Crown development in a pioneer tree, Rhus trichocarpa, in relation to the structure and growth of individual branches
Version of Record online: 9 AUG 2006
Volume 172, Issue 4, pages 667–678, December 2006
How to Cite
Osada, N. (2006), Crown development in a pioneer tree, Rhus trichocarpa, in relation to the structure and growth of individual branches. New Phytologist, 172: 667–678. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01857.x
- Issue online: 9 AUG 2006
- Version of Record online: 9 AUG 2006
- Received: 23 April 2006 Accepted: 29 June 2006
- 1998. Leaf size, sapling allometry, and Corner's rules: a phylogenetic study of correlated evolution in maples (Acer). American Naturalist 152: 767–791. , .
- 1997. Crown architecture and life-history traits of 14 tree species in a warm-temperate rain forest: significance of spatial heterogeneity. Journal of Ecology 85: 611–624. , .
- 1991. Plant form: an illustrated guide to flowering plant morphology. New York: Oxford University Press. .
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate – a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society B 57: 289–300. , .
- 1989. Size-dependent differential scaling in branches: the mechanical design of trees revisited. Trees 4: 241–253. .
- 1998. Architecture and development of rainforest trees: responses to light variation. In: NewberyDM, BrownN, PrinsHHT, eds. Dynamics of tropical communities. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific, 125–162. , .
- 1998. Corner's rules revisited: ontogenetic and interspecific patterns in leaf–stem allometry. New Phytologist 139: 459–470. , , , .
- 2000. Changes in drought response strategies with ontogeny in Quercus rubra: implications for scaling from seedlings to mature trees. Oecologia 124: 8–18. , .
- 2002. Growth and crown morphological responses of boreal conifer seedlings and sapling with contrasting shade tolerance to a gradient of light and height. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32: 458–468. , , , .
- 2005. Interacting influence of light and size on aboveground biomass distribution in sub-boreal conifer saplings with contrasting shade tolerance. Tree Physiology 25: 373–384. , , .
- 1949. The durian theory or the origin of the modern tree. Annals of Botany 13: 368–414. .
- 2004. Physiological, morphological and allocational plasticity in understory deciduous trees: importance of plant size and light availability. Tree Physiology 24: 775–784. , , , .
- 2004. Escaping the Bonferroni iron claw in ecological studies. Oikos 105: 657–663. .
- 1988. Adaptation to sun and shade: a whole-plant perspective. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 15: 63–92. .
- 2005. Functional–structural plant modeling. New Phytologist 166: 705–708. , .
- 1989. Canopies as populations. In: RussellG, MarshallB, JarvisPG, eds. Plant canopies: their growth, form and function. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 105–128. .
- 2001. Differential shading of branches or whole trees: survival, growth, and reproduction. Oecologia 126: 482–486. .
- 1987. The influence of neighbours on the growth of trees. I. The demography of buds in Betula pendula. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 232: 1–18. , .
- 1998. The role of Rhus trichocarpa Miq. patches in pine forest dynamics in Japan. Journal of Sustainable Forestry 6: 175–186. , , , .
- 2002. Light environment and crown architecture of two temperate Vaccinium species: inherent growth rules versus degree of plasticity in light response. Canadian Journal of Botany 80: 1063–1077. , .
- 2004. Rules of crown development in the clonal shrub Vaccinium hirtum in a low-light understory: a quantitative analysis of architecture. Canadian Journal of Botany 82: 329–339. , .
- 2003. Phenological and morphological adaptations to the light environment in two woody and two herbaceous plant species. Functional Ecology 17: 29–38. .
- 1994. Influence of light level on the growth and morphology of saplings in a Panamanian forest. American Journal of Botany 81: 948–857. .
- 1996. Allometry and life history of tropical trees. Journal of Tropical Ecology 12: 25–44. .
- 1999. Juvenile foliage and the scaling of tree proportions, with emphasis on Eucalyptus. Ecology 80: 1944–1954. .
- 2001. Stem orientation is related to growth rate, leaf dimensions, and the deciduous habit in temperate forest saplings. Canadian Journal of Botany 79: 1282–1291. .
- 2003. Allocation of above-ground growth is related to light in temperate deciduous saplings. Functional Ecology 17: 482–488. .
- 2005. Linking tree form, allocation and growth with an allometrically explicit model. Ecological Modelling 185: 77–91. .
- 1987. Significance of architecture and allometry in saplings. Functional Ecology 1: 399–404. .
- 1989. Foliage–crown development and interaction in Quercus gilva and Q. acuta. Journal of Ecology 77: 92–111. .
- 1994. Canopy gaps: competitive light interception and economic space filling – a matter of whole-plant allocation. In: CaldwellMM, PearcyRW, eds. Exploitation of environmental heterogeneity by plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 111–144. .
