Seasonal course of translocation, storage and remobilization of 13C pulse-labeled photoassimilate in naturally growing Larix gmelinii saplings
Article first published online: 5 JUN 2006
Volume 171, Issue 4, pages 793–804, September 2006
How to Cite
Kagawa, A., Sugimoto, A. and Maximov, T. C. (2006), Seasonal course of translocation, storage and remobilization of 13C pulse-labeled photoassimilate in naturally growing Larix gmelinii saplings. New Phytologist, 171: 793–804. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01780.x
- Issue published online: 16 JUN 2006
- Article first published online: 5 JUN 2006
- Received: 24 January 2006 Accepted: 7 April 2006
- 1997. Peculiarities of forming and functioning larch forests on frozen soils. Lesovedenie 5: 13–23. , , , .
- 1998. Variability and ecology of Siberian larch species. Report no. 43. Umeå, Sweden: Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Silviculture. , , , .
- 2004. Anatomy of Russian woods. Berne, Switzerland: Haupt. , .
- 1991. Stable carbon isotope ratios of natural materials. I. Sample preparation and mass spectrometric analysis. In: ColemanDC, FryB, eds. Carbon isotope techniques. New York: Academic Press, 155–172. .
- 1971a. Primary growth. In: ZimmermannMH, BrownCL, eds. Trees: structure and function. New York: Springer, 1–66. .
- 1971b. Chapter II secondary growth. In: ZimmermannMH, BrownCL, eds. Trees: structure and function. New York: Springer, 67–123. .
- 1988. Correlation between the carbon isotope discrimination in leaf starch and sugars of C3 plants and the ratio of intercellular and atmospheric partial pressures of carbon dioxide. Plant Physiology 88: 1418–1424. , , , , .
- 2003. Carbon isotope composition of current-year shoots from Fagus sylvatica in relation to growth, respiration and use of reserves. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 207–219. , .
- 1982. On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the intercellular carbon dioxide concentration in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 121–137. , , .
- 1976. Tree rings and climate. New York: Academic Press. .
- 1992. Grey larch leaf-roller (Zeiraphera diniana) in the north of the Krasnoyarks Territory. Zoologicheskii Zhurnal 71: 69–78. .
- 2003. The Siberian moth Dendrolimus sibiricus in Yakutia in the 20th century. Lesovedenie 6: 71–73. , .
- 1968. Seasonal course of photosynthesis, respiration and distribution of 14C in young Pinus resinosa trees as related to wood formation. Plant Physiology 43: 1617–1624. , .
- 1990. Larches: deciduous conifers in an evergreen world. Bioscience 40: 818–826. , .
- 1990. The fate and path of assimilation products in the stem of 8-year-old Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) trees. Trees 4: 16–21. , .
- 1994. Seasonal changes in the utilization and turnover of assimilation products in 8-year-old Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) trees. Trees 8: 172–182. , .
- 1997. Conifer carbohydrate physiology: updating classical views. In: RennenbergH, EschrichW, ZieglerH, eds. Trees – contributions to modern tree physiology. Leiden, the Netherlands: Backhuys. , , , , .
- 2004. Tree rings, isotopes, climate and environment – TRICE. PAGES Newsletter 12: 22–23. , .
- 2004. Beyond CO2-fixation by Rubisco – an interpretation of 13C/12C variations in tree rings from novel intra-seasonal studies on broad-leaf trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 367–380. , .
- 2001. Modelling tree-ring δ13C. Dendrochronologia 19: 23–38. , , , , , .
- 1995. Rapid recycling of triose phosphates in oak stem tissue. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 931–936. , , , , .
- 2003. Non-structural carbon compounds in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1067–1081. , , .
- 2002. The relationship between the stable carbon isotope composition of needle bulk material, starch, and tree rings in Picea abies. Oecologia 131: 325–332. , , , .
- 1998. Can carbon isotopic discrimination in young peach trees be considered as a tool to understand the seasonal dynamic of the stored carbon? Acta Horticulturae 465: 327–335. , .
