Role of light and jasmonic acid signaling in regulating foliar phloem cell wall ingrowth development
Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2006
Volume 173, Issue 4, pages 722–731, March 2007
How to Cite
Amiard, V., Demmig-Adams, B., Mueh, K. E., Turgeon, R., Combs, A. F. and Adams, W. W. (2007), Role of light and jasmonic acid signaling in regulating foliar phloem cell wall ingrowth development. New Phytologist, 173: 722–731. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01954.x
- Issue online: 8 DEC 2006
- Version of Record online: 8 DEC 2006
- Received: 2 October 2006 Accepted: 27 October 2006
- 2002. Photosynthesis and photoprotection in overwintering plants. Plant Biology 4: 545–557. , , , .
- 2004. Photoprotective strategies of overwintering evergreens. Bioscience 54: 41–49. , , .
- 2005. Anatomical and photosynthetic acclimation to light environment in species with differing mechanisms of phloem loading. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 12968–12973. , , , , ,
- 2000. Sucrose transport-related genes are expressed in both maternal and filial tissues of developing wheat grains. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 1009–1020. , , , , , .
- 1995. A chloroplast lipoxygenase is required for wound-induced jasmonic acid accumulation in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 8675–8679. , , .
- 2002. Jasmonate-related mutants of Arabidopsis as tools for studying stress signaling. Planta 214: 497–504. .
- 2005. Signal crosstalk and induced resistance: straddling the line between cost and benefit. Annual Review of Phytopathology 43: 545–580. .
- 1994. Asymmetric distribution of the plasma membrane H+-ATPase in embryos of Vicia faba L. with special reference to transfer cells. Planta 193: 392–397. , , , .
- 1999. Signal transduction networks and the biology of plant cells. Biology Research 32: 35–60. , , , , , , , , .
- 1981. Polarographic measurement of photosynthetic oxygen evolution by leaf discs. New Phytologist 89: 165–178. , .
- 2005. Jasmonate-regulated Arabidopsis stress signaling network. Physiologia Plantarum 123: 161–172. , .
- 1995. Accumulation of mild and severe strains of tobacco mosaic virus in minor veins of tobacco. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 8: 32–40. , , , .
- 1998. Tobamovirus and potyvirus accumulation in minor veins of inoculated leaves from representatives of the Solanaceae and Fabaceae. Plant Physiology 116: 125–136. , , , .
- 2005. Systemic response to aphid infestation by Myzus persicae in the phloem of Apium graveolens. Plant Molecular Biology 57: 517–540. , , , , , , .
- 2002a. The Arabidopsis mutant cev1 links cell wall signaling to jasmonate and ethylene responses. Plant Cell 14: 1557–1566. , , , .
- 2002b. Constitutive activation of jasmonate signaling in an Arabidopsis mutant correlates with enhanced resistance to Erysiphe cichoracearum, Pseudomonas syringae, and Myzus persicae. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 1025–1030. , , .
- 1995. Plastids features and transfer cells occurrence in the phloem of Portulaca mucronata and P. hirsutissima (Portulacaceae). Acta Societatia Botanicum Poloniae 64: 149–153. , .
- 2004. Regulation of membrane fatty acid composition by temperature in mutants of Arabidopsis with alterations in membrane lipid composition. BMC Plant Biology 4: 17. doi: 10.1186/1471-2229-4-17. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2229/4/17 , , .
- 1996. How do viruses traffic on the ‘vascular highway’? Trends in Plant Science 1: 260 –268. , .
- 1969. ‘Transfer cells’: plant cells with wall ingrowths, specialized in relation to short distance transport of solutes – their occurrence, structure, and development. Protoplasma 68: 107–133. , .
- 1974. Transfer cells. In: RobardsAW, ed. dynamic aspects of plant ultrastructure. London: McGraw-Hill, 441–479. , .
- 2003. Antisense LOX expression increases herbivore performance by decreasing defense responses and inhibiting growth-related transcriptional reorganization in Nicotiana attenuata. Plant Journal 36: 794–807. , .
- 2000. Minor vein structure and sugar transport in Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta 211: 105–111. , , .
- 1997. Cell specific expression of three genes involved in plasma membrane sucrose transport in developing Vicia faba seed. Protoplasma 197: 160–173. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Enzymes of jasmonate biosynthesis occur in tomato sieve elements. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 643–648. , , , , .
- 2001. Cytological observations of the infection process by Phomopsis helianthi (Munt.-Cvet) in leaves of sunflower. Journal of Phytopathology 149: 347–357. , .
- 1980. A re-examination of the induction of phloem transfer cell development in pea leaves (Pisum sativum). Plant, Cell & Environment 3: 377–380. , .
- 2004. Jasmonates as signals in the wound response. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 23: 223–237. .
- 2002. Oxylipin metabolism in response to stress. Current Opinion in Plant Science 5: 230–236. , .
- 2003. Aphid-induced defense responses in Mi-1-mediated compatible and incompatible tomato interactions. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 16: 699–708. , , .
- 1996. Cytochemistry of defense responses in cassava infected by Xanthomonas campestris pv. manihotis. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 42: 1131– 1143. , , , , .
- 2003. A comparison of the sucrose transporter systems of different plant species. Plant Biology 5: 215–232. .
- 2005. Singlet oxygen and photo-oxidative stress management in plants and algae. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 1037–1045. , .
- 2000. A pigment-binding protein essential for regulation of photosynthetic light harvesting. Nature 403: 391–395. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Connections between virus movement, macromolecular signaling and assimilate allocation. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 2: 192–197. , .
