The role of freezing in setting the latitudinal limits of mangrove forests
Article first published online: 29 NOV 2006
Volume 173, Issue 3, pages 576–583, February 2007
How to Cite
Stuart, S. A., Choat, B., Martin, K. C., Holbrook, N. M. and Ball, M. C. (2007), The role of freezing in setting the latitudinal limits of mangrove forests. New Phytologist, 173: 576–583. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01938.x
- Issue published online: 29 NOV 2006
- Article first published online: 29 NOV 2006
- Received: 22 August 2006 Accepted: 2 October 2006
- 1988. Salinity tolerance in the mangroves Aegiceras corniculatum and Avicennia marina. 1. Water-use in relation to growth, carbon partitioning, and salt balance. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 15: 447–464. .
- 1996. Comparative ecophysiology of mangrove forest and tropical lowland moist forest. In: Mulkey SS, Chazdon RL, Smith AP, eds. Tropical forest plant ecophysiology. New York, NY, USA: Chapman & Hall, 461–496. .
- 2000. Stem hydraulic supply is linked to leaf photosynthetic capacity: evidence from New Caledonian and Tasmanian rainforests. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1381–1388. , .
- 2003. Relation between stomatal closure, leaf turgor and xylem vulnerability in eight tropical dry forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 443–450. , , , .
- 2001. Comparative wood anatomy. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2001. Hydraulic properties and freezing-induced cavitation in sympatric evergreen and deciduous oaks with contrasting habitats. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 1243–1256. , .
- 2006. Direct measurements of intervessel pit membrane hydraulic resistance in two angiosperm tree species. American Journal of Botany 93: 993–1000. , , , , .
- 1916. Plant succession: an analysis of the development of vegetation. Washington, DC, USA: Carnegie Institute of Washington. .
- 2002. Unraveling the effects of plant hydraulics on stomatal closure during water stress in walnut. Plant Physiology 128: 282–290. , , , .
- Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology. 2001. Climate averages for Australian sites – averages for Moruya Heads pilot station. [http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_069018.shtml.]
- Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology. 2006. Climate averages for Australian sites – averages for Batemans Bay (Catalina Country Club). [http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_069134.shtml.]
- 2002. Effects of summer drought and winter freezing on stem hydraulic conductivity of Rhododendron species from contrasting climates. Tree Physiology 22: 919–928. , .
- 1999. The relationship between xylem conduit diameter and cavitation caused by freezing. American Journal of Botany 86: 1367–1372. , , .
- 1990. Phenological trends with latitude in the mangrove tree Avicennia marina. Journal of Ecology 78: 113–133. .
- 1998. Factors influencing biodiversity and distributional gradients in mangroves. Global Ecology and Biogeography Letters 7: 27–47. , , .
- 2001. Stem water transport and freeze-thaw induced embolism in conifers and angiosperms in a Tasmanian treeline heath. Oecologia 127: 314–320. , .
- 1994. The climate of and weather of Florida. Sarasota, FL, USA: Pineapple Press. , , .
- 1997. Xylem dysfunction caused by water stress and freezing in two species of co-occurring chaparral shrubs. Plant, Cell & Environment 20: 425–437. , , .
- 1992. Forest-savanna boundaries: general considerations. In: Furley PA, Proctor J, Ratter JA, eds. Nature and dynamics of forest-savanna boundaries. New York, NY, USA: Chapman & Hall, 37–62. , .
- 2005. Sap salinity effects on xylem conductivity in two mangrove species. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 1285–1292. , , .
- 1977. Impact of low temperature stress on mangrove structure and growth. Tropical Ecology 18: 149–161. , .
- 1982. Latitudinal differentiation in response to chilling temperatures among populations of three mangroves, Avicennia germinans, Laguncularia racemosa, and Rhizophora mangle, from the western tropical Atlantic and Pacific Panama. Canadian Journal of Botany 60: 2704–2715. , , .
- 1998. Daily embolism and refilling of xylem vessels in the roots of field-grown maize. New Phytologist 138: 327–342. , , .
- 2000. The reliability of cryoSEM for the observation and quantification of xylem embolisms and quantitative analysis of xylem sap in situ. Journal of Microscopy 198: 24–33. , , , , , .
- 1971. Environmental factors affecting seedling establishment of the black mangrove on the central Texas coast. Ecology 52: 927–930. .
- 1975. Adaptive differentiation to chilling in mangrove populations. In: Walsh GE, Snedaker SC, Teas HJ, eds. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Biology and Management of Mangroves, Vol. 1. Gainesville, FL, USA: EPA, University of Florida. 62–68. .
- 1986. The chilling tolerance of black mangrove, Avicennia germinans, from the Gulf of Mexico coast of Texas, Louisiana and Florida. Contributions in Marine Science 29: 9–16. , .
- 2001. Water relations of coastal and estuarine Rhizophora mangle: xylem pressure potential and dynamics of embolism formation and repair. Oecologia 126: 182–192. , , , , , , .
- 1986. Wetlands. New York, NY, USA: Van Nostrand Reinhold. , .
- NOAA-CIRES. 2002. Climatology for Jacksonville NAS FL; Climatology for Daytona Beach Florida. [http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/USclimate/state.pl?lane=fast&state=FL.]
- 2003. Tracheid diameter is the key trait determining the extent of freezing-induced embolism in conifers. Tree Physiology 23: 907–914. , .
- 1997. Freezing-induced xylem cavitation and the northern limit of Larrea tridentata. Oecologia 109: 19–27. , .
- 1981. Freezing resistance of trees of the south temperate zone, especially sub alpine species of Australasia. Ecology 62: 563–570. , , .
- 2004. Leaf photosynthetic traits scale with hydraulic conductivity and wood density in Panamanian forest canopy trees. Oecologia 140: 543–550. , , , , , , .
- 1968. How mangroves desalinate seawater. Physiologia Plantarum 21: 251–&;. .
- 1962. Salt balance in mangroves. Plant Physiology 37: 722–729. , , , .
- 1964. Hydrostatic pressure and osmotic potential in leaves of mangroves and some other plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 52: 119–125. , , , .
- 1955. Relationship between grass density and brush seedling survival. Ecology 36: 226–238. , , .
- 1986. Survival of red mangrove, Rhizophora mangle, on the Gulf of Mexico coast of Texas. Contributions in Marine Science 29: 27–36. , , .
- 1997. World mangrove atlas. Okinawa, Japan: International Society for Mangrove Ecosystems. , , .
- 1994. Xylem embolism in ring-porous, diffuse-porous, and coniferous trees of northern Utah and interior Alaska. Ecology 75: 1736–1752. , , , .
- 1992. Xylem embolism in response to freeze-thaw cycles and water-stress in ring-porous, diffuse-porous and conifer species. Plant Physiology 100: 605–613. , .
- 1988. Vulnerability of xylem to embolism in a mangrove vs. an inland species of Rhizophoraceae. Physiologia Plantarum 74: 276–283. , , .
- 1994. The botany of mangroves. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2002. Xylem structure and the ascent of sap. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 2005. High-resolution time series of vessel density in Kenyan mangrove trees reveal a link with climate. New Phytologist 167: 425–435. , , , , .
- 2005. Inter-vessel pitting and cavitation in woody Rosaceae and other vesselled plants: a basis for a safety versus efficiency trade-off in xylem transport. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 800–812. , , , .
- 1981. Vessel length distribution in stems of some American woody plants. Canadian Journal of Botany 59: 1882–1892. , .
- 2001. Hydrogel control of xylem hydraulic resistance in plants. Science 291: 1059–1062. , , .