Cavitation in plants at low temperature: is sap transport limited by the tensile strength of water as expected from Briggs’ Z-tube experiment?
Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2006
Volume 173, Issue 3, pages 571–575, February 2007
How to Cite
Cochard, H., Barigah, T., Herbert, E. and Caupin, F. (2007), Cavitation in plants at low temperature: is sap transport limited by the tensile strength of water as expected from Briggs’ Z-tube experiment?. New Phytologist, 173: 571–575. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01947.x
- Issue online: 8 DEC 2006
- Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2006
- Received: 26 July 2006 Accepted: 12 October 2006
- 1950. Limiting negative pressure of water. Journal of Applied Physics. 21: 721–722. .
- 2002. A technique for measuring xylem hydraulic conductance under high negative pressures. Plant, Cell & Environment. 25: 815–819. .
- 2005. Evaluation of a new centrifuge technique for rapid generation of xylem vulnerability curves. Physiologia Plantarum. 124: 410–418. , , , , , .
- 2004. Analysis of circular bordered pit function – II. Gymnosperm tracheids with torus–margo pit membranes. American Journal of Botany 91: 386–400. , , .
- 2005. Limit of metastability of water under tension: theories and experiments. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 17: S3597–S3602. , .
- 2003. Winter at the alpine timberline. Why does embolism occur in Norway spruce but not in stone pine? Plant Physiology 131: 780–792. , , .
- 1998. A mathematical and statistical analysis of the curves illustrating vulnerability of xylem to cavitation. Tree Physiology 18: 589–593. , .
- 1981. The ascent of sap in plants. Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology 37: 181–229. .
- 1976. Superheated liquids. American Scientist 64: 146–156. .
- 1882. On the internal cohesion of liquids and the suspension of a column of mercury to a height of more than double that of a barometer. Memoirs of the Literary and Philosophical Society of Manchester 7: 1–19. .
- 1991. Negative pressure generated by octopus suckers: a study of the tensile strength of water in nature. Journal of Experimental Biology 157: 257–271. .
- 2002. Desert shrub water relations with respect to soil characteristics and plant functional type. Functional Ecology 16: 367–378. , .
- 1988. Mechanism of water stress-induced xylem embolism. Plant Physiology 88: 581–587. , .
- 1970. Untersuchung der Kavitationskeime an der Grenzfläche Quarzglas-Wasser nach der Zentrifugenmethode. Zeitschrift Fur Angewandte Physik 29: 349–357. , .
- 1946. The behaviour of water under hydrostatic tension. Proceedings of the Physical Society 58: 420–436. , .
- 2002. Xylem structure and the ascent of sap. Berlin, Germany: Springer Verlag. , .
- 1991. Liquids at large negative pressures: water at the homogeneous nucleation limit. Science 254: 829–832. , , , .