Reproductive limits of a late-flowering high-mountain Mediterranean plant along an elevational climate gradient
Version of Record online: 17 NOV 2006
Volume 173, Issue 2, pages 367–382, January 2007
How to Cite
Giménez-Benavides, L., Escudero, A. and Iriondo, J. M. (2007), Reproductive limits of a late-flowering high-mountain Mediterranean plant along an elevational climate gradient. New Phytologist, 173: 367–382. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01932.x
- Issue online: 17 NOV 2006
- Version of Record online: 17 NOV 2006
- Received: 23 June 2006 Accepted: 7 September 2006
- 2002. Reconstructing air temperature at eleven remote alpine and arctic lakes in Europe from 1781 to 1997 AD. Journal of Paleolimnology 28: 7–23. , .
- 1997. Response to simulated climatic change in an alpine and subarctic pollen-risk strategist, Silene acaulis. Global Change Biology 3: 74–79. , .
- 2001. Female reproductive success of narrow endemic Erodium paularense in contrasting microhabitats. Ecology 82: 1734–1747. , , .
- 1998. Crop evapotranspiration – guidelines for computing crop water requirements. FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper 56. Rome: FAO. , , , .
- 1999. Response patterns of tundra plant species to experimental warming, a meta-analysis of the International Tundra Experiment. Ecological Monographs 69: 491–511. , , et al.
- 1981. Reproductive synchrony of a tropical shrub, experimental studies on effects of pollinators and seed predators on Hybantus prunifolius (Violaceae). Ecology 63: 775–788. .
- 2004. Extreme climatic events and their evolution under changing climatic conditions. Global and Planetary Change 44: 1–9. , .
- 1989. eqs structural equations program manual. Los Angeles, CA, USA: BMDP Statistical Software. .
- 1980. Significance tests and goodness of fit in the analysis of covariance structures. Psychometrika 45: 289–308. , .
- 1968. The ecology of arctic and alpine plants. Biology Reviews 43: 481–529. , .
- 1989. Structural equations with latent variables. New York: Wiley. .
- 2002. Mechanisms blocking Pinus sylvestris colonization of Mediterranean mountain meadows. Journal of Vegetation Science 13: 725–731. , , .
- 2004. Seedling establishment of a boreal tree species (Pinus sylvestris) at its southernmost distribution limit, consequences of being in a marginal, Mediterranean habitat. Journal of Ecology 92: 266–277. , , , .
- 2006. Positive interactions between alpine plant species and the nurse cushion plant Laretia acaulis do not increase with elevation in the Andes of central Chile. New Phytologist 169: 59–69. , , , , .
- 1998. cropwat for windows: user guide. Southampton, UK: University of Southampton. , , .
- 1970. Maximum summer temperature in relation to the modern and quaternary distributions of certain arctic-montane species in the British Isles. In: Walker D, West RG, eds. Studies in the vegetational history of the British Isles. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 159–223. , .
- 2005. Niche construction through phenological plasticity: life history dynamics and ecological consequences. New Phytologist 166: 83–92. .
- 2003. Patterns of shrub invasion into high mountain grasslands of the Northern Calcareous Alps, Austria. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research 35: 434–441. , , .
- 2002. Variability and trends in the annual snow cover cycle in Northern Hemisphere land areas, 1972–2000. Hydrological Processes 16: 3065–3077. .
- 2000. Climate extremes: observations, modeling, and impacts. Science 289: 2068. , , , , , .
- 2005. Patch dynamics and islands of fertility in a high mountain Mediterranean community. Arctic, Antarctic and Alpine Research 36: 518–527. , , , .
- 2001. Constraint to adaptive evolution in response to global warming. Science 294: 151–154. , .
- 1997. Effects of sample size and nonnormality on the estimation of mediated effects in latent variable models. Structural Equation Modeling 4: 87–107. , , .
- 2003. Flowering phenology and compensation for herbivory in Ipomopsis aggregata. Oecologia 136: 394–401. , , .
- 1990. Limits to the distribution of alpine tundra plants, herbivores and the skypilot, Polemonium viscosum. Oikos 59: 355–358. .
- 1995. Responses of snowbed plant species to changes in growing season length. Ecology 76: 1546–1557. , .
- 1999. Age structure of Juniperus communis L. in the Iberian peninsula: conservation of remnant populations in Mediterranean mountains. Biological Conservation 87: 215–220. , , , .
