Molecular analysis of poplar defense against herbivory: comparison of wound- and insect elicitor-induced gene expression
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2006
Volume 172, Issue 4, pages 617–635, December 2006
How to Cite
Major, I. T. and Constabel, C. P. (2006), Molecular analysis of poplar defense against herbivory: comparison of wound- and insect elicitor-induced gene expression. New Phytologist, 172: 617–635. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01877.x
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2006
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2006
- Received: 16 July 2006 Accepted: 26 July 2006
- 2003. Differential activity and degradation of plant volatile elicitors in regurgitant of tobacco hornworm (Manduca sexta) larvae. Journal of Chemical Ecology 29: 1357–1372. , , .
- 1997. An elicitor of plant volatiles from beet armyworm oral secretion. Science 276: 945–949. , , , , , .
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Research 25: 3389–3402. , , , , , , .
- 2004. A transcriptional timetable of autumn senescence. Genome Biology 5: R24. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Forest tent caterpillars (Malacosoma disstria) induce local and systemic diurnal emissions of terpenoid volatiles in hybrid poplar (Populus trichocarpa×deltoides): cDNA cloning, functional characterization, and patterns of gene expression of (-)-germacrene D synthase Ptdtps1. Plant Journal 37: 603–616. , , .
- 2005. Herbivore-induced, indirect plant defences. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1734: 91–111. , , .
- 2002. Induced sink strength as a prerequisite for induced tannin biosynthesis in developing leaves of Populus. Oecologia 130: 585–593. , .
- 2001. Merging molecular and ecological approaches in plant–insect interactions. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 4: 351–358. , , , .
- 2003. Arabidopsis genes involved in acyl lipid metabolism. A 2003 census of the candidates, a study of the distribution of expressed sequence tags in organs, and a web-based database. Plant Physiology 132: 681–697. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Polypeptide signaling for plant defensive genes exhibits analogies to defense signaling in animals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 12053–12058. , , .
- 2004. Poplar genome sequence: functional genomics in an ecologically dominant plant species. Trends in Plant Science 9: 49–56. , , .
- 2002. Transcriptional profiling reveals novel interactions between wounding, pathogen, abiotic stress, and hormonal responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 129: 661–677. , , , , , .
- 2004. Gene expression profiling of systemically wound-induced defenses in hybrid poplar. Planta 219: 936–947. , , , .
- 1984. Genomic sequencing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 81: 1991–1995. , .
- 1998. Chitinase accumulates systemically in wounded poplar trees. Physiologia Plantarum 103: 154–161. , , , , , .
- 2000. Polyphenol oxidase from hybrid poplar. Cloning and expression in response to wounding and herbivory. Plant Physiology 124: 285–295. , , , .
- 1997. Biosynthesis and action of jasmonates in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 355–381. , .
- 1991a. Populus chitinase genes: structure, organization, and similarity of translated sequences to herbaceous plant chitinases. Plant Molecular Biology 17: 631–639. , , , .
- 1993. A family of wound-induced genes in Populus shares common features with genes encoding vegetative storage proteins. Plant Molecular Biology 23: 135–143. , , , , , , .
- 1991b. Assimilate movement dictates remote sites of wound-induced gene expression in poplar leaves. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 2393–2396. , , .
- 1991. Enzymatic antinutritive defenses of the tomato plant against insects. In: HedinP., ed. Naturally occurring pest bioregulators. Washington, DC, USA: ACS Press, 167–197. , .
- 1999. EDS1, an essential component of Royal gene-mediated disease resistance in Arabidopsis has homology to eukaryotic lipases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 3292–3297. , , , , , .
- 2002. Plant resistance towards insect herbivores: a dynamic interaction. New Phytologist 156: 145–169. .
- 2004. Transcript identification and profiling during salt stress and recovery of Populus euphratica. Tree Physiology 24: 265–276. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Molecular interactions between the specialist herbivore Manduca sexta (Lepidoptera, Sphingidae) and its natural host Nicotiana attenuata. VI. Microarray analysis reveals that most herbivore-specific transcriptional changes are mediated by fatty acid-amino acid conjugates. Plant Physiology 131: 1894–1902. , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular interactions between the specialist herbivore Manduca sexta (Lepidoptera, Sphingidae) and its natural host Nicotiana attenuata. III. Fatty acid-amino acid conjugates in herbivore oral secretions are necessary and sufficient for herbivore-specific plant responses. Plant Physiology 125: 711–717. , , , , .
