Genome-wide analysis of the structural genes regulating defense phenylpropanoid metabolism in Populus
Article first published online: 1 AUG 2006
Volume 172, Issue 1, pages 47–62, October 2006
How to Cite
Tsai, C.-J., Harding, S. A., Tschaplinski, T. J., Lindroth, R. L. and Yuan, Y. (2006), Genome-wide analysis of the structural genes regulating defense phenylpropanoid metabolism in Populus. New Phytologist, 172: 47–62. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01798.x
- Issue published online: 1 AUG 2006
- Article first published online: 1 AUG 2006
- Received: 4 April 2006 Accepted: 28 April 2006
- 2003. The Arabidopsis TDS4 gene encodes leucoanthocyanidin dioxygenase (LDOX) and is essential for proanthocyanidin synthesis and vacuole development. Plant Journal 35: 624–636. , , , , , .
- 1997. Diversity of structure and antiherbivore activity in condensed tannins. Ecology 78: 1696–1712. , , , , .
- 2006. A genetic similarity rule determines arthropod community structure. Molecular Ecology 15: 1379–1392. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Expression of an Antirrhinum dihydroflavonol reductase gene results in changes in condensed tannin structure and accumulation in root cultures of Lotus corniculatus (bird's foot trefoil). Plant Molecular Biology 35: 443–458. , , , .
- 2003. MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry and PSD fragmentation as means for the analysis of condensed tannins in plant leaves and needles. Phytochemistry 62: 1159–1170. , , , .
- 2003. Lignin biosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 519–546. , , .
- 1998. Introduction to flavonoids, Vol. 2. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Hardwood Academic Publishers. .
- 1989. Systemically wound-responsive genes in poplar trees encode proteins similar to sweet potato sporamins and legume Kunitz trypsin inhibitors. Plant Molecular Biology 14: 51–59. , , , , .
- 1991. cDNA cloning, sequence analysis and seasonal expression of lignin-bispecific caffeic acid 5-hydroxyferulic acid O-methyltransferase of aspen. Plant Molecular Biology 17: 1203–1215. , , .
- 1993. A simple and efficient method for isolating RNA from pine trees. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 11: 113–116. , , .
- 2003. Multiple sequence alignment with the clustal series of programs Nucleic Acids Research 31: 3497–3500. , , , , , , .
- 1998. A chalcone synthase with an unusual substrate preference is expressed in barley leaves in response to UV light and pathogen attack. Plant Molecular Biology 37: 849–857. , , , .
- 2005. Biology and management of insect pests in North American intensively-managed hardwood forest systems. Annual Review of Entomology 50: 1–29. , , ,
- 2000. Molecular evolution of the chalcone synthase multigene family in the morning glory genome. Plant Molecular Biology 42: 79–92. , , .
- 2005. Global transcript profiling of primary stems from Arabidopsis thaliana identifies candidate genes for missing links in lignin biosynthesis and transcriptional regulators of fiber differentiation. Plant Journal 42: 618–640. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Molecular evolution of flavonoid dioxygenases in the family Apiaceae. Phytochemistry 66: 1273–1284. , , , , , .
- 2002. Solute accumulation of chestnut oak and dogwood leaves in response to throughfall manipulation of an upland oak forest. Tree Physiology 22: 251–260. , .
- 2000. Energy dissipation and radical scavenging by the plant phenylpropanoid pathway. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B 355: 1499–1510. , .
- 1990. Analysis of phenolics of bud exudate of Populus angustifolia by GC-MS. Phytochemistry 29: 2551–2554. , .
- 1991a. Chemotaxonomy of section Leuce poplars by GC-MS of bud exudates. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 19: 507–518. , , , .
- 1991b. Interrelationships of poplars in a hybrid swarm as studied by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 203–208. , , .
- 1991c. Analysis of phenolics of bud exudate of Populus sieboldii by GC-MS. Phytochemistry 30: 3005–3008. , , , .
- 1992. Relationships of Populus×acuminate and Populus×generosa with their parental species examined by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry of bud exudates. Canadian Journal of Botany 70: 212–221. , , .
- 1977. Flavonoids and the evolution of the angiosperms. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 5: 7–22. .
- 2000. Morphological and molecular evidence for hybridization and introgression in a willow (Salix) hybrid zone. Molecular Ecology 9: 9–24. , , , , .
- 2002. Differential substrate inhibition couples kinetically distinct 4-coumarate:coenzyme A ligases with spatially distinct metabolic roles in quaking aspen. Plant Physiology 128: 428–438. , , , .
- 2005. Functional genomics analysis of foliar condensed tannin and phenolic glycoside regulation in natural cottonwood hybrids. Tree Physiology 25: 1475–1486. , , , , , .
