Does the enhanced tolerance of arbuscular mycorrhizal plants to water deficit involve modulation of drought-induced plant genes?
Version of Record online: 8 AUG 2006
Volume 171, Issue 4, pages 693–698, September 2006
How to Cite
Ruiz-Lozano, J. M., Porcel, R. and Aroca, R. (2006), Does the enhanced tolerance of arbuscular mycorrhizal plants to water deficit involve modulation of drought-induced plant genes?. New Phytologist, 171: 693–698. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01841.x
- Issue online: 8 AUG 2006
- Version of Record online: 8 AUG 2006
- 2003. Light-dependent induction of proline biosynthesis by abscisic acid and salt stress is inhibited by brassinosteroid in Arabidopsis. Plant Molecular Biology 51: 363–372. , , , , , .
- 2003. Overexpression of a plasma membrane aquaporin in transgenic tobacco improves plant vigour under favourable growth conditions but not under drought or salt stress. Plant Cell 15: 439–447. , , , , , .
- 2004. Transcriptional regulation of proline biosynthesis in Medicago truncatula reveals developmental and environmental specific features. Physiologia Plantarum 120: 442–450. , , , , .
- 2001. Water relations, drought and vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis. Mycorrhiza 11: 3–42. .
- 1996. Physiological and nutritional responses by Lactuca sativa to nitrogen sources and mycorrhizal fungi under drought. Biology and Fertility of Soils 22: 156–161. , , .
- 2004. HVA1, a LEA gene from barley confers dehydration tolerance in transgenic rice (Oryza sativa L.) via cell membrane protection. Plant Science 166: 855–862. , , , , , .
- 2004. Genes commonly regulated by water-deficit stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2331–2341. .
- 1996. Dehydrins: emergence of a biochemical role of a family of plant dehydration proteins. Physiologia Plantarum 97: 795–803. .
- 2003. Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi influence water relations, gas exchange, abscisic acid and growth of micropropagated chile ancho pepper (Capsicum annuum) plantlets during acclimatization and post-acclimatization. Journal of Plant Physiology 160: 7073–1083. , .
- 1999. Expression of a dehydrin gene during embryo development and drought stress in ABA-deficient mutants of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.). Plant Molecular Biology 39: 739–748. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Gas exchange is related to the hormone balance in mycorrhizal or nitrogen-fixing alfalfa subjected to drought. Physiologia Plantarum 100: 989–997. , , .
- 1998. Influence of arbuscular mycorrhizae and Rhizobium on free polyamines and proline levels in water-stressed alfalfa. Journal of Plant Physiology 153: 706–711. , , , , .
- 1992. A bifunctional enzyme (Δ1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase) catalyzes the first two steps in proline biosynthesis in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 9354–9358. , , .
- 1996. A lea-class gene of tomato confers salt and freezing tolerance when over expressed in Saccharomyces cerevisisae. Gene 170: 243–248. .
- 2002. The role of aquaporins in root water uptake. Annals of Botany 90: 301–313. , .
- 2003. The binding of maize DHN1 to lipid vesicles. Gain of structure and lipid specificity. Plant Physiology 131: 309–316. , , , .
- 1997. Water Relations of Plants and Soils. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2005. Aquaporins in a challenging environment: molecular gears for adjusting plant water status. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 85–96. , .
- 2003. Contribution of six arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal isolates to water uptake by Lactuca sativa L. plants under drought stress. Physiologia Plantarum 119: 526–533. , , .
- 1997. Aquaporins and water permeability of plant membranes. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 399–429. .
- 1984. Osmoregulation and water stress in higher plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 299–319. .
- 2006. Analysis of expression of aquaporins and Na+/H+ transporters in tomato colonized by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and affected by salt stress. Environmental and Experimental Botany 57: 177–186. , , , , .
- 2004. Transgenic tobacco plants accumulating osmolytes show reduced oxidative damage under freezing stress. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 42: 57–63. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Arbuscular mycorrhizal influence on leaf water potential, solute accumulation and oxidative stress in soybean plants subjected to drought stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1743–1750. , .
- 2004. Evaluation of the role of genes encoding for Δ1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase (P5CS) during drought stress in arbuscular mycorrhizal Glycine max and Lactuca sativa plants. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 65: 211–221. , , .
- 2005a. Evaluation of the role of genes encoding for dehydrin proteins (LEA D-11) during drought stress in arbuscular mycorrhizal Glycine max and Lactuca sativa plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 1933–1942. , , .
- 2005b. Impairment of NtAQP1 gene expression in tobacco plants does not affect root colonization pattern by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi but decreases their symbiotic efficiency under drought. Mycorrhiza 15: 417–423. , , , .
- 2006. PIP aquaporin gene expression in arbuscular mycorrhizal Glycine max and Lactuca sativa plants in relation to drought stress tolerance. Plant Molecular Biology 60: 389–404. , , , .
- 1988. Influence of the VAM fungus Glomus caledonius on free proline accumulation in water-stressed maize. Current Science 57: 1082–1084. , , .
- 2003. Arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis and alleviation of osmotic stress. New perspectives for molecular studies. Mycorrhiza 13: 309–317. .
- 1995. Effects of arbuscular mycorrhizal Glomus species on drought tolerance: physiological and nutritional plant responses. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 61: 456–460. , , .
- 1996. Alleviation of salt stress by arbuscular–mycorrhizal Glomus species in Lactuca sativa plants. Physiologia Plantarum 98: 767–772. , , .
- 2002. PIP1 plasma membrane aquaporins in tobacco: from cellular effects to function in plants. Plant Cell 14: 869–876. , , , , .
- 2001. Mip genes are down-regulated under drought stress in Nicotiana glauca. Plant and Cell Physiology 42: 686–693. , , , .
- 1995. Correlation between the induction of a gene for Δ1-pyrroline-5- carboxylate synthetase and the accumulation of proline in Arabidopsis thaliana under osmotic stress. Plant Journal 7: 751–760. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Molecular aspects of osmotic stress in plants. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 16: 253–277. , , .