Modelling postsilking nitrogen fluxes in maize (Zea mays) using 15N-labelling field experiments
Article first published online: 27 SEP 2006
Volume 172, Issue 4, pages 696–707, December 2006
How to Cite
Gallais, A., Coque, M., Quilléré, I., Prioul, J.-L. and Hirel, B. (2006), Modelling postsilking nitrogen fluxes in maize (Zea mays) using 15N-labelling field experiments. New Phytologist, 172: 696–707. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01890.x
- Issue published online: 27 SEP 2006
- Article first published online: 27 SEP 2006
- Received: 30 June 2006 Accepted: 7 August 2006
- 2000. Genetic variation for nitrogen use efficiency in a set of recombinant inbred lines. I. Agrophysiological results. Maydica 45: 53–66. , .
- 1978. Field trials with isotopically labeled nitrogen fertilizer. In: NielsenDR, MacDonaldJG, eds. Nitrogen in the environment. 1. Nitrogen behaviour in field soil. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 1–41. , .
- 2001. Remobilization in plant life and senescence. In: Morot-GaudryJF, ed. Assimilation de l’azote chez les plantes. France: INRA, 327–349. , , , .
- 1990a. Estimation of C and N allocation during stalk elongation by 13C and 15N tracing in Zea mays L. Plant Physiology 92: 79–87. , , , , , , , .
- 1990b. C and N mobilization from stalk and leaves during kernel filling by 13C and 15N tracing in Zea mays L. Plant Physiology 94: 1547–1553. , , .
- 1989. Cycling of amino-nitrogen and other nutrients between shoots and roots in cereals – A possible mechanism integrating shoot and root in the regulation of nutrient uptake. Journal of Experimental Botany 40: 753–762. , .
- 2006. Bases physologiques et génétiques de la valorisation de la fumure azotée chez le maïs. PhD thesis. Institut National Agronomique Paris-Grignon, Paris, France. .
- 2005. Genetic variation and QTLs for 15N natural abundance in a set of maize recombinant inbred lines. Field Crops Research 97: 310–322. , , , .
- 1982. Sources, fluxes, and sinks of nitrogen during early reproductive growth in maize (Zea mays L.). Plant Physiology 70: 1654–1660. , , .
- 1994. Use of 13C and 15N plant label near natural abundance for monitoring carbon and nitrogen partitioning. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 21: 133–146. , , .
- 1993. N-uptake, translocation and relationships among N-related traits in maize as affected by genotype. Agronomie 2: 789–796. , , , , .
- 2005. Genetic variation and selection for nitrogen use efficiency in maize, a synthesis. Maydica 50: 531–547. , .
- 2005. Physiology of maize II: Identification of physiological markers representative of the nitrogen status of maize (Zea mays L.) leaves, during grain filling. Physiologia Plantarum 124: 178–188. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Rubisco synthesis, turnover and degradation: some new thoughts on an old problem. New Phytologist 169: 445–448. , .
- 2001. Ammonia assimilation. In: LeaPJ, Morot-GaudryJF, eds. Plant nitrogen. Berlin, Germany: INRA Springer-Verlag, 79–99. , .
- 2002. Nitrogen metabolism and remobilization during senescence. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 927–937. , .
- 1990. Proteolytic activity during senescence of plants. New Phytologist 116: 199–231. .
- 2006. A dynamic model of Rubisco protein turnover. New Phytologist 169: 493–504. , .
- 2005. The sources of carbon and nitrogen supplying leaf growth. Assessment of the role of stores with compartmental models. Plant Physiology 137: 383–395. , , .
- 1985. Isotopic fractionation during reduction of nitrate and nitrite by extracts of spinach leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 12: 631–640. , , .
- 1984. ATP-dependent proteolysis in pea chloroplasts. Federation of European Biochemical Societies Letters 166: 248–252. , .
- 1998. Nitrogen uptake and use of two contrasting maize hybrids differing in leaf senescence. Plant and Soil 199: 283–291. , .
- 1983. Change in the amount of Ribulose Bisphosphate Carboxylase synthesized and degraded during life span of rice leaf (Oryza sativa). Plant and Cell Physiology 24: 1079–1086. , , .
- 1984. Newly synthesized proteins are degraded by an ATP-stimulated proteolytic process in isolated pea chloroplasts. Federation of European Biochemical Societies Letters 166: 253–257. , , , .
- 1982. Nitrogen isotope fractionation associated with nitrate reductase activity and uptake of NO3− by pearl millet. Plant Physiology 69: 880–884. , , , , .
- 2001. The challenge of remobilization in plant nitrogen economy. A survey of physio-agronomic and molecular approaches. Annals of Applied Biology 138: 69–81. , , , .
- 1982. Analysis and interpretation of factors which contribute to efficiency of nitrogen utilization. Agronomy Journal 74: 562–564. , , .
- 2002. How does photorespiration modulate leaf amino acid contents? A dual approach through modelling and metabolite analysis. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 821–835. , , , , .
- 2005. Carbon and nitrogen allocation and grain filling in three maize hybrids differing in leaf senescence. European Journal of Agronomy 24: 203–211. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Source:sink ratio and leaf senescence in maize. II. Nitrogen metabolism during grain filling. Field Crops Research 60: 255–265. , .
- 1985. Partitioning into maize grain N fractions of N absorbed through the roots before and after pollination. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 36: 645–650. ,
- 2005. Dynamics of exogenous nitrogen partitioning and nitrogen remobilization from vegetative organs in pea (Pisum sativum L.) revealed by 15N in vivo labelling throughout the seed filling. Plant Physiology 137: 1463–1473. , , , , .
- 1991. Ammonia emission from the foliage of growing plants. In: SharkeyTD, HollandEA, MooneyHA, eds. Trace gas emissions by plants. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 267–292. .
- 1997. Apparent atmospheric nitrogen loss from hydroponically grown corn. Agronomy Journal 89: 605–609. , .
- 2004a. Uptake of nitrogen by rice studied with a 15N point-placement technique. Plant and Soil 259: 259–265. , , , , , , .
- 2004b. Temporal origin of nitrogen in the grain of irrigated rice in the dry season: the outcome of uptake, cycling, senescence and competition studied using a 15N-point placement technique. Field Crops Research 89: 337–348. , , , , , , , , .
- 1983. Nitrogen redistribution during grain growth in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). IV. Development of a quantitative model of the translocation of nitrogen to the grain. Plant Physiology 71: 7–14. , , .
- 1992. Nitrogen partitioning in maize during ear development. Crop Science 32: 443–451. , .
- 2002. Plant physiology, 3rd edn. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates Inc. Publishers. , .
- 2005. Variation in the activity of some enzymes of photorespiratory metabolism in C-4 grasses. Annals of Botany 96: 863–869. , , .
- 1989. Maize (Zea mays L.) hybrid use of 15N-nitrate absorbed vegetatively by roots. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 69: 383–393. .
- 1992. Allocation and retranslocation of 15N by maize (Zea mays L.) hybrids under field conditions of low and high fertility. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 19: 77–88. , .