- 2001a. A Kunitz trypsin inhibitor gene family from trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.): cloning, functional expression, and induction by wounding and herbivory. Plant Molecular Biology 46: 347–359. , , , , .
- 2001b. Polyphenol oxidase and herbivore defense in trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides): cDNA cloning, expression, and potential substrates. Physiologia Plantarum 112: 552–558. , , .
- 1999. Effects of elicitation treatment and genotypic variation on induced resistance in Populus: impacts on gypsy moth (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae) development and feeding behavior. Oecologia 120: 295–303. , .
- 2004. Microarray analysis of salicylic acid- and jasmonic acid-signalling in responses of Nicotiana attenuata to attack by insects from multiple feeding guilds. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1362–1373. , .
- 2001. Molecular interactions between the specialist herbivore Manduca sexta (Lepidoptera, Sphingidae) and its natural host Nicotiana attenuata. I. Large-scale changes in the accumulation of growth- and defense-related plant mRNAs. Plant Physiology 125: 683–700. , , .
- 2004. Jasmonates as signals in the wound response. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 23: 223–237. .
- 2003. Molecular interactions between the specialist herbivore Manduca sexta (Lepidoptera, Sphingidae) and its natural host Nicotiana attenuata. V. Microarray analysis and further characterization of large-scale changes in herbivore-induced mRNAs. Plant Physiology 131: 1877–1893. , , , , , .
- 2001. The DEFECTIVE IN ANTHER DEHISCENCE1 gene encodes a novel phospholipase A1 catalyzing the initial step of jasmonic acid biosynthesis, which synchronizes pollen maturation, anther dehiscence, and flower opening in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 13: 2191–2209. , , , , .
- 1999. Arabidopsis thaliana PAD4 encodes a lipase-like gene that is important for salicylic acid signaling. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 13583–13588. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Plant responses to insect herbivory: the emerging molecular analysis. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 299–328. , .
- 1971. The plastochron index as applied to developmental studies of cottonwood. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 1: 1–11. , .
- 2001. Vegetative storage protein expression during terminal bud formation in poplar. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 31: 1098–1103. , , , , .
- 1995. β-Glucosidase: an elicitor of herbivore-induced plant odor that attracts host-searching parasitic wasps. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 2036–2040. , , .
- 1997. Herbivory and caterpillar regurgitants amplify the wound-induced increases in jasmonic acid but not nicotine in Nicotiana sylvestris. Planta 203: 430–435. , .
- 2005. Effects of feeding Spodoptera littoralis on lima bean leaves. II. Continuous mechanical wounding resembling insect feeding is sufficient to elicit herbivory related volatile emission. Plant Physiology 137: 1160–1168. , , .
- 2005. A genomic approach to investigate developmental cell death in woody tissues of Populus trees. Genome Biology 6: R34. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Enzymatic decomposition of elicitors of plant volatiles in Heliothis virescens and Helicoverpa zea. Journal of Insect Physiology 47: 749–757. , , , .
- 2003. Identification of volicitin-related compounds from the regurgitant of lepidopteran caterpillars. Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry 67: 1168–1171. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Characterization of a novel gene encoding a putative single zinc-finger protein, ZIM, expressed during the reproductive phase in Arabidopsis thaliana. Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry 64: 1402–1409. , , , , , .
- 1989. Systemic accumulation of specific mRNAs in response to wounding in poplar trees. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 86: 7895–7899. , , .
- 2002. Molecular analysis of herbivore-induced condensed tannin synthesis: cloning and expression of dihydroflavonol reductase from trembling aspen (Populus tremuloides). Plant Journal 32: 701–712. , .
- 1999. New fatty acid amides from regurgitant of lepidopteran (Noctuidae, Geometridae) caterpillars. Tetrahedron 55: 11275–11280. , , , , .
- 2004. Consistency of Nicotiana attenuata's herbivore- and jasmonate-induced transcriptional responses in the allotetraploid species Nicotiana quadrivalvis and Nicotiana clevelandii. Plant Physiology 135: 539–548. , , .
- 2006. Genomics of hybrid poplar (Populus trichocarpa×deltoides) interacting with forest tent caterpillars (Malacosoma disstria): normalized and full-length cDNA libraries, expressed sequence tags, and a cDNA microarray for the study of insect-induced defences in poplar. Molecular Ecology 15: 1275–1297. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A conserved transcript pattern in response to a specialist and a generalist herbivore. Plant Cell 16: 3132–3147. , , , , , .
