Elevated CO2 induces physiological, biochemical and structural changes in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana
Article first published online: 12 JUL 2006
Volume 172, Issue 1, pages 92–103, October 2006
How to Cite
Teng, N., Wang, J., Chen, T., Wu, X., Wang, Y. and Lin, J. (2006), Elevated CO2 induces physiological, biochemical and structural changes in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist, 172: 92–103. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01818.x
- Issue published online: 12 JUL 2006
- Article first published online: 12 JUL 2006
- Received: 26 February 2006 Accepted: 5 May 2006
Vol. 172, Issue 2, 378, Article first published online: 22 SEP 2006
- 2001. Inter- and intragenotypic competition under elevated carbon dioxide in Arabidopsis thaliana. Ecology 82: 157–164. , , .
- 1997. Effects of elevated CO2 on chloroplast components, gas exchange and growth of oak and cherry. Tree Physiology 17: 319–325. , , , .
- 1998. Stomatal responses of the ‘living fossil’Ginkgo biloba L. to changes in atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 1603–1607. , , .
- 1997. Growth at high CO2 affects the chloroplast number but not the photosynthetic efficiency of photoautotrophic Marchantia polymorpha culture cells. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 48: 103–110. , , , .
- 2001. Growth stage–based phenotypic analysis of Arabidopsis: a model for high throughput functional genomics in plants. Plant Cell 13: 1499–1510. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Relationships of starch concentration with species leaf weight and mineral concentrations in potato leaves under varied CO2 and temperature. Acta Botanica Sinica 39: 1118–1125. , .
- 1995. Effects of CO2 enrichment, leaf position and clone on stomatal index and epidermal cell density in poplar (Populus). New Phytologist 131: 99–107. , , .
- 1998. A rapid method to screen for cell-wall mutants using discriminant analysis of Fourier transform infrared spectra. Plant Journal 16: 385–392. , , , , , .
- 1997. Levels of cytokinins in the ovules of cotton mutants with altered fiber development. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 16: 181–185. , , , .
- 1998. Effects of short- and long-term elevated CO2 on the expression of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase genes and carbohydrate accumulation in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Plant Physiology 116: 715–723. , , .
- 2006. Systemic signalling of environmental cues in Arabidopsis leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 329–341. , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Photosynthetic inhibition after long-term exposure to elevated levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide. Photosynthesis Research 7: 175–184. , , .
- 1969. Variation in total soluble sugars of conifer tissues with method of analysis. Phytochemistry 8: 227–233. .
- 2001. Leaf area is stimulated in Populus by free air CO2 enrichment (POPFACE), through increased cell expansion and production. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 305–315. , , , , .
- 2001. Growth, cell walls, and UDP-Glc dehydrogenase activity of Arabidopsis grown in elevated carbon dioxide. Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 569–576. , , .
- 2001. Plant growth in elevated CO2 alters mitochondrial number and chloroplast fine structure. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 2473–2478. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Inhibition of RNA and protein synthesis in pollen tube development of Pinus bungeana by actinomycin D and cycloheximide. New Phytologist 165: 721–730. , , , .
- 2003. The role of stomata in sensing and driving environmental change. Nature 424: 901–908. , .
- 1997. Accelerated early growth of rice at elevated CO2: is it related to developmental changes in the shoot apex? Plant Physiology 115: 15–22. , , , , , .
- 1991. Nutrient dilution by starch in CO2-enriched chrysanthemum. Journal of Experimental Biology 42: 711–716. , , , .
- 1995. Chloroplast ultrastructure of sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.) cultivated in normal and elevated CO2 concentrations with two contrasted nitrogen supplies. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 1797–1802. , , , .
- 2001. Plant development: Signals from mature to new leaves. Nature 411: 154. , , , .
- 2002. Impact of elevated CO2 and O3 on gas exchange parameters and epidermal characteristics in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 737–746. , , , , , .
- 1999. The effects of elevated CO2 and light environment on growth and reproductive performance of four annual species. New Phytologist 144: 455–462. , , .
- 2002. Responses of carboxylating enzymes, sucrose metabolizing enzymes and plant hormones in a tropical epiphytic CAM orchid to CO2 enrichment. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 369–737. , , , , .
- 2001. Stomatal density and needle anatomy of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) are affected by elevated CO2. New Phytologist 150: 665–674. , , .
- 2002. Effects of genotype and nutrient availability on phytochemistry of trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.) during leaf senescence. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 30: 297–307. , , , .
- 1992. Photosynthetic CO2 assimilation and rising atmospheric CO2 concentrations. In: BakerNR, ThomasH, eds. Crop photosynthesis: spatial and temporal determinants. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier, 69–95. , .
- 2005. Stomatal density, anatomy and nutrient concentrations of Scots pine needles are affected by elevated CO2 and temperature. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 733–749. , , , , .
- 2000. The effects of elevated CO2 concentrations on cell division rates, growth patterns, and blade anatomy in young wheat plants are modulated by factors related to leaf position, vernalization, and genotype. Plant Physiology 122: 1399–1415. .
- 2000. Macromolecular biophysics of the plant cell wall: concepts and methodology. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 38: 1–13. , .
- 1997. Influence of plant growth at high CO2 concentrations on leaf content of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase and intracellular distribution of soluble carbohydrates in tobacco, snapdragon, and parsley. Plant Physiology 115: 241–248. , , .
- 2003. Classification and identification of Arabidopsis cell wall mutants using Fourier-Transform InfraRed (FT-IR) microspectroscopy. Plant Journal 35: 393–404. , , , , .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bio-assays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiologia Plantarum 15: 473–497. , .