- 2002. Spatial structure and interactions in Mediterranean high mountain vegetation (Sistema Central, Spain). Israel Journal of Plant Sciences 50: 217–228. , , , .
- 2004. Endemic flora biodiversity in the south of the Iberian Peninsula, altitudinal distribution, life forms and dispersal modes. Biodiversity and Conservation 13: 2641–2660. , , , , .
- 2005. Seed germination of high mountain Mediterranean species, altitudinal, interpopulation and interannual variability. Ecological Research 20: 433–444. , , .
- 1994. Climate effects on mountain plants. Nature 369: 448. , , .
- 2000. Recent warming in a high mountain lake (Laguna Cimera, Central Spain) inferred by means of fossil chironomids. Journal of Limnology 59: 109–119. , .
- 2006. Is evolution necessary for range expansion? Manipulating reproductive timing of a weedy annual transplanted beyond its range. The American Naturalist 167: 153–164. , .
- 1994. Changes of snow cover, temperature, and radiative heat balance over the Northern Hemisphere. Journal of Climate 7: 1633–1656. , , , .
- 2003. Extreme events as shaping physiology, ecology, and evolution of plants: toward a unified definition and evaluation of their consequences. New Phytologist 160: 21–42. , .
- 2005. Fecundity limits in Frangula alnus (Rhamnaceae) relict populations at the species’ southern range margin. Oecologia 143: 377–386. .
- 2005. Conserving biodiversity under climate change, the rear edge matters. Ecology Letters 8: 461–467. , .
- 1994. A step-by-step approach to using sas for factor analysis and structural equation modelling. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc. .
- 1991. Dissecting factors responsible for individual variation in plant fecundity. Ecology 72: 1436–1448. .
- 2004. Testing hypotheses for excess flower production and low fruit-to-flower ratios in a pollinating seed-consuming mutualism. Oikos 105: 633–640. , , .
- 1991. Effects of snowpack on the timing and abundance of flowering in Delphinium nelsonii, implications for climate change. American Journal of Botany 78: 997–1001. , .
- 2002. Variation in timing and abundance of flowering by Delphinium barbeyi Huth (Ranunculaceae), the roles of snowpack, frost, and La Niña, in the context of climate change. Oecologia 130: 543–550. , , .
- IPCC. 2001. Climate change 2001: the scientific basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 2003. Structural equation modelling: an alternative for assessing causal relationships in threatened plant populations. Biological Conservation 113: 367–377. , , .
- 2005. Running to stand still: adaptation and the response of plants to rapid climate change. Ecology Letters 8: 1010–1020. , .
- 2003. The role of photoperiodism in alpine plant development. Arctic. Antarctic and Alpine Research 35: 361–368. , .
- 2004. Climate change effects on species interactions in an alpine plant community. Journal of Ecology 93: 127–137. .
- 2005. Effects of range position, inter-annual variation and density on demographic transition rates of Hornungia petraea populations. Oecologia 145: 382–393. , .
- 1999. Alpine plant life. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1991. Effects of snow-free period on the phenology of alpine plants inhabiting snow patches. Arctic and Alpine Research 23: 436–443. .
- 2003. Warming effects on growth, production, and vegetation structure of alpine shrubs, a five-year experiment in northern Japan. Oecologia 135: 280–287. .
- 2006. Habitat-specific responses in the flowering phenology and seed set of alpine plants to climate variation: implications for global-change impacts. Population Ecology 48: 49–58. , .
- 1986. Onset of reproduction in plants. Size versus age-dependency. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 1: 72–76. .
- 1993. Range, population abundance and conservation. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 8: 409–413. .
- 2004. Decline of arctic–alpine plants at the southern margin of their range following a decade of climatic warming. Journal of Vegetation Science 15: 679–690. , .
- 1996. sas system for mixed models. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc. , , , .
- 1992. Latent variable models. An introduction to factor, path and structural analysis. Mahwah, NJ, USA: Lawrence Erlbaum. .
- 2001. Ecological consequences of recent climate change. Conservation Biology 15: 320–331. .
- 2004. Between-population variation in size-dependent reproduction and reproductive allocation in Pinguicula vulgaris (Lentibulariaceae) and its environmental correlates. Oikos 104: 59–70. , .
- 1993. Path analysis: pollination. In: Scheiner SM, Gurevitch J, eds. Design and analysis of ecological experiments. New York: Chapman & Hall, 211–231. .
- 1994. Effects of floral traits, pollinator visitation and plant size on Ipomopsis aggregata fruit production. American Naturalist 143: 870–889. .
