A test for hydrotropic behavior by roots of two coastal dune shrubs
Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2006
Volume 172, Issue 2, pages 358–368, October 2006
How to Cite
Cole, E. S. and Mahall, B. E. (2006), A test for hydrotropic behavior by roots of two coastal dune shrubs. New Phytologist, 172: 358–368. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01822.x
- Issue online: 19 JUL 2006
- Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2006
- Received: 30 March 2006 Accepted: 18 May 2006
- 1996. Resource heterogeneity generated by shrubs and topography on coastal sand dunes. Vegetatio 122: 83–93. , .
- 2002. Root gravitropism: an experimental tool to investigate basic cellular and molecular processes underlying mechanosensing and signal transmission in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 421–427. , , , .
- 1990. The nature and property of soils. New York, NY, USA: Macmillan. .
- 1999. Sampling spatial and temporal variation in soil nitrogen availability. Oecologia 118: 397–404. , , , .
- 1995. Underground structures of woody plants in Mediterranean ecosystems of Australia, California and Chile. In: Kalin ArroyoM, ZedlerP, FoxM, eds. Ecology and biogeography of Mediterranean ecosystems in Chile, California and Australia. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag, 177–210. , .
- 1993. Orientation of the lateral roots of trees II. Hydrotropic and gravitropic responses of lateral roots of Sitka spruce grown in air at different humidities. New Phytologist 124: 277–281. , .
- 1881. The power of movement in plants. New York, NY, USA: De Capo Press. .
- 2001. Water repellency and critical soil water content in a dune sand. Soil Science Society of America Journal 65: 1667–1674. , , , , .
- 2003. A no hydrotropic response root mutant that responds positively to gravitropism in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 131: 536–546. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Hydrotropism: root growth responses to water. Trends in Plant Science 10: 44–50. , , , , .
- Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI). 1998. ArcView 3.3. help documentation. Redlands, CA, USA: ESRI.
- 1972. Mineral nutrition of plants: principles and perspectives. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley. .
- 1999. Temporal and spatial variation in soil resources in a deciduous woodland. Journal of Ecology 87: 688–696. , .
- 2002. Ionic signaling in plant responses to gravity and touch. Journal of Plant Growth and Regulation 21: 71–88. , , .
- 1995. Spatial variation in nitrogen availability in three successional plant communities. Journal of Ecology 83: 357–367. , , .
- 1991. Ecological processes and plant adaptations on coastal dunes. Journal of Arid Environments 21: 165–191. .
- 1997. Water potential, turgor and cell wall properties in elongating tissues of the hydrotropically bending roots of pea (Pisum sativum L.). Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 381–386. , , , .
- 2004. The plastic plant: root responses to heterogeneous supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 162: 9–24. .
- 1915. Hydrotropism in roots of Lupinus albus. Annals of Botany 29: 265–283. .
- 1994. Foraging in plants: the role of morphological plasticity in resource acquisition. Advances in Ecological Research 25: 160–238. , .
- 1990. Phototropism: mechanisms and ecological implications. Plant, Cell & Environment 13: 633–650. .
- 1993. The scale of nutrient heterogeneity around individual plants and its quantification with geostatistics. Ecology (Notes and Comments) 74: 612–614. , .
- 1985. A pea mutant for the study of hydrotropism in roots. Science 230: 445–447. , , .
- 1979. Water and salinity relations of California beach species. Journal of Ecology 67: 647–663. .
- 2005. Plant phenotypic plasticity belowground: a phylogenetic perspective on root foraging trade-offs. American Naturalist 166: 216–230. ,
- 1936. Hydrotropic responses of roots in soil. Botanical Gazette 97: 728–743. , .
- 1991. Root communication among desert shrubs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 88: 874–876. , .
- 2000. Biomechanical study on the interactions of roots with gas and water pipelines for the evaluation of tree sites. Arboricultural Journal 23: 343–377. , .
- 1965. Extended tables of the Wilcoxon matched pair signed rank statistics. Journal of the American Statistical Association 60: 864–871. .
- 1994. Root-soil responses to water pulses in dry environments. In: CaldwellMM, PearcyRW, eds. Exploitation of environmental heterogeneity by plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 285–304. .
- 1992. Influence of rocks on soil temperature, soil water potential, and rooting patterns for desert succulents. Oecologia 92: 90–96. , , .