- 2001. Relationship between δ13C and widths of larch and pine tree rings. Activity Report of GAME Siberia 26: 33–34. , , .
- 2003. Effects of spatial and temporal variability in soil moisture on widths and δ13C values of eastern Siberian tree rings. Journal of Geophysical Research 108(D16): 4500 doi 10.1029/2002JD003019. , , , .
- 2005. Temporal photosynthetic carbon isotope signatures revealed in a tree ring through 13CO2 pulse-labelling. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 906–915. , , , .
- 2006. 13CO2 pulse-labeling of photoassimilates reveals carbon allocation within and between tree rings. Plant, Cell & Environment. (In press.) doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3040.2006.01533.x , , .
- 1999. Above- and belowground biomass and net primary productivity of a Larix gmelinii stand near Tura, central Siberia. Tree Physiology 19: 815–822. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Root system development of Larix gmelinii trees affected by micro-scale conditions of permafrost soils in central Siberia. Plant and Soil 255: 281–292. , , , , , .
- 1994. Biomass of a Larix gmelinii (Rupr.) Litv. stand in Spaskayapad Yakutsk. In: InoueG, ed. Second Symposium on Joint Siberian Permafrost Studies between Japan and Russia in 1993. Tsukuba, Japan: Isebu, 153–158. .
- 1999. Root distribution at a larch forest in Spasskaya Pad, the eastern Siberia. Activity Report of GAME Siberia 14: 69–70. , .
- 1992. Carbohydrate sources and sinks in woody plants. Botanical Review 58: 107–222. .
- 2002. Relationships among water dynamics, soil moisture and vapor pressure deficit in a Larix gmelinii stand, eastern boreal Siberia. Journal of Japanese Forestry Society 84: 246–254 (in Japanese). , , , , .
- 2001. Effect of leaf habit and soil type on nutrient resorption and conservation in woody species of a dry tropical environment. Canadian Journal of Botany 79: 1066–1075. , , , .
- 1974. Paleoclimatic inferences from long tree-ring records. Science 183: 1043–1048. .
- 1985. Respiration in intact plants and tissues: its regulation and dependence on environmental factors, metabolism, and invaded organisms. Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology, New Series 18: 418–473. .
- 1993. Environmental information from 13C/12C ratios in wood. In: SwartPK, LohmannKC, McKenzieJ, SavinS, eds. Climate Change in Continental Isotopic Records. Geophysical Monograph 78. Washington, DC, USA: American Geophysical Union, 325–331. .
- 1991. Long-term records and basic principles of tree ring isotope data with emphasis on local environmental conditions. European Palaeoclimate and Man 1: 105–117. , .
- 1999. The carbon balance of tropical, temperate and boreal forests. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 715–740. , , .
- 2004. Stable isotopes in tree rings. Quaternary Science Reviews 23: 771–801. , .
- 1993. Spatial patterns of tree-growth anomalies in the United States and southeastern Canada. Journal of Climate 6: 1773–1786. , , , , .
- 1968. Wood chemistry (Vol. 2). Tokyo: Kyoritsu Shuppan (in Japanese). , , .
- 1998. Growth and metabolite supply of Larix gmelinii on cryogenic soils in central Siberia. Lesovedenie 5: 18–25. , , , , .
- 2001. Time-series analysis of δ13C from tree rings. I. Time trends and autocorrelation. Tree Physiology 21: 1087–1102. , .
- 2000. Genetic and environmental control of seasonal carbohydrate dynamics in trees of diverse Pinus sylvestris populations. Tree Physiology 20: 837–847. , , , , .
- 1994. Forest fire history and tree growth patterns in east Siberia. In: InoueG, ed. Second Symposium on the Joint Siberian Permafrost Studies between Japan and Russia in 1993. Tsukuba, Japan: Isebu, 159–163. , , .
