Monitoring in planta bacterial infection at both cellular and whole-plant levels using the green fluorescent protein variant GFPuv
Version of Record online: 15 JAN 2007
Volume 174, Issue 1, pages 212–223, April 2007
How to Cite
Wang, K., Kang, L., Anand, A., Lazarovits, G. and Mysore, K. S. (2007), Monitoring in planta bacterial infection at both cellular and whole-plant levels using the green fluorescent protein variant GFPuv. New Phytologist, 174: 212–223. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.01999.x
- Issue online: 26 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 15 JAN 2007
- Received: 12 October 2006 Accepted: 25 November 2006
- 2002. Regulatory role of SGT1 in early R gene-mediated plant defenses. Science 295: 2077–2080. , , , , , .
- 2002. The RAR1 interactor SGT1, an essential component of R gene-triggered disease resistance. Science 295: 2073–2076. , , , , , .
- 2002. Characterization of mutant tobacco mosaic virus coat protein that nterferes with virus cell-to-cell movement. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 3645–3650. , , , , .
- 1997. Green fluorescent protein as a marker for Pseudomonas spp. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 63: 4543–4551. , , , .
- 2000. Simultaneous imaging of Pseudomonas fluorescens WCS365 populations expressing three different autofluorescent proteins in the rhizosphere: new perspectives for studying microbial communities. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 13: 1170–1176. , , , , .
- 1997. The chloroplast psbA promoter is more efficient in Escherichia coli than the T7 promoter for hyperexpression of a foreign protein. Biotechnology Letters 19: 395–400. , , .
- 1994. Green fluorescent protein as a marker for gene expression. Science 263: 802–805. , , , , .
- 1996. Improved green fluorescent protein by molecular evolution using DNA shuffling. Nature Biotechnology 14: 315–319. , , , .
- 1979. Replication of an origin-containing derivative of plasmid RK2 dependent on a plasmid function provided in trans. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 76: 1648–1652. , .
- 1996. Use of green fluorescent protein to visualize the early events of symbiosis between Rhizobium meliloti and Alfalfa (Medicago sativa). Journal of Bacteriology 178: 7159–7166. , , .
- 2003. Colonization of Vitis vinifera by a green fluorescence protein-labeled, gfp-marked strain of Xylophilus ampelinus, the causal agent of bacterial necrosis of grapevine. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 1904–1912. , .
- 1997. Programmed cell death in plant–pathogen interactions. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 525–545. .
- 2002. An evolutionarily conserved mediator of plant disease resistance gene function is required for normal Arabidopsis development. Developmental Cell 2: 807–817. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Simultaneous visualization of multiple protein interactions in living cells using multicolor fluorescence complementation analysis. Nature Biotechnology 21: 539–545. , .
- 1989. Biochemical characterization of avirulent Agrobacterium tumefaciens chvA mutants: synthesis and excretion of beta-(1–2) glucan. Journal of Bacteriology 171: 2842–2849. , .
- 2004. Pseudomonas type III effector AvrPto suppresses the programmed cell death induced by two nonhost pathogens in Nicotiana benthamiana and tomato. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 17: 1328–1336. , , .
- 1988. Improved broad host-range plasmids for DNA cloning in Gram-negative bacteria. Gene 70: 191–197. , , , .
- 1999. SGT1 encodes an essential component of the yeast kinetochore assembly pathway and a novel subunit of the SCF ubiquitin ligase complex. Molecular Cell 4: 21–33. , , , , .
- 1995. Isolation of lux reporter gene fusions in Pseudomonas fluorescens DG57 inducible by nitrogen or phosphorus starvation. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 17: 95–106. , , , .
- 2002. Novel aspects of tomato root colonization and infection by Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. radicis-lycopersici revealed by confocal laser scanning microscopic analysis using the green fluorescent protein as a marker. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 172–179. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Role of SCF ubiquitin-ligase and the COP9 signalosome in the N gene-mediated resistance response to tobacco mosaic virus. Plant Cell 14: 1483–1496. , , , , .
- 2004. In vivo study of trichoderma–pathogen–plant interactions, using constitutive and inducible green fluorescent protein reporter systems. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 70: 3073–3081. , , , , , .
- 1998. Ethylene regulates the susceptible response to pathogen infection in tomato. Plant Cell 10: 371–382. , , .
- 1987. Characterization of nonattaching mutants of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Journal of Bacteriology 169: 313–323. .
- 2003. Lighting up cells: labeling proteins with fluorophores. Nature Cell Biology 5: S1–S7. , , .
- 1997. The hypersensitive response and the induction of cell death in plants. Cell Death and Differentiation 4: 671–683. , .
- 2003. Use of a green fluorescent strain for analysis of Xylella fastidiosa colonization of Vitis vinifera. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 7319–7327. , , , .
- 1997. Using GFP to study virus invasion and spread in plant tissues. Nature 388: 401–402. , , , , , .
- 2002. Ubiquitin ligase-associated protein SGT1 is required for host and nonhost disease resistance in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 10865–10869. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Agrodrench: a novel and effective agroinoculation method for virus-induced gene silencing in roots and diverse Solanaceous species. Plant Journal 40: 322–331. , , , .
- 2003. Differences between Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae B728a and Pantoea agglomerans BRT98 in epiphytic and endophytic colonization of leaves. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 1220–1228. , .
- 1991. Mutagenesis of Brucella abortus: comparative efficiency of three transposon delivery systems. Microbial Pathogenesis 11: 443–446. , .
- 2005. Influence of Stigmatic morphology on flower colonization by Erwinia amylovora and Pantoea agglomerans. European Journal of Plant Pathology 113: 395–405. , , , , .
- 2001. Visualization of N-acylhomoserine lactone-mediated cell–cell communication between bacteria colonizing the tomato rhizosphere. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 67: 5761–5770. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Use of green fluorescent protein to tag and investigate gene expression in marine bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 64: 2554–2559. , , , .
- 2000. Use of green fluorescent protein color variants expressed on stable broad-host-range vectors to visualize rhizobia interacting with plants. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 13: 1163–1169. , , , , , .
- 2001. Cell-to-cell movement of potato virus X: the role of p12 and p8 encoded by the second and third open reading frames of the triple gene block. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 14: 1158–1167. , .
- 1997. Flow cytometric and microscopic analysis of GFP-tagged Pseudomonas fluorescens bacteria. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 22: 17–28. , , , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis SGT1b is required for defense signaling conferred by several downy mildew resistance genes. Plant Cell 14: 993–1003. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A high-throughput method for quantifying growth of phytopathogenic bacteria in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 28: 475–481. , .
- 1991. Use of a transposon with luciferase as a reporter to identify environmentally responsive genes in Cyanobacterium. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 88: 5355–5359. , , .
- 2002. Creating new fluorescent probes for cell biology. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 3: 906–918. , , , .