- 1998. Stress responses in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). XXII. cDNA cloning and characterization of an elicitor-inducible isoflavone 7-O-methyltransferase. Plant Molecular Biology 36: 43–54. , , .
- 1993. Cloning of cDNA coding for dihydroflavonol-4-reductase (DFR) and characterization of DFR expression in the corollas of Gerbera hybrida var. regina (Compositae). Plant Molecular Biology 22: 183–193. , , , , .
- 1996. Duplication and functional divergence in the chalcone synthase gene family of Asteraceae: evolution with substrate change and catalytic simplification. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 93: 9033–9038. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Purification, cloning, and properties of an acyltransferase controlling shikimate and quinate ester intermediates in phenylpropanoid metabolism. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 95–103. , , , , .
- 1995. Genetics and biochemistry of anthocyanin biosynthesis. Plant Cell 7: 1071–1083. , .
- 2003. A novel Mg2+-dependent O-methyltransferase in the phenylpropanoid metabolism of Mesembryanthemum crystallinum. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 43961–43972. , , , .
- 1994. Covalent cross-links in the cell wall. Plant Physiology 104: 315–320. , , .
- 2001. Chlorogenic acid as an antiherbivore defence of willows against leaf beetles. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 99: 47–54. , , .
- 2001. Alteration of a single amino acid changes the substrate specificity of dihydroflavonol 4-reductase. Plant Journal 25: 325–333. , , , , , .
- 2004. Polyphenolics in Rhizophora mangle L. leaves and their changes during leaf development and senescence. Trees 18: 518–528. , , , .
- 2002. Differential expression of two distinct phenylalanine ammonia-lyase genes in condensed tannin-accumulating and lignifying cells of quaking aspen. Plant Physiology 130: 796–807. , , .
- 1994. An alternative methylation pathway in lignin biosynthesis in zinnia. Plant Cell 6: 1427–1439. , , , .
- 2004. mega3: integrated software for molecular evolutionary genetics analysis and sequence alignment. Briefings in Bioinformatics 5: 150–163. , , .
- 2002. O-methyltransferases involved in the biosynthesis of volatile phenolic derivatives in rose petals. Plant Physiology 129: 1899–1907. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Diversity, redundancy and multiplicity in chemical defense systems of aspen. In: RomeoJT, SaundersJA, BarbosaP, eds. Phytochemical diversity and redundancy in ecological interactions. New York, NY, USA: Plenum Press, 25–54. , .
- 1988. Chemical ecology of the tiger swallowtail: mediation of host use by phenolic glycosides. Ecology 69: 814–822. , , .
- 2003. New perspectives on proanthocyanidin biochemistry and molecular regulation. Phytochemistry 64: 367–383. , , .
- 2002. Recent breakthroughs in the study of salicylic acid biosynthesis. Trends in Plant Science 7: 332–334. .
- 2000. Modifications in lignin and accumulation of phenolic glucosides in poplar xylem upon down-regulation of caffeoyl-coenzyme A O-methyltransferase, an enzyme involved in lignin biosynthesis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 275: 36899–36909. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Functional expression of an Arabidopsis cDNA clone encoding a flavonol 3′-O-methyltransferase and characterization of the gene product. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 375: 385–388. , , , , .
- 2004. Engineering plants with increased levels of the antioxidant chlorogenic acid. Nature Biotechnology 22: 746–754. , , .
- 2004. Regulation of gene expression involved in flavonol and anthocyanin biosynthesis during petal development in lisianthus (Eustoma grandiflorum). Physiologia Plantarum 122: 305–313. , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of genotype, nutrient availability and defoliation on aspen phytochemistry and insect performance. Journal of Chemical Ecology 27: 1289–1313. , .
- 2004. Long-term effects of defoliation on quaking aspen in relation to genotype and nutrient availability: plant growth, phytochemistry and insect performance. Oecologia 139: 55–65. , .
- 2006. Genotype and environment determine allocation to and costs of resistance in quaking aspen. Oecologia. doi: 10.1007/s00442-006-0373-8. , .
- 2004. Variation in expression and protein localization of the PIN family of auxin efflux facilitator proteins in flavonoid mutants with altered auxin transport in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 16: 1898–1911. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Molecular cloning and expression of a new class of ortho-diphenol-O-methyltransferases induced in tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.) leaves by infection or elicitor treatment. Plant Physiology 103: 509–517. , , , .
- 2005. Accumulation of phenolic compounds in birch leaves is changed by elevated carbon dioxide and ozone. Global Change Biology 11: 1305–1324. , , .
- 2002. Molecular analysis of herbivore-induced condensed tannin synthesis: cloning and expression of dihydroflavonol reductase from trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides). Plant Journal 32: 701–712. , .