- 1995. Biological considerations in the interpretation of stable isotope ratios in oak tree rings. In: FrenzelB, StaufferB, WeissMM, eds. Paläoklimaforschung 15. Strasbourg, France: European Science Foundation, 157–161. .
- 2004. Allocation of 14C-carbon in two species of larch seedlings infected with ectomycorrhizal fungi. Tree Physiology 24: 1369–1376. , , , , , .
- 1997. Signal strength and climate relationships in 13C/12C ratios of tree ring cellulose from oak in east England. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 19507–19516. , , , , , , .
- 1962. Studies on the frost-hardiness of woody plants. II. Effect of temperature on hardening. Plant Physiology 41: 353–359. .
- 1973. Ecological characteristics of forest in Yakutia Low temperature science. Series B. Biological Sciences 31: 49–66 (in Japanese). .
- 1970. Seasonal pathways of 14C-photosynthate in red pine labeled in May, July, and October. Forest Science 16: 1–13. .
- 1999. Isotope signals as climate proxies: the role of transfer functions in the study of terrestrial archives. Quaternary Science Reviewss 18: 927–943. , , , .
- 1989. Seasonal course of translocation and distribution of 14C-labelled photoassimilate in young trees of Larix decidua Mill. Trees 4: 185–191. , .
- 1999. Productivity of forests in Eurosiberian boreal region and their potential to act as a carbon sink – a synthesis. Global Change Biology 5: 703–722. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Tree rings. Basic applications to Dendrochronology. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer. .
- 1997. Carbon allocation and carbon transfer between Betula papyrifera and Pseudotsuga menziesii seedlings using a 13C pulse-labeling method. Plant and Soil 191: 41–55. , , .
- 1988. Use of an in situ labeling technique for the determination of seasonal 14C distribution in Ponderosa pine. Plant and Soil 106: 221–230. , .
- 2001. Estimation of accumulating functions of inner bark and wood of Larix gmelinii (Pinaceae) under low temperature and hypoxia stresses impact in rhizosphere. Botanicheskii Zhurnal (Leningrad) 86: 89–97. , , .
- 2003. Characteristics of soil moisture in permafrost observed in East Siberian Taiga with stable isotopes of water. Hydrological Processes 17: 1073–1092. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Stable isotope studies in tree rings from oak – techniques and some preliminary results. In: FrenzelB, StaufferB, WeissMM, eds. Problems of stable isotopes in tree rings, lake sediments and peat bogs as climatic evidence for the Holocene. Palaeoklimaforschung, Paleoclimate Research 15. Stuttgart, Germany: Gustav Fischer, 129–140. , , , , .
- 1997. Changes in the δ13C values of trees during a tropical rainy season: some effects in addition to diffusion and carboxylation by Rubisco? American Journal of Botany 84: 1693–1700. .
- 1965. The Forests of the USSR. Jerusalem: Israel Program for Scientific Translations. .
- 1968. Seasonal changes in the distribution of photoassimilated 14C in young pine plants. Plant Physiology 43: 845–852. , , .
- 2004. Annual cyclicity in high-resolution stable carbon and oxygen isotope ratios in the wood of the mangrove tree Rhizophora mucronata. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1525–1536. , , , , , .
- 1980. Fractionation of the carbon isotopes during photosynthesis. Sitzungsberichte der Heidelberger Akademie der Wissenschaften. Berlin: Springer, 111–135. .
- 1997. Leaf conductance and CO2 assimilation of Larix gmelinii growing in an eastern Siberian boreal forest. Tree Physiology 17: 607–615. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. The extreme continental larch forests of eastern Siberia with thermokarst formations. In: , eds. Vegetation of the Earth, and ecological systems of the Geo-biosphere (3rd edn). Heidelberg, Germany: Springer, 268–274. .
- 1971. Storage, mobilization and circulation of assimilates. In: ZimmermannMH, BrownCL, eds. Trees: structure and function. New York: Springer, 307–331. .