Hydrogen exchange during cellulose synthesis distinguishes climatic and biochemical isotope fractionations in tree rings
Article first published online: 26 JUL 2006
Volume 172, Issue 3, pages 490–499, November 2006
How to Cite
Augusti, A., Betson, T. R. and Schleucher, J. (2006), Hydrogen exchange during cellulose synthesis distinguishes climatic and biochemical isotope fractionations in tree rings. New Phytologist, 172: 490–499. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01843.x
- Issue published online: 26 JUL 2006
- Article first published online: 26 JUL 2006
- Received: 12 April 2006 Accepted: 13 June 2006
- 2000. Variation in the oxygen isotope ratio of phloem sap sucrose from castor bean. Evidence in support of the Péclet effect. Plant Physiology 123: 671–679. , , , , .
- 2004. Large-scale temperature inferences from tree rings: a review. Global and Planetary Change 40: 11–26. , , .
- 1965. Deuterium and oxygen-18 variations in the ocean and the marine atmosphere. In: TongiorgiE, ed. Proceedings of a Conference on Stable Isotopes in Oceanographic Studies and Paleotemperatures. Spoleto, Italy: Lischi & Figli Publishers, 9–130. , .
- 1964. Stable isotopes in precipitation. Tellus 16: 436–468. .
- 1992. Water-uptake by plants – perspectives from stable isotope composition. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 1073–1082. , .
- 1989. Stable isotopes. In: PearcyRW, EhleringerJR, MooneyHA, RundelPW, eds. Plant physiological ecology. Field methods and instrumentation. London, UK: Chapman & Hall, 281–300. , .
- 1981. Stable hydrogen fractionations during autotrophic and mixotrophic growth of microalgae. Plant Physiology 67: 474–477. , .
- 1998. Interpretation of oxygen isotope composition of leaf material. In: GriffithsH, ed. Stable isotopes – integration of biology, ecological and geochemical processes. Oxford, UK: Bios Scientific Publishers, 27–62. , , .
- 1975. Interpretations of enzyme reaction stereospecificity. Accounts of Chemical Research 8: 1–10. , .
- 1998. Extractable activities and protein content of sucrose-phosphate synthase, sucrose synthase and neutral invertase in trunk tissues of Robinia pseudoacacia L. are related to cambial wood production and heartwood formation. Planta 207: 266–274. , .
- 1995. Rapid recycling of triose phosphates in oak stem tissue. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 931–936. , , , , .
- 2000. The role of inorganic phosphate in the development of freezing tolerance and the acclimatization of photosynthesis to low temperature is revealed by the pho mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 24: 383–396. , , , .
- 2005. Long-term sensitivity of soil carbon turnover to warming. Nature 433: 298–301. , , , .
- 2005. Cryogenically cooled probes – a leap in NMR technology. Progress in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy 46: 131–155. , , .
- 2004. Rising atmospheric carbon dioxide: Plants FACE the Future. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 591–628. , , , .
- 1992. Hydrogen and oxygen isotopic fractionation during heterotrophic cellulose synthesis. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 47–50. , .
- 2001. Non-structural carbohydrates and catalytic activities of sucrose metabolizing enzymes in trunks of two Juglans species and their role in heartwood formation. Holzforschung 55: 135–145. , , .
- 1992. Site-specific natural isotope fractionation of hydrogen in plant products studied by nuclear magnetic resonance. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 1037–1050. , , .
- 2004. Stable isotopes in tree rings. Quaternary Science Reviewss 23: 771–801. , .
- 1980. Reaction Rates of Isotopic Molecules. New York, USA: Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken. , .
- 2004. Functional responses of plants to elevated atmospheric CO2– Do photosynthetic and productivity data from FACE experiments support early predictions? New Phytologist 162: 253–280. , , .
- 2000. Influence of precipitation seasonality on piñon pine cellulose δD values. Global Change Biology 6: 287–301. .
- 1999. Hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios of tree-ring cellulose for riparian trees grown long-term under hydroponically controlled environments. Oecologia 121: 467–477. , .
- 2000. Hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios of tree-ring cellulose for field grown riparian trees. Oecologia 123: 481–489. , .
- 2000. A mechanistic model for interpretation of hydrogen and oxygen ratios in tree-ring of cellulose. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 64: 21–35. , , .
- 1945. Quantitative saccharification of wood and cellulose. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 17: 35–37. , , .
- 1998. Intramolecular deuterium distributions and plant growth conditions. In: GriffithsH, ed. Stable isotopes – integration of biology, ecological and geochemical processes. Oxford, UK: Bios Scientific Publishers, 63–73. .
- 1999. Intramolecular deuterium distributions reveal disequilibrium of chloroplast phosphoglucose isomerase. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 525–534. , , , .
- 1998. Export of carbon from chloroplasts at night. Plant Physiology 118: 1439–1445. , , .
- 2003. Fundamentals and systematics of the non-statistical distributions of isotopes in natural compounds. Naturwissenschaften 90: 537–552. .
- 1996. Tree Rings and Environmental Dendroecology. Berne, Switzerland: Haupt Verlag AG. .
- 1993. Wood polysaccharides. In: Wood chemistry, fundamentals and applications. San Diego, USA: Academic Press, 51–70. .
- 2003. Separating soil and leaf water O-18 isotopic signals in plant stem cellulose. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 67: 2561–2566. , , .
- 1995. Hydrogen isotope fractionation in wood-producing avocado seedlings: biological constraints to paleoclimatic interpretations of delta D values in tree ring cellulose. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 59: 5199–5207. , .
- 2001. Function and dynamics of auxin and carbohydrates during earlywood/latewood transition in Scots Pine. Plant Physiology 125: 2029–2039. , , , .
- 2002. Oxygen and hydrogen isotope ratios in tree rings: how well do models predict observed values? Earth and Planetary Science Letters 201: 421–430. , , , , .
- 1966. Hydrogen isotope fractionation in water passing through trees. In: HobsonGD, ed. Advances in organic geochemistry. Proceedings of the Third International Congress. New York, USA: Pergamon, 55–67. , , , .
- 1985. The D/H ratios of sap in trees: Implications for water sources and tree ring D/H ratios. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 49: 237–246. , , , .
- 1990. Oxygen and hydrogen isotope fractionation during cellulose metabolism in Lemna gibba L. Plant Physiology 93: 325–332. , .