- 1997. Involvement of 5-lipoxygenase in programmed cell death of cancer cells. Cell Death and Differentiation 4: 396–402. , , , .
- 1997. Exogenous jasmonic and abscisic acids act differentially in elongating tissues from oat stem segments. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 16: 11–19. .
- 2004. The upstream oxylipin profile of Arabidopsis thaliana: a tool to scan for oxidative stress. Plant Journal 40: 439–451. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular responses to aphid feeding in Arabidopsis in relation to plant defense pathways. Plant Physiology 125: 1074–1085. , .
- 2004. The cellular localization of prosystemin: a functional role for phloem parenchyma in systemic wound signaling. Planta 218: 360–369. , .
- 2005. The plant cell wall matrix harbors a precursor of defense signaling peptides. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 12974–12977. , , .
- 2003. Loss of a callose synthase results in salicylic acid-dependent disease resistance. Science 301: 969–972. , , , , , .
- 1998. Arabidopsis mutants define a central role for the xanthophyll cycle in the regulation of photosynthetic energy conversion. Plant Cell 10: 1121–1134. , , .
- 2000. Interacting signal pathways control defense gene expression in Arabidopsis in response to cell wall-degrading enzymes from Erwinia carotovora. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 13: 430–438. , , .
- 2003. Transfer cells: cells specialized for a special purpose. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 431–454. , , , .
- 2006. Identification of expression profiles of sorghum genes in response to greenbug phloem-feeding using cDNA subtraction and microarray analysis. Planta 223: 932–947. , , .
- 1969. Vascular transfer cells in angiosperm leaves. A taxonomic and morphological survey. Protoplasma 68: 135–156. , .
- 1972. Transfer cells. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 23: 173–196. , .
- 1991. Barrier zone formation in host and nonhost trees inoculated with Ophiostoma ulmi. 1. Anatomy and histochemistry. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 2055–2073. , .
- 2006. Seduced by the dark side: integrating molecular and ecological perspectives on the influence of light on plant defence against pests and pathogens. New Phytologist 170: 677–699. , .
- 2005. Coordinated activation of metabolic pathways for antioxidants and defence compounds by jasmonates and their roles in stress tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 44: 653–668. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Formation of transfer cells and H+-ATPase expression in tomato roots under P and Fe deficiency. Planta 215: 304–311. , .
- 2005. Plant virus transport: motions of functional equivalence. Trends in Plant Science 10: 376–382. .
- 1993. Callose reaction induced in melon leaves by feeding of melon aphid, Aphis gossypii Glover as possible aphid-resistant factor. Japanese Journal of Applied Entomolgy and Zoology 3: 145–152. .
- 2004. Energization of transport processes in plants. Roles of the plasma membrane H+-ATPase. Plant Physiology 136: 2475–2482. , , .
- 1992. Methyl jasmonate inhibition of root growth and induction of a leaf protein are decreased in an Arabidopsis thaliana mutant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 6837–6840. , , .
- 2003. Allene oxide cyclase dependence of the wound response and vascular bundle-specific generation of jasmonates in tomato – amplification in wound signalling. Plant Journal 33: 577–589. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Plant defense in the absence of jasmonic acid: the role of cyclopentenones. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 12837–12842. , , , , .
- 1995. Involvement of the accumulation of sucrose and the synthesis of cell wall polysaccharides in the expansion of potato cells in response to jasmonic acid. Plant Science 111: 11–18. , , , .
- 2003. Potato leafroll virus: a classic pathogen shows some new tricks. Molecular Plant Pathology 4: 81–89. , , .
- 1999. Sucrose transport into developing seeds of Pisum sativum L. Plant Journal 18: 151–161. , , , , .
- 2004. The role of jasmonate response in plant susceptibility to diverse pathogens with a range of lifestyles. Plant Physiology 135: 530–538. , , .
- 1998. Separate jasmonate-dependent and salicylate-dependent defense-response pathways in Arabidopsis are essential for resistance to distinct microbial pathogens. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 15107–15111. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Transcriptomics and functional genomics of plant defence induction by phloem-feeding insects. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 755–766. , .
- 2005. Pathways and mechanisms of phloem loading. In: HolbrookNM, ZwienieckiMA, eds. Vascular transport in plants. Oxford, UK: Elsevier/AP, 45–67. , .
- 2005. The phytotoxin coronatine and methyl jasmonate impact multiple phytohormone pathways in tomato. Plant Journal 42: 201–217. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Mutations in PMR5 result in powdery mildew resistance and altered cell wall composition. Plant Journal 40: 968–978. , , , .
- 2004. The ins and outs of nondestructive cell-to-cell systemic movement of plant viruses. Critical Reviews in Plant Science 23: 195–250. , , , .
- 2000. The myriad plant responses to herbivores. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 19: 195–216. .
- 1991. Transfer cells and solute uptake in minor veins of Pisum sativum leaves. Planta 186: 2–12. , .
- 2005. Methyl jasmonate stimulates the de novo biosynthesis of vitamin C in plant cell suspensions. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2527–2538. , , .
- 2002. Citrus tristeza virus ultrastructure and associated cytopathology in Citrus sinensis and Citrus aurantifolia. Canadian Journal of Botany 80: 512–525. , , , , , .
- 2004. Transcriptional regulation of sorghum defense determinants against a phloem-feeding aphid. Plant Physiology 134: 420–431. , , , .