Shade avoidance in Trifolium repens: costs and benefits of plasticity in petiole length and leaf size
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2006
Volume 172, Issue 4, pages 655–666, December 2006
How to Cite
Weijschedé, J., Martínková, J., De Kroon, H. and Huber, H. (2006), Shade avoidance in Trifolium repens: costs and benefits of plasticity in petiole length and leaf size. New Phytologist, 172: 655–666. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01885.x
- Issue published online: 19 SEP 2006
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2006
- Received: 19 July 2006 Accepted: 28 July 2006
- 2002. The relative advantages of plasticity and fixity in different environments: when is it good for a plant to adjust? Evolutionary Ecology 16: 285–297. , .
- 2005. Effects of mechanical stress and plant density on mechanical characteristics, growth, and lifetime resproduction of tobacco plants. The American Naturalist 166: 650–660. , , .
- 1995. On the importance of information-acquiring systems in plant–plant interactions. Functional Ecology 9: 5–14. , .
- 1994. Signaling among neighboring plants and the development of size inequalities in plant- populations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 91: 10 094–10 098. , , , .
- 1994. Use and misuse of mixed-model analysis of variance in ecological-studies. Ecology 75: 717–722. , .
- 1965. Evolutionary significance of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Advanced Genetics 13: 115–155. .
- 2005. Plasticity genes and plasticity costs: a new approach using an Arabidopsis recombinant inbred population. New Phytologist 166: 129–139. , , .
- 1999. Exploring cost constraints on stem elongation in plants using phenotypic manipulation. American Naturalist 153: 236–242. , .
- 1998. Costs and limits of phenotypic plasticity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13: 77–81. , , .
- 2000. Evidence of adaptive divergence in plasticity: density- and site-dependent selection on shade-avoidance responses in Impatiens capensis. Evolution 54: 1956–1968. , , , , .
- 2000. Plasticity to light cues and resources in Arabidopsis thaliana: testing for adaptive value and costs. Evolution 54: 1982–1994. , , .
- 1996. Testing the adaptive plasticity hypothesis: density-dependent selection on manipulated stem length in Impatiens capensis. American Naturalist 147: 445–465. , .
- 2004. Experimental life-history evolution: selection on growth form and its plasticity in a clonal plant. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 17: 331–341. , , .
- 2003. Inheritance and natural selection on functional traits. International Journal of Plant Sciences 164: S21–S42. , .
- 2002. Ecological constraints on the evolution of plasticity in plants. Evolutionary Ecology 16: 213–242. .
- 2001. Molecular analysis of white clover population structure in grazed swards during two growing seasons. Crop Science 41: 1143–1149. , .
- 2001. Branching responses of a plagiotropic clonal herb to localised incidence of light simulating that reflected from vegetation. Oecologia 127: 185–190. , , , .
- 2004. Plasticity in fitness and fitness-related traits at ramet and genet levels in a tillering grass Panicum miliaceum under patchy soil nutrients. Plant Ecology 172: 1–10. , , .
- 2002. Interactive effects of lateral shade and wind on stem allometry, biomass allocation, and mechanical stability in Abutilon theophrasti (Malvaceae). American Journal of Botany 89: 1609–1615. , .
- 1997. Morphological variation in Plantago lanceolata L. effects of light quality and growth regulators on sun and shade populations. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 10: 687–701. .
- 1950. The water culture method for growing plants without soil. California Agriculural Experimental Station Circular 347: 1–32. , .
- 2000. No long-term costs of meristem allocation to flowering in stoloniferous Trifolium species. Evolutionary Ecology 14: 731–748. , .
- 1997. Differential response to shading in orthotropic and plagiotropic shoots of the clonal herb Glechoma hirsuta. Oecologia 112: 485–491. , .
- 1997. Shade avoidance in the clonal herb Trifolium fragiferum: a field study with experimentally manipulated vegetation height. Plant Ecology 130: 53–62. , .
- 2005. Constraints on the evolution of adaptive phenotypic plasticity in plants. New Phytologist 166: 49–60. , .
- 1995. Morphological plasticity in clonal plants – the foraging concept reconsidered. Journal of Ecology 83: 143–152. , .
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. , .
- 1998. The role of petioles in light acquisition by Hydrocotyle vulgaris L. in a vertical light gradient. Oecologia 117: 235–238. , , .
- 2003. Ethylene is required in tobacco to successfully compete with proximate neighbours. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1229–1234. , , , .
- 2005. Evolution of phenotypic plasticity: where are we going now? Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20: 481–486. .
- 2003. Comparative studies of evolutionary responses to light environments in Arabidopsis. American Naturalist 161: 68–82. , , .
- 2002. Costs of canalization and plasticity in response to neighbors in Brassica rapa. Plant Species Biology 17: 109–118. , .
- 2002. Costs of phenotypic plasticity. American Naturalist 159: 272–282. .
- 1993a. Genetics and evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 24: 35–68. .
- 1993b. Plasticity as a selectable trait – reply to Via. American Naturalist 142: 371–373. .
- 2001. manova. In: ScheinerSM, GurevitchJ, eds. Design and analysis of ecological experiments. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 99–115. .
- 2002. Selection experiments and the study of phenotypic plasticity. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 15: 889–898. .
- 1998. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. VIII. The cost of plasticity in Daphnia pulex. Evolution 52: 368–378. , .
- 1993. Control of phenotypic plasticity via regulatory genes. American Naturalist 142: 366–370. , .
- 1997. Is photomorphogenic shade avoidance adaptive? Perspectives from population biology. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 826–830. .
- 2003. The adaptive evolution of plasticity: phytochrome-mediated shade avoidance responses. Integrative and Comparative Biology 43: 459–469. , , , .
- 1993. Light spectral quality, phytochrome and plant competition. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 8: 47–51. , .
- 2002. A genotypic trade-off between the number and size of clonal offspring in the stoloniferous herb Potentilla reptans. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 15: 880–884. , , .
- 1987. Evolutionary implications of phenotypic plasticity in plants. Evolutionary Ecology 21: 127–178. .
- 1995. Phenotypic plasticity and plant adaptation. Acta Botanica Neerlandica 44: 363–383. .
- 2005. An emerging focus on plant ecological development. New Phytologist 166: 1–5. .
- 1993. Phenotypic plasticity in polygonum-persicaria. 3. The evolution of ecological breadth for nutrient environment. Evolution 47: 1050–1071. , .
- 2002. Metapopulation structure favors plasticity over local adaptation. American Naturalist 160: 271–283. , .
- 1991. Evolution of generalists and specialists in spatially heterogeneous environments. Evolution 45: 1317–1331. .
- 1983. The biology of Canadian weeds. 57. Trifolium-repens L. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 63: 243–266. , .
- 1993. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity – target or by-product of selection in a variable environment? American Naturalist 142: 352–365. .
- 1995. Adaptive phenotypic plasticity – consensus and controversy. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 10: 212–217. , , , , , .
- 2000. Plasticity versus canalization: population differences in the timing of shade-avoidance responses. Evolution 54: 441–451. .
- 1999. The effects of environmental heterogeneity on the performance of Glechoma hederacea: the interactions between patch contrast and patch scale. Journal of Ecology 87: 860–872. , .
- 2004. Developmental process of sun and shade leaves in Chenopodium album L. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 781–793. , .