- 1993. Relationships between flowering phenology and life-history strategies in tundra plants. Arctic and Alpine Research 25: 391–402. .
- 2005. Onset of flowering and climate variability in an alpine landscape: a 10-year study from Swedish Lapland. American Journal of Botany 92: 422–431. , , .
- 2005. Characterising spatial and temporal variation in the finite rate of population increase across the northern range boundary of the annual grass Vulpia fasciculata. Oecologia 144: 407–415. , , , .
- 1998. Relationships between flowering phenology, plant size and reproductive success in Lotus corniculatus (Fabaceae). Plant Ecology 139: 35–47. , .
- 2003. Distribution and effectiveness of nivation in Mediterranean mountain, Peñalara (Spain). Geomorphology 54: 157–178. , , .
- 1999. Poleward shifts in geographical ranges of butterfly species associated with regional warming. Nature 399: 579. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Assessing the long-term dynamics of endemic plants at summit habitats. In: Nagy L, Grabherr G, Körner C, Thompson DBA, eds. Alpine biodiversity in Europe. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 95–207. , , , , .
- 2003. A global change-induced biome shift in the Montseny mountains (NE Spain). Global Change Biology 9: 131–140. , .
- 2002. Change plant and animal life cycles from 1952 to 2000 in the Mediteranean Region. Global Change Biology 8: 531–544. , , .
- 2004. Nonintrusive field experiments show different plant responses to warming and drought among sites, seasons, and species in a North–South European gradient. Ecosystems 7: 598–612. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Constraints of flowering phenology in a phryganic (East Mediterranean shrub) community. American Journal of Botany 82: 607–620. , , , .
- 1996. Inferring multiple causality: the limitations of path analysis. Functional Ecology 10: 421–431. , , .
- 1993. Water as a determinant of the distribution of trees at the boundary of the Mediterranean zone. Journal of Ecology 81: 557–566. , .
- 1998. Effects of experimental warming on plant reproductive phenology an a subalpine meadow. Ecology 79: 1261–1271. , .
- 2003. Changes in the high-mountain vegetation of the Central Iberian Peninsula as a probable sign of climate warming. Annals of Botany 92: 273–280. , , , .
- 2004. The role of increasing temperature variability in European summer heatwaves. Nature 427: 332–336. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Cause and correlation in biology, a user's guide to path analysis, structural equations and causal inference. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2000. Evolution in stressful environments. I. Phenotypic variability, phenotypic selection, and response to selection in five distinct environmental stresses. Evolution 54: 93–111. , , .
- 2000. Effects of lengthened growing season and soil warming on the phenology and physiology of Polygonum bistorta. Global Change Biology 6: 357–369. , , .
- 2004. Natural selection favors rapid reproductive phenology in Potentilla pulcherrima (Rosaceae) at opposite ends of a subalpine snowmelt gradient. American Journal of Botany 91: 531–539. .
- 2005. Plant Evolution in the Mediterranean. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 2005. Climate change threats to plant diversity in Europe. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 8245–8250. , , , , .
- 1994. Intraseasonal variation in pollination intensity and seed set in an alpine population of Ranunculus acris in southwestern Norway. Ecography 17: 159–165. .
- 1997. Limitations on reproduction in alpine Ranunculus acris. Canadian Journal of Botany 75: 137–144. .
- 1999. Effects of temperature on performance and phenotypic selection on plant traits in alpine Ranunculus acris. Oecologia 120: 242–252. .
- 2001. Environment-dependent pollen limitation and selection on floral traits in an alpine species. Ecology 82: 2233–2244. .
- 1995. Flora Europaea, 1–5. [Electronic data set supplied by Pankhurst RJ, Royal Botanic Garden of Edinburgh.] , , , , , .
- 1998. Modern applied statistics with s-plus. New York: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 2004. Phenotypic selection and regulation of reproduction in different environments in wild barley. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 17: 1121–1131. , , , .
- 1995. Effects of interannual climate variation on phenology and growth of two alpine forbs. Ecology 76: 1067–1083. , , .
- 1994. Effects of interannual climate variation on aboveground phytomass in alpine vegetation. Ecology 75: 393–408. , .
- 2005. Changes to the elevational limits and extent of species ranges associated with climate change. Ecology Letters 8: 1138–1146. , , , , , .
- 1988. Nectar production, flowering phenology, and strategies for pollination. In: Lovett Doust JL, Lovett Doust L, eds. Plant reproductive ecology. Patterns and strategies. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 157–178. .