- 1994. Salicylic acid and its derivatives in plants: medicines, metabolites and messenger molecules. Advances in Botanical Research 20: 163–235. .
- 2003. Genome-wide characterization of the lignification toolbox in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 133: 1051–1071. , , , , .
- 1995. Molecular and enzymatic characterization of 2 stilbene synthases from eastern white-pine (Pinus strobus) – a single Arg/His difference determines the activity and the pH-dependence of the enzymes. FEBS Letters 361: 299–302. , , .
- 2005. Partial reconstruction of flavonoid and isoflavonoid biosynthesis in yeast using soybean type I and type II chalcone isomerases. Plant Physiology 137: 1375–1388. , , , .
- 2003. Beta-alanine N-methyltransferase of Limonium latifolium. cDNA cloning and functional expression of a novel N-methyltransferase implicated in the synthesis of the osmoprotectant beta-alanine betaine. Plant Physiology 132: 1642–1651. , .
- 2004. Suppression subtractive hybridization-mediated transcriptome analysis from multiple tissues of aspen (Populus tremuloides) altered in phenylpropanoid metabolism. Planta 219: 694–704. , , , , , .
- 1999. Patterns of evolutionary rate variation among genes of the anthocyanin biosynthetic pathway. Molecular Biology and Evolution 16: 266–274. , , .
- 1989. Caffeic acid esters as in vitro inhibitors of plant pathogenic bacteria and fungi. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 17: 175–184. , , , .
- 2004. Molecular phenotyping of the pal1 and pal2 mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana reveals far-reaching consequences on and carbohydrate metabolism. Plant Cell 16: 2749–2771. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of balsam poplar (Populus balsamifera) tannins and low molecular weight phenolics on microbial activity in taiga floodplain soil: implications for changes in N cycling during succession. Canadian Journal of Botany 74: 84–90. , , , , .
- 2004. Genetically based trait in a dominant tree affects ecosystem processes. Ecology Letter 7: 127–134. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. A comprehensive analysis of six dihydroflavonol 4-reductases encoded by a gene cluster of the Lotus japonicus genome. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2573–2585. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Specificities of functionally expressed chalcone and acridone synthases from Ruta graveolens. European Journal of Biochemistry 267: 6552– 6559. , , , , .
- 1991. Flavonoid evolution: an enzymatic approach. Plant Physiology 96: 680–685. .
- 2004. A Populus EST resource for plant functional genomics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 101: 13951–13956. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Flavonol synthase activity and the regulation of flavonol and anthocyanin biosynthesis during flower development in Dianthus caryophyllus L (Carnation). Zeitschrift Fur Naturforschung C 47: 553–560. , , , .
- 1998. Inhibition of phenolic acid metabolism results in precocious cell death and altered cell morphology in leaves of transgenic tobacco plants. Plant Cell 10: 1801–1816. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Proanthocyanidin biosynthesis in plants – purification of legume leucoanthocyanidin reductase and molecular cloning of its cDNA. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 31647–31656. , , , , , .
- 2005. Flavonoids as developmental regulators. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 317–323. , .
- 1998. Suppression of O-methyltransferase gene by homologous sense transgene in quaking aspen causes red–brown wood phenotypes. Plant Physiology 17: 101–112. , , , , , .
- 1990. Molecular studies on enzymes in chorismate metabolism and the enterobactin biosynthetic pathway. Chemical Reviews 90: 1105–1129. , , , .
- 1996. Ecological and evolutionary implications of hybridization: Populus–herbivore interactions. In: StettlerRF BradshawHDJr HeilmanPEHinckleyTM, eds. Biology of Populus and its Implications for Management and Conservation. Ottawa: NRC. Research Press, 247–276. , , , , .
- 2003. Community and ecosystem genetics: a consequence of the extended phenotype. Ecology 84: 559–573. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Isochorismate synthase is required to synthesize salicylic acid for plant defence. Nature 414: 562–565. , , , .
- 2004. Metabolic channeling in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 85–107. .
- 2001. Flavonoid biosynthesis. A colorful model for genetics, biochemistry, cell biology, and biotechnology. Plant Physiology 126: 485–493. .
- 2004. The key role of phloroglucinol O-methyltransferase in the biosynthesis of Rosa chinensis volatile 1,3,5-trimethoxybenzene. Plant Physiology 135: 95–102. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Molecular and biochemical analysis of two cDNA clones encoding dihydroflavonol-4-reductase from Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiology 134: 979–994. , , , , .
- 1967. Pathways of salicyl alcohol and salicin in Salix purpurea L. Phytochemistry. 6: 245–252. .
- 1983. Tannins: does structure determine function? An ecological perspective. American Naturist 121: 335–365. .