Canopy CO2 enrichment permits tracing the fate of recently assimilated carbon in a mature deciduous forest
Article first published online: 19 JUL 2006
Volume 172, Issue 2, pages 319–329, October 2006
How to Cite
Keel, S. G., Siegwolf, R. T. W. and Körner, C. (2006), Canopy CO2 enrichment permits tracing the fate of recently assimilated carbon in a mature deciduous forest. New Phytologist, 172: 319–329. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01831.x
- Issue published online: 19 JUL 2006
- Article first published online: 19 JUL 2006
- Received: 17 February 2006 Accepted: 24 May 2006
- 2005. Estimating ‘autotrophic’ belowground respiration in spruce and beech forests: decreases following girdling. European Journal of Forest Research 124: 155–163. , , , , .
- 1999. Separation of root respiration from total soil respiration using carbon-13 labeling during Free-Air Carbon Dioxide Enrichment (FACE). Soil Science Society of America Journal 63: 1429–1435. , , , .
- 2006. Growth and phenology of mature temperate forest trees in elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 12: 848–861. , , .
- 2005. Variation in the degree of coupling between δ13C of phloem sap and ecosystem respiration in two mature Nothofagus forests. New Phytologist 166: 497–512. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Tree root and soil heterotrophic respiration as revealed by girdling of boreal Scots pine forest: extending observations beyond the first year. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1287–1296. , , , , .
- 1998. Genetic structure of a natural population of the ectomycorrhizal fungus Suillus pungens. New Phytologist 138: 533–542. , , .
- 2002. C-13 content of ecosystem respiration is linked to precipitation and vapor pressure deficit. Oecologia 131: 113–124. , , , , .
- 1996. Carbon isotope composition of C4 grasses is influenced by light and water supply. Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 392–402. , , , .
- 1998. Hydraulic lift: consequences of water efflux from the roots of plants. Oecologia 113: 151–161. , , .
- 2003. Elevated CO2 reduces sap flux in mature deciduous forest trees. Oecologia 137: 258–268. , , .
- 2001. Natural abundance of C-13 in CO2 respired from forest soils reveals speed of link between tree photosynthesis and root respiration. Oecologia 127: 305–308. , .
- 2001. Elevated atmospheric CO2 alters root symbiont community structure in forest trees. New Phytologist 152: 431–442. , , .
- 2001. The age of fine-root carbon in three forests of the eastern United States measured by radiocarbon. Oecologia 129: 420–429. , , , , , .
- 2003. Enzyme production by Mycena galopus mycelium in artificial media and in Picea sitchensis F1 horizon needle litter. Mycological Research 107: 996–1008. , , , .
- 2003. The input and fate of new C in two forest soils under elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 9: 862–872. , , , , .
- 1990. The fate and path of assimilation products in the stem of 8-year-old Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) trees. Trees – Structure and Function 4: 16–21. , .
- 1994. Seasonal-changes in the utilization and turnover of assimilation products in 8-year-old Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) trees. Trees – Structure and Function 8: 172–182. , .
- 2005. Rising atmospheric CO2 reduces sequestration of root-derived soil carbon. Science 309: 1711–1713. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Production and stable isotopic composition of CO2 in a soil near Bern, Switzerland. Tellus Series B – Chemical and Physical Meteorology 43: 197–205. , .
- 2002. Using radiocarbon to determine the mycorrhizal status of fungi. New Phytologist 156: 129–136. , , , .
- 2003. Non-structural carbon compounds in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment. 26: 1067– 1081. , , .
- 1999. Natural C-13 abundance reveals trophic status of fungi and host-origin of carbon in mycorrhizal fungi in mixed forests. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 8534–8539. , , , .
- 2001. Large-scale forest girdling shows that current photosynthesis drives soil respiration. Nature 411: 789–792. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Carbon allocation between tree root growth and root respiration in boreal pine forest. Oecologia 132: 579–581. , , .
- 1994. C-14 allocation in tree soil systems. Tree Physiology 14: 1163–1176. , , .
- 1996. Detecting changes in soil carbon in CO2 enrichment experiments. Plant and Soil 187: 135–145. , , , .
