Leaf carbohydrate controls over Arabidopsis growth and response to elevated CO2: an experimentally based model
Article first published online: 11 AUG 2006
Volume 172, Issue 3, pages 500–513, November 2006
How to Cite
Rasse, D. P. and Tocquin, P. (2006), Leaf carbohydrate controls over Arabidopsis growth and response to elevated CO2: an experimentally based model. New Phytologist, 172: 500–513. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01848.x
- Issue published online: 11 AUG 2006
- Article first published online: 11 AUG 2006
- Received: 6 April 2006 Accepted: 16 June 2006
- 2004. Changes of soluble protein expression and leaf metabolite levels in Arabidopsis thaliana grown in elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide. Field Crops Research 90: 61–73. , .
- 1999. Simulation model for maize crop growth based on acquisition and allocation processes for carbohydrate and nitrogen. Ecological Modelling 124: 11–28. , , .
- 1981. Some relationships between the biochemistry of photosynthesis and the gas exchange rates of leaves. Planta 153: 376–387. , .
- 1985. Alterations in growth, photosynthesis and respiration in a starchless mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) deficient in chloroplast phosphoglucomutase activity. Plant Physiology 79: 11–17. , , .
- 1991. Mutants of Arabidopsis with altered regulation of starch degradation. Plant Physiology 95: 1181–1188. , , , , , .
- 1998. Effects of short- and long-term elevated CO2 on the expression of ribulose-1,5-bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase genes and carbohydrate accumulation in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Plant Physiology 116: 715–723. , , .
- 2001. Carbon and nitrogen sensing and signaling in plants: emerging ‘matrix effects’. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 247–253. , .
- 1998. A meta-analysis of elevated CO2 effects on woody plant mass, form, and physiology. Oecologia 113: 299–313. , .
- 1998. A mechanistic analysis of light and carbon use efficiencies. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 573–588. , , .
- 2003. The effect of elevated CO2 on plants: photosynthesis, transpiration, primary productivity and biodiversity. Advances in Applied Biodiversity Science 4: 53–59. , .
- 1997. More efficient plants: a consequence of rising atmospheric CO2? Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 609–639. , , .
- 1994. CO2 uptake and electron transport rates in wild-type and a starchless mutant of Nicotiana sylvestris. Plant Physiology 106: 679–687. , .
- 1998. Modelling of allocation and balance of carbon in walnut (Juglans regia L.) seedlings during heterotrophy–autotrophy transition. Journal of Theoretical Biology 194: 29–47. , , , , .
- 1980. A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78–90. , , .
- 1999. The nitrate and ammonium nitrate supply have a major influence on the response of photosynthesis, carbon metabolism, nitrogen metabolism and growth to elevated carbon dioxide in tobacco. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 1177–1199. , , , , .
- 2000. Role of starch in carbon translocation and partitioning at the plant level. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 571–582. , , .
- 1997. Maximal biomass of Arabidopsis thaliana using a simple, low-maintenance hydroponic method and favorable environmental conditions. Plant Physiology 115: 317–319. , , , .
- 2001. Growth, cell walls, and UDP-Glc dehydrogenase activity of Arabidopsis thaliana grown in elevated carbon dioxide. Journal of Plant Physiology 158: 569–576. , , .
- 2004. Adjustment of diurnal starch turnover to short days: depletion of sugar during the night leads to a temporary inhibition of carbohydrate utilization, accumulation of sugars and post-translational activation of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase in the following light period. Plant Journal 39: 847–862. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Assimilate export by leaves of Ricinus communis L. growing under normal and elevated carbon dioxide concentrations: the same rate during the day, a different rate at night. Planta 209: 275–281. , .
- 2002. Efficient dry matter production at the vegetative stage because of low maintenance respiration rate among rice varieties. Japanese Journal of Crop Science 71: 110–115. , , .
- 2001. Atmospheric CO2 concentration does not directly affect leaf respiration in bean or poplar. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 1139–1151. .
- 1997. Hexokinase as a sugar sensor in higher plants. Plant Cell 9: 5–19. , , .
- 1979. An enzymic microassay for starch. Plant, Cell & Environment 2: 227–234. .
- 1996. Carbohydrate-modulated gene expression in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 47: 509–540. .
- 2000. Molecular characterisation of a new mutant allele of the plastid phosphoglucomutase in Arabidopsis, and complementation of the mutant with the wild-type cDNA. Molecular and General Genetics 263: 978–986. , , , , , .
- 1993. Regulation of the expression of rbcS and other photosynthetic genes by carbohydrates: a mechanism for the ‘sink regulation’ of photosynthesis? Plant Journal 3: 817–828. , , , .
- 2005. Leaf starch degradation comes out of the shadows. Trends in Plant Science 10: 1360–1385. , , .
- 1998. The role of transient starch in acclimation to elevated atmospheric CO2. FEBS Letters 429: 147–151. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Photosynthesis and plant growth at elevated levels of CO2. Plant and Cell Physiology 40: 999–1006. , .