- 2000. Differential gene expression in response to mechanical wounding and insect feeding in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 12: 707–720. , , , .
- 2000. Chasing the dream: plant EST microarrays. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 3: 108–116. , .
- 2004. Individual variability in herbivore-specific elicitors from the plant's perspective. Molecular Ecology 13: 2421–2433. , , , .
- 1999. Cross-talk between wound signalling pathways determines local versus systemic gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 20: 135–142. , , .
- 1990. Protease inhibitors in plants: Genes for improving defenses against insects and pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 28: 425–449. .
- 2000. The systemin signaling pathway: differential activation of plant defensive genes. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1477: 112–121. .
- 2002. Systemic wound signaling in plants: a new perception. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 6519–6520. , .
- 2004. Biosynthesis and metabolism of jasmonates. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 23: 179–199. , , .
- 2005. Systemic signaling in the wound response. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 369–377. , .
- 2001. Molecular interactions between the specialist herbivore Manduca sexta (Lepidoptera, Sphingidae) and its natural host Nicotiana attenuata. II. Accumulation of plant mRNAs in response to insect-derived cues. Plant Physiology 125: 701–710. , , .
- 2003. Quantitative relationships between induced jasmonic acid levels and volatile emission in Zea mays during Spodoptera exigua herbivory. Planta 216: 665–673. , , , .
- 2004. Cambial meristem dormancy in trees involves extensive remodelling of the transcriptome. Plant Journal 40: 173–187. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Characterization of Arabidopsis ZIM, a member of a novel plant-specific GATA factor gene family. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 631–639. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Arabidopsis ZIM, a plant-specific GATA factor, can function as a transcriptional activator. Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry 67: 2495–2497. , , , .
- 2003. Arabidopsis contains a large superfamily of acyl-activating enzymes. Phylogenetic and biochemical analysis reveals a new class of acyl-coenzyme A synthetases. Plant Physiology 132: 1065–1076. , , .
- 2004. The response of the poplar transcriptome to wounding and subsequent infection by a viral pathogen. New Phytologist 164: 123–136. , , , .
- 2004. The oxylipin signal jasmonic acid is activated by an enzyme that conjugates it to isoleucine in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 2117–2127. , .
- 2002. Jasmonate response locus JAR1 and several related Arabidopsis genes encode enzymes of the firefly luciferase superfamily that show activity on jasmonic, salicylic, and indole-3-acetic acids in an assay for adenylation. Plant Cell 14: 1405–1415. , , .
- 2004. A Populus EST resource for plant functional genomics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 13 951–13 956. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Statistical significance for genomewide studies. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 9440–9494. , .
- 2002. Characterization and cDNA-microarray expression analysis of 12-oxophytodienoate reductases reveals differential roles for octadecanoid biosynthesis in the local versus the systemic wound response. Plant Journal 32: 585–601. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Jasmonic acid-dependent and – independent signaling pathways control wound-induced gene activation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 115: 817–826. , , , .
- 2004. In situ translocation of volicitin by beet armyworm larvae to maize and systemic immobility of the herbivore elicitor in planta. Planta 218: 999–1007. , .
- 2004. A plasma membrane protein from Zea mays binds with the herbivore elicitor volicitin. Plant Cell 16: 523–532. , , .
- 2005. Biosynthesis of fatty acid amide elicitors of plant volatiles by insect herbivores. Archives of Insect Biochemistry and Physiology 58: 54–68. , .
- 2004. Poplar genomics is getting popular: the impact of the poplar genome project on tree research. Plant Biology 6: 2–4. , , .
- 2004. Herbivore-induced plant vaccination. Part II. Array-studies reveal the transience of herbivore-specific transcriptional imprints and a distinct imprint from stress combinations. Plant Journal 38: 650–663. , .
- 2000. The myriad plant responses to herbivores. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 19: 195–216. .
- 2003. Biochemical characterization of two differentially expressed polyphenol oxidases from hybrid poplar. Phytochemistry 64: 115–121. , .
- 2004. Polyphenol oxidase overexpression in transgenic Populus enhances resistance to herbivory by forest tent caterpillar (Malacosoma disstria). Planta 220: 87–96. , .