- 1986. Effects of atmospheric CO2 enrichment on the growth and mineral nutrition of Quercus alba seedlings in nutrient-poor soil. Plant Physiology 82: 83–89. , , .
- 1999. Tree responses to rising CO2 in field experiments: implications for the future forest. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 683–714. , , , , .
- 2001. In situ effects of elevated atmospheric CO2 on leaf freezing resistance and carbohydrates in a native temperate grassland. Annals of Botany 87: 839–844. , , .
- 2001. Impacts of elevated CO2 and/or O3 on leaf ultrastructure of aspen (Populus tremuloides) and birch (Betula papyrifera) in the aspen FACE experiment. Environmental Pollution 115: 437–446. , , .
- 2004. Modulation of the cellulose content of tuber cell walls by antisense expression of different potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) CesA clones. Phytochemistry 65: 535–546. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Effect of elevated CO2 on the stomatal distribution and leaf physiology of Alnus glutinosa. New Phytologist 145: 511–521. , , , .
- 1997. Elevated atmospheric CO2 differentially affects needle chloroplast ultrastructure and phloem anatomy in Pinus palustris: interactions with soil resource availability. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 461–471. , , , .
- 2001. Influence of atmospheric oxygen on leaf structure and starch deposition in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 419–428. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Leaf photosynthetic characteristics of silver birch during three years of exposure to elevated CO2 and O3 in the field. Tree Physiology 25: 549–560. , , .
- 1999. Effects of long term CO2 enrichment and nutrient availability in Norway spruce. II. Foliarchemistry. Trees 14: 17–27. , .
- 1995. Significant changes in cell and chloroplast development in young wheat leaves (Triticum aestivum cv hereward) grown in elevated CO2. Plant Physiology 107: 63–71. , .
- 2001. Effect of elevated CO2 on monoterpene emission of young Quercus ilex trees and its relation to structural and ecophysiological parameters. Tree Physiology 21: 437–445. , , , .
- 2004. The irregular xylem 2 mutant is an allele of korrigan that affects the secondary cell wall of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 37: 730–740. , , , , , .
- 1998. Plant physiology, 2nd edn. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates, Inc. , .
- 2003. Spatial and temporal effects of free-air CO2 enrichment (POPFACE) on leaf growth, cell expansion, and cell production in a closed canopy of poplar. Plant Physiology 131: 177–185. , , , , , .
- 1969. Semimicro determination of cellulose in biological materials. Analytical Biochemistry 32: 420–424. .
- 1999. Biomass production and carbohydrate content of Arabidopsis thaliana at atmospheric CO2 concentrations from 390 to 1680 ppm. Plant Biology 1: 482–486. , , .
- 2002. Photosynthetic acclimation of young sweet orange trees to elevated growth CO2 and temperature. Journal of Plant Physiology 159: 147–157. , , , , .
- 2004. Chloroplast numbers, mitochondrion numbers and carbon assimilation physiology of Nicotiana sylvertris as affected by CO2 concentration. Environmental and Experimental Botany 51: 21–31. , , .
- 2004. Scaling up evolutionary responses to elevated CO2: lessons from Arabidopsis. Ecology Letters 7: 427–440. , .
- 1997. Effects of low and elevated CO2 partial pressure on growth and reproduction of Arabidopsis thaliana from different elevations. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 254–260. , .
- 2000. Elevated CO2 induces biochemical and ultrastructural changes in leaves of the C4 cereal sorghum. Plant Physiology 123: 1143–1152. , , .
- 1981. Levels of indole-3-acetic acid in intact and decapitated coleoptiles as determined by a specific and highly sensitive solid-phase enzyme immunoassay. Planta 153: 561–571. , , .
- 1998. Integration of photosynthetic acclimation to CO2 at the whole-plant level. Global Change Biology 4: 879–893. , , , .
- 1987. Stomatal numbers are sensitive to increases in CO2 concentration from pre-industrial levels. Nature 327: 617–618. .
- 2002. Potential impacts of global elevated CO2 concentrations on plants. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 207–211. .
- 1995. The influence of CO2 concentration on stomatal density. New Phytologist 131: 311–327. , .
- 2002. Sensitivity of stomatal and canopy conductance to elevated CO2 concentration – interacting variables and perspectives of scale. New Phytologist 153: 485–496. , , , , .
- 2000. Analysis of ash and nutrition elements in plants. In: PaoSD, ed. Soil analysis and agricultural chemistry. Beijing, China: Chinese Agriculture Press, 257–274. , .
- 2001. Effects of plant growth regulators on secondary wall thickening of cotton fibres. Plant Growth Regulation 35: 233–237. , , , .
- 2000. Effects of elevated CO2 and nitrogen nutrition on cytokinins in the xylem sap and leaves of cotton. Plant Physiology 124: 769–779. , , , , .
- 1990. Changes in the concentration of ABA in xylem sap as a function of changing soil-water status can account for changes in leaf conductance and growth. Plant, Cell & Environment 13: 277–285. , .
- 2005. The rice dwarf virus P2 protein interacts with ent-kaurene oxidases in vivo, leading to reduced biosynthesis of gibberellins and rice dwarf symptoms. Plant Physiology 139: 1935–1945. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Effects of doubled-CO2 concentration on ultrastructure, supramolecular architecture and spectral characteristics of chloroplast from wheat. Acta Botanica Sinica 44: 908–912. , , , , .