Plant growth, biomass partitioning and soil carbon formation in response to altered lignin biosynthesis in Populus tremuloides
Article first published online: 21 DEC 2006
Volume 173, Issue 4, pages 732–742, March 2007
How to Cite
Hancock, J. E., Loya, W. M., Giardina, C. P., Li, L., Chiang, V. L. and Pregitzer, K. S. (2007), Plant growth, biomass partitioning and soil carbon formation in response to altered lignin biosynthesis in Populus tremuloides. New Phytologist, 173: 732–742. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2006.01965.x
- Issue published online: 21 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 21 DEC 2006
- Received: 2 August 2006 Accepted: 7 November 2006
- 1990. Predicting long-term patterns of mass loss, nitrogen dynamics, and soil organic matter formation from initial fine litter chemistry in temperate forest ecosystems. Canadian Journal of Botany 68: 2201–2208. , , .
- 2003. Efficiency of lignin biosynthesis: a quantitative analysis. Annals of Botany 9: 673–695. .
- 1998. The isotopic composition of soil and soil-respired CO2. Geoderma 82: 83–114. , , , .
- 2003. Soil resources regulate productivity and diversity in newly established tallgrass prairie. Ecology 84: 724–735. , , , .
- 1996. Plant disease resistance genes: function meets structure. Plant Cell 8: 1757–1771. .
- 1994. RPS2 of Arabidopsis thaliana: a leucine-rich repeat class of plant disease resistance genes. Science 265: 1856–1860. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Litter mass–loss rates and decomposition patterns in some needle and leaf litter types. Long-term decomposition in a Scots pine forest. VII. Canadian Journal of Botany 69: 1449–1456. , .
- 1985. Decomposition of needles and root litter in lodgepole pine and Scots pine monocultural systems. Plant and Soil 138: 123–132. , .
- 2004. Stomatal development and pattern controlled by a MAPKK Kinase. Science 304: 1494–1497. , , .
- 1998. Why do tree species affect soils? The warp and woof of tree–soil interactions. Biogeochemistry 42: 89–106. , .
- 1996. Catechin, proanthocyanidin and lignin contents of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) needles after chronic exposure to ozone. New Phytologist 132: 483–492. , , .
- 2000. Asymmetric leaves mediate leaf patterning and stem cell function in Arabidopsis. Nature 408: 967–971. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Decomposition of roots of black alder and hybrid poplar in short rotation plantings – nitrogen and lignin control. Plant and Soil 138: 123–132. , , .
- 2000. Organic matter transformations during the weathering process of spent mushroom substrate. Journal of Environmental Quality 29: 592–602. , , .
- 2002. Fine-root decomposition and N dynamics in coniferous forests of the Pacific Northwest, USA. Canadian Journal of Forest Resources 32: 321–321. , , , .
- 1999. Soil carbon dynamics in corn-based agroecosystems: results from carbon-13 natural abundance. Soil Science Society of America Journal 63: 584–591. , , , , , , .
- 1999. The development of symmetry, rigidity, and anchorage in the structural root system of conifers. Plant and Soil 217: 1–15. , , .
- 2004. The transcriptional control of plant responses to phosphate limitation. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 285–293. , , , , , .
- 2004. An approach to the genetics of nitrogen use efficiency in maize. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 295–306. , .
- 2004. Belowground carbon cycling in a humid tropical forest decreases with fertilization. Oecologia 139: 545–550. , , , .
- 2001. Tree species and soil textural controls on carbon and nitrogen mineralization rates. Soil Science Society of American Journal 65: 1272–1279. , , , .
- 2000. Nutrient concentrations in fine roots. Ecology 81: 275–280. , .
- 2002. Differential substrate inhibition couples kinetically distinct 4-coumarate:coenzyme A ligases with spatially distinct metabolic roles in quaking aspen. Plant Physiology 128: 428–438. , , , .
- 1996. Above– and below–ground characteristics associated with wind topping in a young Populus plantation. Trees 11: 109–118. , .
- 2005. Rising atmospheric CO2 reduces sequestration of root derived soil carbon. Science 309: 1711–1713. , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Degradation of carbohydrates and lignins in buried woods. Geochemica Cosmochimica Acta 49: 701–711. , , , , .
- 2000. Nitrogen controls on fine root substrate quality in temperate forest ecosystems. Ecosystems 3: 57–69. , , , .
- 1992. The dilemma of plants – to grow or defend. Quarterly Review of Biology 67: 283–335. , .
- 1997. Biochemistry and molecular biology of wood. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 1998. Agrobacterium tumefaciens-mediated transformation of Eucalyptus camaldulensis and production of transgenic plants. Plant Cell Reports 17: 675–680. , , , , , .
- 2004. Isotopic estimates of new carbon inputs into litter and soils in a four-year climate change experiment with Douglas-fir. Plant and Soil 259: 331–343. , , , , .
- 1998. Compartmentalized expression of two structurally and functionally distinct 4-coumaric acid:coenzyme A ligase (4CL) genes in aspen (Populus tremuloides). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 5470–5412. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Repression of lignin biosynthesis promotes cellulose accumulation and growth in transgenic trees. Nature Biotechnology 17: 808–812. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Linking molecular insight and ecological research. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 17: 409–414. , , , , , .