- 2000. Heterogeneity in water availability alters cellular development and hydraulic conductivity along roots of a desert succulent. Annals of Botany 85: 247–255. , .
- 1993. Species dynamics and nutrient accumulation during early succession in coastal sand dunes. Journal of Ecology 81: 693–706. , , .
- 1995. Interactions between hydrotropism and gravitropism in the primary seminal roots of Triticum aestivum L. Annals of Botany 75: 229–235. , , .
- Paso Robles City. 2002. Tree roots vs. sewer lines. Retrieved February 22, 2006, from the Paso Robles City website: [http://www.prcity.com/government/departments/publicworks/wastewater/root-growth.asp.]
- 1936. Studies of certain coastal sand dune plants of Southern California. Ecological Monographs 6: 1–87. .
- 2002. Experimental design and data analysis for biologists. Cambridge: UK. Cambridge University Press, 46–48. , .
- 1994. How water moves in a water repellent sandy soil 2. Dynamics of fingered flow. Water Resources Research 30: 2519–2531. , .
- 1994. The responses of plants to non-uniform supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 127: 635–674. .
- 1991. Plant gravity sensing. International Review of Cytology 127: 193–252. .
- 1952. Downs and dunes. London, UK: G. Bell. .
- 1996. On the spatial pattern of soil nutrients in desert ecosystems. Ecology 77: 364–374. , , , .
- 1993. The Ortho home gardener's problem solver. San Ramon, CA, USA: The Solaris Group, 126. .
- 1989. Statistical methods, 8th edn. Ames, IA, USA: Iowa State University Press. , .
- 1983. Growth and spatial distribution of nutrient-absorbing organs: selective exploitation of soil heterogeneity. Plant and Soil 71: 487–493. , , .
- 1994. Causes of soil nutrient heterogeneity at different scales. In: CaldwellMM, PearcyRW, eds. Exploitation of environmental heterogeneity by plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 255–284. .
- Sydney Water. 2001. Keeping plant roots out of your sewer pipes: beware the hidden intruder! Retrieved April 21, 2004, from the Sydney Water website: [http://wwwsydneywater.com.au/html/majorprojects/sewerfix/pr.pdf.]
- 1994. Hydrotropism and its interaction with gravitropism in roots. Plant and Soil 165: 301–308. .
- 1997. Hydrotropism: the current state of our knowledge. Journal of Plant Research 110: 163–169. .
- 1999. A spaceflight experiment for the study of gravimorphogenesis and hydrotropism in cucumber seedlings. Journal of Plant Research 112: 497–505. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Hydrotropism and its interaction with gravitropism in maize roots. Plant Physiology 96: 558–564. , .
- 1993. Intensity of hydrostimulation for the induction of root hydrotropism and its sensing by the root cap. Plant, Cell & Environment 16: 99–103. , .
- 1991. Root hydrotropism of an agravitropic pea mutant, ageotropum. Physiologia Plantarum 82: 24–31. , .
- 1996. Induction of hydrotropism in clinorotated seedling roots of Alaska pea, Pisum sativum L. Journal of Plant Research 109: 335–337. , , , , .
- 2002. Hydrotropism in abscisic acid, wavy and gravitropic mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta 216: 213–211. , , , .
- 2003. Hydrotropism interacts with gravitropism by degrading amyloplasts in seedling roots of Arabidopsis and radish. Plant Physiology 132: 805–810. , , , , .
- 1995. Hydrotropism in roots: sensing of a gradient in water potential by the root cap. Planta 197: 410–413. , , , .
- 2003. Roots of Pisum sativum L. exhibit hydrotropism in response to a water potential gradient in vermiculite. Annals of Botany 92: 767–770. , , , , .
- 2003. Effect of hydrotropism on root system development in soybean (Glycine max): growth experiments and a model simulation. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 21: 441–458. , , .
- 1995. Water acquisition and rooting characteristics in Northern and Southern Populations of Gutierrezia sarothrae. Environmental and Experimental Botany 35: 1–7. , , .
- 1919. The ecological relations of roots. Washington DC, USA: Carnegie Institution of Washington. .
- 1997. Spatial and temporal variability of water percolation and movement in a system of longitudinal dunes, Western Negev, Israel. Hydrological Processes 11: 43–58. , , .
- 2002. Influence of groundwater depth on the seasonal sources of water accessed by Banksia tree species on a shallow, sandy coastal aquifer. Oecologia 131: 8–19. , , , .