- 1998. Plant physiological ecology. New York: Springer-Verlag. , , .
- 1982. Structural dynamics of Silver birch. II. A matrix model of the bud population. Journal of Applied Ecology 19: 219–238. .
- 1992. Seasonal model of modular growth in plants. Journal of Ecology 80: 123–130. .
- 1983. The adaptive architecture of shrub canopies: leaf display and biomass allocation in relation to light environment. New Phytologist 93: 301–310. , .
- 2001. Global-scale climatic controls of leaf dry mass per area, density, and thickness in trees and shrubs. Ecology 82: 453–469. .
- 2002. Stomatal conductance alone does not explain the decline in foliar photosynthetic rates with increasing tree age and size in Picea abies and Pinus sylvestris. Tree Physiology 22: 515–535. .
- 1994. Plant allometry. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1995. Size-dependent allometry of tree height, diameter and trunk-taper. Annals of Botany 75: 217–227. .
- 2005a. Influence of between-year variation in the density of Rhus trichocarpa fruits on the removal of fruit by birds. Plant Ecology 176: 195–202. .
- 2005b. Branching, biomass allocation, and light capture efficiency of a pioneer tree, Rhus trichocarpa in a secondary forest. Canadian Journal of Botany 83: 1590–1598. .
- 2002. Changes in shoot allometry with increasing tree height in a tropical canopy species, Elateriospermum tapos. Tree Physiology 22: 625–632. , , , .
- 2004a. Changes in crown architecture with tree height in two deciduous tree species: developmental constraints or plastic response to the competition for light? Forest Ecology and Management 188: 337–347. , , , .
- 2004b. Changes in crown development patterns and current-year shoot structure with light environment and tree height in Fagus crenata (Fagaceae). American Journal of Botany 91: 1981–1989. , , , .
- 1998. The functional morphology of light capture and carbon gain in the Redwood forest understorey plant Adenocaulon bicolor Hook. Functional Ecology 12: 543–552. , .
- 2005. Dry mass costs of deploying leaf area in relation to leaf size. Functional Ecology 19: 88–97. , , .
- 1999. Light environment, sapling architecture, and leaf display in six rain forest tree species. American Journal of Botany 86: 1464–1473. , .
- 2003. Hydraulic architecture and the evolution of shoot allometry in contrasting climates. American Journal of Botany 90: 1502–1512. , .
- 2000. The effect of tree height and light availability on photosynthetic leaf traits of four neotropical species differing in shade tolerance. Functional Ecology 14: 77–86. , , .
- 1994. Modular and metamer dynamics and virtual plants. Advances in Ecological Research 25: 105–157. , , .
- 1964. A quantitative analysis of plant form – the pipe model theory. I. Basic analyses. Japanese Journal of Ecology 14: 97–105. , , , .
- 1995. Biometry, 3rd edn. New York: W.H. Freeman. , .
- 2001. Crown development in tropical rain forest trees: patterns with tree height and light availability. Journal of Ecology 89: 1–13. , .
- 2003. Module responses in a tropical rain forest tree analyzed with a matrix model. Ecology 84: 2751–2761. , , , , .
- 1998. Plant foraging and dynamic competition between branches of Pinus sylvestris in contrasting light environments. Journal of Ecology 86: 934–945. , .
- 1994. A simulation model of tree architecture development based on growth response to local light environment. Journal of Plant Research 107: 321–330. .
- 1997. Structural variation in current-year shoots of broad-leaved evergreen tree saplings under forest canopies in warm temperate Japan. Tree Physiology 17: 205–210. .
- 2000. Shoot growth responses to light microenvironment and correlative inhibition in tree seedlings under a forest canopy. Tree Physiology 20: 987–991. .
- 2004. The criteria for biomass partitioning of the current shoot: water transport versus mechanical support. American Journal of Botany 91: 1949–1959. , .
- 2002. Photosynthetic differences between saplings and adult trees: an integration of field results by meta-analysis. Tree Physiology 22: 117–127. , .
- 2002. Common slope tests for bivariate errors-in-variables models. Biometrical Journal 44: 161–174. , .
- 2003. The leaf size–twig size spectrum and its relationship to other important spectra of variation among species. Oecologia 135: 621–628. , .
- 1979. The plant as a metapopulation. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 10: 109–145. .
- 1989. Tree branches as populations of twigs. Canadian Journal of Botany 67: 434–442. .
- 2002. Convergence towards higher leaf mass per area in dry and nutrient-poor habitats has different consequences for leaf life span. Journal of Ecology 90: 534–543. , , .
- 2000. Morphology and biomass allocation of current-year shoots of ten tall tree species in cool temperate Japan. Journal of Plant Research 113: 171–183. .