- 2000. The vertical distribution of soil organic carbon and its relation to climate and vegetation. Ecological Applications 10: 423–436. , .
- 2001. Organic matter quality in ecological studies: theory meets experiment. Oikos 93: 451–458. , , , .
- 1997. The consequence of peroxidase overexpression in transgenic plants on root growth and development. Plant Molecular Biology 33: 887–895. , , , .
- 2000. 5-Hydroxyconiferyl aldehyde modulates enzymatic methylation for syringyl monolignol formation, a new view of monolignol biosynthesis in angiosperms. Journal of Biological Chemistry 275: 6537–6545. , , , .
- 2003. Combinatorial modification of multiple lignin traits in trees through multigene cotransformation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 4939–4944. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The changes in soil organic matter in a forest-cultivation sequence traced by stable carbon isotopes. Australian Journal of Soil Research 41: 1317–1327. , , , .
- 2003. Reduction of soil carbon formation by tropospheric ozone under increased carbon dioxide levels. Nature 425: 705–707. , , , , .
- 1998. Long-term effects of experimental nitrogen additions on foliar litter decay and humus formation in forest ecosystems. Plant and Soil 203: 301–311. , .
- 1998. Functional genomics: probing plant gene function and expression with transposons. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 2020–2026. .
- 1987. Cellulose, lignin, and nitrogen concentrations as rate regulating factors in late stages of forest litter decomposition. Pedobiologia 80: 101–112. , .
- 1982. Nitrogen and lignin control of hardwood leaf litter decomposition Dynamics. Ecology 63: 621–626. , , .
- 2003. Tracing changes in ecosystem function under elevated carbon dioxide conditions. Bioscience 53: 805–818. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Soil microbiology and biochemistry. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. , .
- 2002. Field and pulping performances of transgenic trees with altered lignification. Nature Biotechnology 20: 607–612. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Leaf area ratio and net assimilation rate of 24 wild species differing in relative growth rate. Oecologia 12: 553–559. , .
- 1995. Atmospheric CO2, soil nitrogen and fine root turnover. New Phytologist 129: 579–585. , , , , , .
- 2006. Soil respiration in northern forests exposed to elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide and ozone. Oecologia (In press.) , , , .
- 2004. Effects of sustainable management practices on fine-root systems in willow (Salix viminalis, S. dasyclados), grey alder (Alnus incana) and Norway spruce (Picea abies) stands. PhD Thesis. Uppsala, Sweden: Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences. .
- 1998. Close association of RGR, leaf and root morphology, seed mass and shade tolerance in seedlings of nine boreal tree species grown in high and low light. Functional Ecology 12: 327–338. , , , , .
- 1991. Forest-BGC., A general model of forest ecosystem processes for regional applications. II. Dynamic carbon allocation and nitrogen budgets. Tree Physiology 9: 147–160. , .
- 1998. Soil aggregation and organic matter mineralization in forests and grasslands: plant species effects. Soil Science Society of America Journal 62: 1081–1089. .
- 2001. Global patterns in root decomposition: comparisons of climate and litter quality effects. Oecologia 129: 407–419. , .
- 1990. Estimation of soil microbial C by a fumigation-extraction method: use on soils of high organic content, and a reassessment of the Kec-factor. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 5: 301–307. , , , , .
- 2004. Carbon fluxes to the soil in a mature temperate forest assessed by 13C isotope tracing. Oecologia 141: 489–501. , , , .
- 1994. Humus chemistry: genesis, composition, reactions. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley and Sons. .
- 2001. Photosynthesis, light and nitrogen relationships in a young deciduous forest canopy under open-air CO2 enrichment. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 1257–1268. , , , , , .
- 1994. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides) and regeneration of transgenic plants. Plant Cell Reports 14: 94–97. , , .
- 1998. Suppression of O-methyltransferase gene by homologous sense transgene in quaking aspen causes red-brown wood phenotypes. Plant Physiology 117: 101–112. , , , , , .
- 1987. An extraction method for measuring soil microbial biomass C. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 19: 703–707. , , .
- 1997. Contingent effects of plant species on soils along a regional moisture gradient in the Great Plains. Oecologia 110: 393–402. , .
- 1995. Lignin Biosynthesis. The Plant Cell 7: 1001–1013. , .
- 1998. Recent advances in understanding lignin biosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 585–609. , , .
- 2001. Photosynthesis and light-use efficiency by plants in a Canadian boreal forest ecosystem. Tree Physiology 21: 925–929. , .
- 1994. Plant production and soil microorganisms in late successional ecosystems: a continental-scale study. Ecology 75: 2333–2347. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Integration of ecophysiological and biogeochemical approaches to ecosystem dynamics. In: GroffmanPM, PaceML, eds. Successes, limitations, and frontiers in ecosystem science. New York, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag, 372–403. , .
- 2000. Elevated atmospheric CO2, fine roots and the response of soil microorganisms: a review and hypothesis. New Phytologist 147: 201–222. , , , .