Sapling strength and safety: the importance of wood density in tropical forests
Article first published online: 23 JUN 2006
Volume 171, Issue 2, pages 237–239, July 2006
How to Cite
Falster, D. S. (2006), Sapling strength and safety: the importance of wood density in tropical forests. New Phytologist, 171: 237–239. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01809.x
- Issue published online: 23 JUN 2006
- Article first published online: 23 JUN 2006
- 1984. Light requirements of neotropical tree seedlings a comparative study of growth and survival. Journal of Ecology 72: 777–796. .
- 1992. Life history diversity of canopy and emergent trees in a neotropical rain forest. Ecological Monographs 62: 315–344. , .
- 1987. Tropical rainforest gaps and tree species diversity. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 18: 431–451. .
- 1999. Allometric scaling of production and life-history variation in vascular plants. Nature 401: 907–911. , , , .
- 2005. Alternative height strategies among 45 dicot rain forest species from tropical Queensland, Australia. Journal of Ecology 93: 521–535. , .
- 2006. Wood mechanics, allometry, and life-history variation in a tropical rain forest tree community. New Phytologist 171: 367–378. , , .
- 2006. The role of wood density and stem support costs in the growth and mortality of tropical trees. Journal of Ecology 94: 670–680. , , , .
- 1973. Size and shape in biology. Science 179: 1201–1204. .
- 1992. Plant biomechanics: an engineering approach to plant form and function. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. .
- 2006. Leaf traits are good predictors of plant performance across 53 rain forest species. Ecology 87: 1733–1743. , .
- 2006. Architecture of 54 moist forest tree speceies: traits, trade-offs, and functional groups. Ecology 87: 1289–1301. , , .
- 2006. Leaf traits determine the growth-survival trade-off across rain forest tree species. American Naturalist 167: 758–765. , , .
- 2001. Character convergence, diversity, and disturbance in tropical rain forest in Guyana. Ecology 82: 3197–3212. , .
- 2001. The ecology of trees in the tropical rain forest. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1999. Low-light carbon balance and shade tolerance in the seedlings of woody plants: do winter deciduous and broad-leaved evergreen species differ? New Phytologist 143: 143–154. , .
- 2003. Gap-dependent recruitment, realized vital rates, and size distributions of tropical trees. Ecology 84: 3174–3185. , , , .