Nitrogen uptake and metabolism in Populus × canescens as affected by salinity
Article first published online: 30 OCT 2006
Volume 173, Issue 2, pages 279–293, January 2007
How to Cite
Dluzniewska, P., Gessler, A., Dietrich, H., Schnitzler, J.-P., Teuber, M. and Rennenberg, H. (2007), Nitrogen uptake and metabolism in Populus × canescens as affected by salinity. New Phytologist, 173: 279–293. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01908.x
- Issue published online: 30 OCT 2006
- Article first published online: 30 OCT 2006
- Received: 24 July 2006 Accepted: 6 September 2006
- 2005. Characteristics of nitrate uptake by plants under salinity. Journal of Plant Nutrition 28: 33–46. , , .
- 2001. Effects of salinity and mixed ammonium and nitrate nutrition on the growth and nitrogen utilization of barley. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 186: 223–228. , , , .
- 2001. Salt tolerance of two wheat genotypes in response to the form of nitrogen. Agronomie 21: 259–266. , .
- 2004. Transcriptional regulation of proline biosynthesis in Medicago truncatula reveals developmental and environmental specific features. Physiologia Plantarum 120: 442–450. , , , , .
- 2000. Combination effect of NaCl salinity and nitrogen form on mineral composition of sunflower plants. Biologia Plantarum 43: 615–619. , .
- 1977. Cellular energy metabolism and its regulation. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. .
- 2000. Nitrate reductase in Zea mays L. under salinity. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 515–521. , , , , , .
- 1994. A metabolic control analysis of the glutamine synthetase/glutamate synthase cycle in isolated barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) chloroplasts. Plant Physiology 105: 415–424. , , , .
- 1995. Salt stress increases ferredoxin-dependent glutamate synthase activity and protein level in the leaves of tomato. Physiologia Plantarum 93: 259–264. , , , , , .
- 2003. Mitochondrial succinic-semialdehyde dehydrogenase of the γ-aminobutyrate shunt is required to restrict levels of reactive oxygen intermediates in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 6843–6848. , , , , .
- 1992. Comparative effects of N-sources on growth and physiological responses of soyabean exposed to NaCI-stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 1225–1233. , , .
- 1982. Plant productivity and environment. Science 218: 443–448. .
- 1991. The influence of salinity on the kinetics of NH4+ uptake in Spartina alterniflora. Oecologia 85: 375–380. , .
- 2005. Gene expression and metabolite profiling of Populus euphratica growing in the Negev desert. Genome Biology 6: R101.1–R101.17. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Comparison of isoprene emission, intercellular isoprene concentration and photosynthetic performance in water-limited oak (Quercus pubescens Willd. and Quercus robur L.) saplings. Plant Biology 4: 456–463. , .
- 1997. Genotypic variation in drought tolerance of poplar in relation to abscisic acid. Tree Physiology 17: 797–803. , , , .
- 2002. Molecular and developmental biology of inorganic nitrogen nutrition. Arabidopsis Book 46: 1–25. , .
- 2006. Exogenous supply of glutamine and active cytokinin to the roots reduces NO3− uptake rates in poplar. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1284–1129. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Biochemical dissection of photorespiration. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 2: 214–222. , .
- 2006. Interaction of nitrogen nutrition and salinity in grey poplar (Populus tremula × alba). Plant, Cell & Environment. (In press.) , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Pea responses to saline stress is affected by the source of nitrogen nutrition (ammonium or nitrate). Plant Growth Regulation 35: 171–179. , , , , .
- 1998. Comparative analysis of the regulation of expression and structures of two evolutionarily divergent genes for Delta1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase from tomato. Plant Physiology 118: 661–674. , , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of nitrate uptake on the whole plant level: Interaction between nitrogen compounds, cytokinins and carbon metabolism. Tree Physiology 24: 1313–1321. , , .
- 1998. Soluble N compounds in trees exposed to high loads of N: a comparison between the roots of Norway spruce (Picea abies) and beech (Fagus sylvatica) trees. New Phytologist 138: 385–399. , , , , .
- 1998. Isolation and characterization of two different cDNAs of delta1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthase in alfalfa, transcriptionally induced upon salt stress. Plant Molecular Biology 38: 755–764. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Genes that are uniquely stress regulated in salt overly sensitive (sos) mutants. Plant Physiology 126: 363–375. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Effects of NaCl on flows of N and mineral ions and on NO3− reduction rate within whole plants of salt-sensitive bean and salt-tolerant cotton. Plant Physiology 105: 1409–1418. , , .
- 2004. Transcript identification and profiling during salt stress and recovery of Populus euphratica. Tree Physiology 24: 265–276. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Metabolic implications of stress-induced proline accumulation in plants. Plant Growth Regulation 21: 79–102. , .
- 1999. Review article. Proline synthesis and degradation: a model system for elucidating stress-related signal transduction. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 413–434. , , .
- 2004. Regulation of sulphate assimilation by glutathione in poplars (Populus tremula × P. alba) of wild type and overexpressing γ-glutamylcysteine synthetase in the cytosol. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 837–845. , , , , , .
- 1993. Effect of NaCl salinity, nitrogen form, calcium and potassium concentration on nitrogen uptake and kinetics in Triticum aestivum L. cv. Gamtoos. New Phytologist 124: 171–177. , .
- 2000. Oscillation and regulation of proline content by P5CS and ProDH gene expressions in the light/dark cycles in Arabidopsis thaliana L. Plant and Cell Physiology 41: 1096–1101. , , , .
- 2003. Interactions in the uptake of amino acids, ammonium and nitrate ions in the Arctic salt-marsh grass, Puccinellia phryganodes. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 419–428. , .
