research 32: 324–330. , , .
- 1997. [Climate change in arid and semiarid regions of China.] Beijing, China: China Meteorological Press (in Chinese). .
- 1993. Relationship of temperature and light ring formation at subarctic treeline and implications for climate reconstruction. Quaternary Research 3: 256–262. , , .
- 1968. Water deficits and growth of trees. In: KozlowskiTT, ed. Water deficits and plant growth, Vol. 2. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 191–254. .