Relationship of water transport to anatomical features in the mangrove Laguncularia racemosa grown under contrasting salinities
Article first published online: 8 NOV 2006
Volume 173, Issue 3, pages 584–591, February 2007
How to Cite
Sobrado, M. A. (2007), Relationship of water transport to anatomical features in the mangrove Laguncularia racemosa grown under contrasting salinities. New Phytologist, 173: 584–591. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01927.x
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2006
- Article first published online: 8 NOV 2006
- Received: 4 September 2006 Accepted: 25 September 2006
- 1980. Role of auxin and sucrose in the differentiation of sieve and tracheary elements in plant tissue culture. Planta 150: 255–263. .
- 1983. The control of vessel size and density along the plant axis – a new hypothesis. Differentiation 24: 203–208. , .
- 1996. Comparative ecophysiology of mangrove forest and tropical lowland moist rainforest. In: S Mulkey, Royal L Chazdon, A P Smith, eds. Tropical forest plant ecophysiology. New York, NY, USA: Chapman & Hall. 461–496. .
- 1997. Sap flow rates of mangrove trees are not usually low. Trees 11: 432–435. , , , , .
- 1988. The effect of vessel element structure on element conductivity. Trees 2: 25–31. , .
- 1986. Biophysical model of xylem conductance in tracheids of the fern Pteris vittata. Journal of Experimental Botany 37: 1054–1064. , , .
- 2005. Hydraulic architecture of deciduous and evergreen dry forest tree species from north-eastern Australia. Trees 19: 305–311. , , , .
- 2002. Hydraulic architecture of trees: main concepts and results. Annnals of Forest Science 59: 723–752. , , .
- 1998. Factors influencing biodiversity and distributional gradients in mangroves. Global Ecology and Biogeography Letters 7: 27–47. , , .
- 2004. Hydraulic conductivity and embolism in the mangrove tree Laguncularia racemosa. Tree Physiology 24: 1057–1062. , , , .
- 1989. Xylem structure and ecological dominance in a forest community. American Journal of Botany 76: 1216–1228. .
- 2006. Scaling of angiosperm xylem structure with safety and efficiency. Tree Physiology 26: 689–701. , , , .
- 1991. Molecular genetic approaches to plant hormone biology. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology 42: 529–551. , .
- 2005. Hydraulic properties of the xylem in plants at different photosynthetic pathways. In: Holbrook NM, Swieniecki MA, eds. Vascular transport in plants. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier Academic Press: 517–536. , .
- 1997. Responses of woody plants to flooding and salinity. Tree Physiology Monograph 1: 1–29. .
- 1995. Differentiation of the ray system in woody plants. Botanical Review 61: 45–84. , .
- 1994. Eco-anatomical wood features of species from a very dry tropical forest. IAWA Journal 15: 261–376. .
- 1995. Relations between vulnerability to xylem embolism and xylem conduit dimensions in young trees of Quercus cerris. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 669. , , , .
- 2005. Sap salinity effects on xylem conductivity in two mangrove species. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 1285–2192. , , .
- 2002. Xylem hydraulic properties of roots and stems of nine Mediterranean woody species. Oecologia 133: 19–29. , , , .
- 1997. Osmolality and δ13C of leaf tissue of mangrove species from environments of contrasting rainfall and salinity. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 45: 337–344. , .
- 2001. Water relations of coastal and estuarine Rhizophora mangle: xylem pressure potential and dynamics of embolism formation and repair. Oecologia 126: 182–192. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Vulnerability to xylem cavitation and the distribution of Sonoran Desert vegetation. American Journal of Botany 87: 1287–1299. , .
- 1984. Structural correlations among woody leaves and plant habit. In: White RA, Dickinson W, eds. Contemporary problems in plant anatomy. Orlando, FL, USA: Academic Press Inc, 495–540. , .
- 2006. Leaf structural diversity is related to hydraulic capacity in tropical rainforest trees. Ecology 87: 483–491. , .
- 2006. Leaf hydraulics. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 361–381. , .
- 2002. The hydraulic conductance of angiosperm leaf lamina: a comparison of three measurement methods. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 2177–2184. , , , .
- 2005. Leaf hydraulic architecture correlates with regeneration irradiance in tropical rainforest trees. New Phytologist 167: 403–413. , , .
- 1962. Salt balance in mangroves. Plant Physiology 37: 722–729. , , , .
- 2000. Relation of water transport to leaf gas exchange properties in three mangrove species. Trees 14: 258–261. .
- 2001. Hydraulic properties of a mangrove Avicennia germinans as affected by NaCl. Biologia Plantarum 44: 435–438. .
- 2005. Leaf characteristics and gas exchange of the mangrove Laguncularia racemosa as affected by salinity. Photosynthetica 43: 217–221. .
- 1995. Biometry, 3rd edn. New York, NY, USA: WH Freeman. , .
- 2003. Evolution of water transport and xylem structure. International Journal of Plant Science 164: 115–127. .
- 1994. Intra- and inter-plant variation in xylem cavitation in Betula occidentalis. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 1233–1241. , .
- 1992. Xylem embolism in response to freeze-thaw cycles and water stress in ring-porous, diffuse-porous, and conifer species. Plant Physiology 100: 605–613. , .
- 1990. Water-stress-induced xylem embolism in three species of conifers. Plant, Cell & Environment 13: 427–436. , .
- 1988. Vulnerability to embolisms in a mangrove vs an inland species of Rhisophoraceae. Physiologia Plantarum 74: 276–283. , , .
- 1986. The botany of mangroves. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1994a. Biophysical perspectives of xylem evolution: is there a tradeoff of hydraulic efficiency for vulnerability to dysfunction? IAWA Journal 15: 335–360. , , .
- 1991. The hydraulic architecture of trees and other woody plants. New Phytologist 119: 345–360. , .
- 2005. The dependence of leaf hydraulic conductance on irradiance: any role for stomatal response? Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 737–744. , , , , .
- 1995. Dynamic measurements of root hydraulic conductance using a high-pressure flowmeter in the laboratory and field. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 83–94. , , , .
- 1999. Diversity of hydraulic conductance in leaves of temperate and tropical species: possible causes and consequences. Journal of Tropical Forest Science 11: 47–60. , , , .
- 1988. Do woody plants operate near the point of catastrophic xylem dysfunction caused by dynamic water stress: answer from a model. Plant Physiology 88: 574–580. , .
- 1994b. Novel method of measuring hydraulic conductivity of tree root systems and interpretation using AMAIZED: a maize-root dynamic model for water and solute transport. Plant Physiology 104: 189–199. , , , .
- 2002. Xylem structure and the ascent of sap, 2nd edn. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 1994. Hydraulic architecture in Acer saccharum and A. rubrum: comparison of branches to whole trees and the contribution of leaves to hydraulic resistance. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 179–186. , .
- 1998. Hydraulic architecture and water use of selected species from a lower montane forest in Panama. Trees 12: 302–309. , , , .