- 1966. Sand and water culture methods used in the study of plant nutrition. Farnham Royal, UK: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureau. .
- 1950. The water-culture method for growing plants without soil. California Agricultural Experiment Station Circular 347: 1–32. , .
- 2002. Wheat response to nitrogen source under saline conditions. Journal of Plant Nutrition 25: 2603–2612. , , , .
- 2004. Polyamine, carbohydrate, and proline content changes during salt stress exposure of aspen (Populus tremula L.): involvement of oxidation and osmoregulation metabolism. Plant Biology 6: 74–80. , , .
- 2001. Post-translational regulation of nitrate reductase: mechanism, physiological relevance and environmental triggers. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1981–1989. , .
- 2006. Evidence that differential gene expression between the halophyte, Thellungiella halophila, and Arabidopsis thaliana is responsible for higher levels of the compatible osmolyte proline and tight control of Na+ uptake in T. halophila. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1220–1234. , , , .
- 2000. Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) and plant responses to stress. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 19: 479–509. , .
- 1996. A nuclear gene encoding mitochondrial proline dehydrogenase, an enzyme involved in proline metabolism, is upregulated by proline but downregulated by dehydration in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 8: 1323–1335. , , , .
- 1999. NaCl effects on proline metabolism in rice (Oryza sativa) seedlings. Physiologia Plantarum 105: 450–458. , , .
- 2000. Nitrogen containing compounds and adaptation of plants to salinity stress. Biologia Plantarum 43: 491–500. .
- 2004. The effects of salt stress on growth, nitrate reduction and proline and glycinebetaine accumulation in Prosopis alba. Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology 16: 39–46. , , , .
- 2002. Comparative physiology of salt and water stress. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 239–250. .
- 2005. Genes and salt tolerance: bringing them together. New Phytologist 167: 645–663. .
- 1999. Antisense suppression of proline degradation improves tolerance to freezing and salinity in Arabidopsis thaliana. FEBS Letters 461: 205–210. , , , , , .
- 2005. Populus euphratica displays apoplastic sodium accumulation, osmotic adjustment by decreases in calcium and soluble carbohydrates, and develops leaf succulence under salt stress. Plant Physiology 139: 1762–1772. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Effects of NaCl stress on nitrogen and phosphorous metabolism in a true mangrove Bruguiera parviflora grown under hydroponic culture. Journal of Plant Physiology 161: 921–928. , .
- 2005. Salt tolerance and salinity effects on plants: a review. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 60: 324–349. , .
- 2000. The physiology of salinity tolerance in larvae of two species of Culex mosquitoes: The role of compatible solutes. Journal of Experimental Biology 203: 821–830. , .
- 1996. Reciprocal regulation of Delta (1)-pyrroline-5-carboxylate synthetase and proline dehydrogenase genes controls proline levels during and after osmotic stress in plants. Molecular and General Genetics 253: 334–341. , , .
- 2002. Salt-induced expression of NADP-dependent isocitrate dehydrogenase and ferredoxin-dependent glutamate synthase in Mesembryanthemum crystallinum. Planta 215: 906–913. , , , , .
- 2005. Effect of NaCl salinity on nitrate uptake in Plantago maritima L. Phyton – Annales Rei Botanicae 45: 295–302. , , , .
- 1995. Nitrate regulation of nitrate uptake and nitrate reductase expression in barley grown at different nitrate: ammonium ratios at constant relative nitrogen addition rate. Physiologia Plantarum 94: 254–260. , , , .
- 1999. Metabolism and functions of gamma-aminobutyric acid. Trends in Plant Science 4: 446–452. , , .
- 2003. Proline accumulation and glutamine synthetase activity are increased by salt-induced proteolysis in cashew leaves. Journal of Plant Physiology 160: 115–123. , , , , , .
- 1989. Hydroxyl radical scavenging activity of compatible solutes. Phytochemistry 28: 1057–1060. , .
- 2004. A Populus EST resource for plant functional genomics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 13951–13956. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Differential expression of two P5CS genes controlling proline accumulation during salt-stress requires ABA and is regulated by ABA1, ABI1 and AXR2 in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal 12: 557–569. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Molecular and enzymatic analysis of ammonium assimilation in woody plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 891–904. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Subcellular location of Δ1-pyrroline-5-carboxylate reductase in root/nodule and leaf of soybean. Plant Physiology 99: 1642–1649. , , , .
- 2004. Comparative genomics in salt tolerance between Arabidopsis and Arabidopsis-related halophyte salt cress using Arabidopsis microarray. Plant Physiology 135: 1697–1709. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Populus: Arabidopsis for forestry. Do we need a model tree? Annals of Botany 90: 681–689. .
- 1996. Environmental and developmental signals modulate proline homeostasis: Evidence for a negative transcriptional regulator. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 8787–8791. , , , .
- 1999. Nitrate reductase activity and proline accumulation in cashew in response to NaCl salt shock. Brazilian Journal of Plant Physiology 11: 21–28. , , .
- 1984. Ökologische Pflanzensoziologie. Heidelberg, Germany: Quelle und Meyer. .
- 1998. New molecular approaches to improving salt tolerance in crop plants. Annals of Botany 82: 703–710. .
- 2000. Photorespiration: metabolic pathways and their role in stress protection. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B 355: 1517–1529. , , , .
- 2002a. Regulation of osmotic stress-responsive gene expression by the LOS6/ABA1 locus in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 8588–8596. , , , .
- 2002b. Cell signaling during cold, drought, and salt stress. Plant Cell 14: S165–S183. , , .
- 2004. Effect of salt stress on ammonium assimilation enzymes of the roots of rice (Oryza sativa) cultivars differing in salinity resistance. Acta Botanica Sinica 46: 921–927. , , , , , .