- 2005. Elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide increases soil carbon. Global Change Biology 11: 2057–2064. , , , , , , .
- 2002. In situ (CO2) C-13 pulse-labelling of upland grassland demonstrates a rapid pathway of carbon flux from arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelia to the soil. New Phytologist 153: 327–334. , , , , .
- 1958. The concentration and isotopic abundances of atmospheric carbon dioxide in rural areas. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 13: 322–334. .
- 2004. A multiyear synthesis of soil respiration responses to elevated atmospheric CO2 from four forest FACE experiments. Global Change Biology 10: 1027–1042. , , , , , .
- 2003. Carbon limitation in trees. Journal of Ecology 91: 4–17. .
- 1992. Responses to elevated carbon dioxide in artificial tropical ecosystems. Science 257: 1672–1675. , .
- 2005. Carbon flux and growth in mature deciduous forest trees exposed to elevated CO2. Science 309: 1360–1362. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Responses of deciduous forest trees to severe drought in Central Europe. Tree Physiology 25: 641–650. , , , .
- 2005. Soil carbon sequestration and turnover in a pine forest after six years of atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Ecology 86: 1835–1847. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Validity of extrapolating field CO2 experiments to predict carbon sequestration in natural ecosystems. Ecology 80: 1568–1583. , .
- 2003. Impacts of fine root turnover on forest NPP and soil C sequestration potential. Science 302: 1385–1387. , , , , .
- 1979. Seasonal-changes in within-canopy allocation of photosynthate-14C by White Oak. Forest Science 25: 361–370. , , .
- 1999. Photosynthesis and stomatal conductance of mature canopy Oak (Quercus robur) and Sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) trees throughout the growing season. Functional Ecology 13: 332–342. , .
- 2004. Soil CO2 efflux in a boreal pine forest under atmospheric CO2 enrichment and air warming. Global Change Biology 10: 1363–1376. , , .
- 2004. Fine-root production dominates response of a deciduous forest to atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 9689–9693. , , , , .
- 2003. Tracing changes in ecosystem function under elevated carbon dioxide conditions. Bioscience 53: 805–818. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. δ13C analysis of phloem sap carbon: novel means of evaluating seasonal water stress and interpreting carbon isotope signatures of foliage and trunk wood of Eucalyptus globulus. Oecologia 117: 301–311. , .
- 2002. Web-FACE: a new canopy free-air CO2 enrichment system for tall trees in mature forests. Oecologia 133: 1–9. , .
- 2005. Patterns of rhizosphere carbon flux in sugar maple (Acer saccharum) and yellow birch (Betula allegheniensis) saplings. Global Change Biology 11: 983–995. , .
- 2006. Construction costs, chemical composition and payback time of high- and low-irradiance leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 355–371. , , , , , .
- R Development Core Team. 2004. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org
- 2004. Carbon isotope discrimination indicates improving water-use efficiency of trees in northern Eurasia over the last 100 years. Global Change Biology 10: 2109–2120. , , .
- 2004. Comparisons of δ13C of photosynthetic products and ecosystem respiratory CO2 and their response to seasonal climate variability. Oecologia 140: 340–351. , , , , , .
- 2003. Rapid turnover of hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi determined by AMS microanalysis of 14C. Science 300: 1138–1140. , , , , .
- 2004. Carbon fluxes to the soil in a mature temperate forest assessed by C-13 isotope tracing. Oecologia 141: 489–501. , , , .
- 2005. Tree photosynthesis modulates soil respiration on a diurnal time scale. Global Change Biology 11: 1298–1304. , , .
- 2006. An ecosystem-scale radiocarbon tracer to test use of litter carbon by ectomycorrhizal fungi. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38: 1077–1082. , , .
- 2000. Age of soil organic matter and soil respiration: radiocarbon constraints on belowground C dynamics. Ecological Applications 10: 399–411. .
- 2000. Elevated atmospheric CO2, fine roots and the response of soil microorganisms: a review and hypothesis. New Phytologist 147: 201–222. , , , .