- 1998. Sucrose cycling, rubisco expression, and prediction of photosynthetic acclimation to elevated atmospheric CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 905–915. , , , .
- 1999. The biochemical and molecular basis for photosynthetic acclimation to elevated atmospheric CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 567–582. , , , .
- 2004. Functional responses of plants to elevated atmospheric CO2– do photosynthetic and productivity data from FACE experiments support early predictions? New Phytologist 162: 253–280. , , .
- 2000. Maintenance respiration correlates with sugar but not nitrogen concentration in dormant plants. Physiologia Plantarum 108: 295–299. .
- 1997. Rapid and straightforward estimates of photosynthetic characteristics using a portable gas exchange system. Photosynthetica 34: 265–279. , , , .
- 2001. Sink regulation of photosynthesis. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1383–1400. , .
- 1997. Elevated atmospheric CO2 differentially affects needle chloroplast ultrastructure and phloem anatomy in Pinus palustris: Interactions with soil resource availability. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 461–471. , , , .
- 1997. Simple scaling of photosynthesis from leaves to canopies without the errors of big-leaf models. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 537–557. , .
- 2001. Modelling short-term CO2 fluxes and long-term tree growth in temperate forests with ASPECTS. Ecological Modelling 141: 35–52. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Seventeen years of elevated CO2 exposure in a Chesapeake Bay Wetland: sustained but contrasting responses of plant growth and CO2 uptake. Global Change Biology 11: 369–377. , , .
- 1991. Effects of climate change on plant respiration. Ecological Applications 1: 157–167. .
- 1996. Foliage, fine-root, woody-tissue and stand respiration in Pinus radiata in relation to nitrogen status. Tree Physiology 16: 333–343. , , , , .
- 2001. The mechanism to suppress photosynthesis through end-product inhibition in single-rooted soybean leaves during acclimation to CO2 enrichment. Plant and Cell Physiology 42: 1093–1102. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. A quantification of the significance of assimilatory starch for growth of Arabidopsis thaliana L. Heynh. Plant Physiology 95: 890–895. , , , , .
- 2004. Engineering plants for elevated CO2: a relationship between starch degradation and sugar sensing. Plant Biology 6: 280–288. , , , , .
- 1998. Importance of leaf versus whole plant CO2 environment for photosynthetic acclimation. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 1189–1196. , , .
- 1991. Rising CO2 levels and their potential significance for carbon flow in photosynthetic cells. Plant, Cell & Environment 14: 741–762. .
- 1996. Metabolic regulation of photosynthesis. In: BakerNR, ed. Photosynthesis and the Environment. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic, 635–640. .
- 1999. Modification of carbon partitioning, photosynthetic capacity, and O2 sensitivity in Arabidopsis plants with low ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase activity. Plant Physiology 119: 267–276. , , .
- 2002. Interactions of nitrate and CO2 enrichment on growth, carbohydrates, and rubisco in Arabidopsis starch mutants. Significance of starch and hexose. Plant Physiology 130: 1573–1583. , , , , .
- 2004. mapman: a user-driven tool to display genomics data sets onto diagrams of metabolic pathways and other biological processes. Plant Journal 37: 914–939. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Design of a versatile device for measuring whole plant gas exchanges in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 162: 223–230. , .
- 2003. A novel high efficiency, low maintenance, hydroponic system for synchronous growth and flowering of Arabidopsis thaliana. BMC Plant Biology 3: 2. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Acclimation of Arabidopsis thaliana to long-term CO2 enrichment and nitrogen supply is basically a matter of growth rate adjustment. Physiologia Plantarum. (In press.) , , , , , .
- 1994. A mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana lacking the ability to transport glucose across the chloroplast envelope. Biochemical Journal 301: 449–454. , .
- 1999. Biomass production and carbohydrate content of Arabidopsis thaliana at atmospheric CO2 concentrations from 390 to 1680 µl l−1. Plant Biology 1: 482–486. , , .
- 1996. Impact of elevated CO2 on growth and development of Arabidopsis thaliana L. Phyton – Annales Rei Botanicae 36: 173–184. , .
- 2005. Foliar respiration acclimation to temperature and temperature variable Q10 alter ecosystem carbon balance. Global Change Biology 11: 435–449. , , , .
- 2005. Modelling plant resource allocation and growth partitioning in response to environmental heterogeneity. Ecological Modelling 181: 59–77. , .
- 2001. The Arabidopsis sex1 mutant is defective in the R1 protein, a general regulator of starch degradation in plants, and not in the chloroplast hexose transporter. Plant Cell 13: 1907–1918. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Changes in carbohydrate metabolism and assimilate export in starch-excess mutants of Arabidopsis. Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 1445–1453. , .
- 1998. A starch- accumulating mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana deficient in a chloroplastic starch-hydrolysing enzyme. Plant Journal 15: 357–365. , , , .
- 2004. The breakdown of starch in leaves. New Phytologist 163: 247–261. , , .
- 2004. Leaf and canopy photosynthetic characteristics of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) under elevated CO2 concentration and UV-B radiation. Journal of Plant Physiology 161: 581–590. , , , , , .