Inactivation of a plastid evolutionary conserved gene affects PSII electron transport, life span and fitness of tobacco plants
Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2007
Volume 174, Issue 2, pages 357–366, April 2007
How to Cite
Zapata, J. M., Gasulla, F., Esteban-Carrasco, A., Barreno, E. and Guéra, A. (2007), Inactivation of a plastid evolutionary conserved gene affects PSII electron transport, life span and fitness of tobacco plants. New Phytologist, 174: 357–366. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02001.x
- Issue online: 26 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2007
- Received: 3 November 2006 Accepted: 27 November 2006
- 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress and signal transduction. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 373–399. , .
- 2003. Deletion of the tobacco plastid psbA gene triggers an upregulation of the thylakoid-associated NAD(P)H dehydrogenase complex and the plastid terminal oxidase (PTOX). Plant Journal 35: 704–716. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The present model for chlororespiration. Photosynthesis Research 73: 273–277. .
- 1998. Identification of a functional respiratory complex in chloroplasts through analysis of tobacco mutants containing disrupted plastid ndh genes. EMBO Journal 17: 868–876. , , , , .
- 2001. A plastid terminal oxidase comes to light: implication for carotenoid biosynthesis and chlororespiration. Trends in Plant Science 6: 31–36. , .
- 2000. Chlororespiration and poising of cyclic electron transport: plastoquinone as electron transporter between thylakoid NADH dehydrogenase and peroxidase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 275: 942–948. , , , .
- 2004. Topology of the plastid Ndh complex and its NDH-F subunit thylakoid membranes. Biochemical Journal 15: 145–155. , , , .
- 1997. Expresión of the plastid ndhF gene product in photosynthetic and non-photosynthetic tissues of developing barley seedlings. Plant and Cell Physiology 38: 1382–1388. , , .
- 2004. Molecular analysis of programmed cell death during senescence in Arabidopsis thaliana and Brassica oleracea: cloning broccoli LSD1, Bax inhibitor and serine palmitoyltransferase homologues. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 59–68. , , , , .
- 1993. The xanthophyll cycle, protein turnover, and the high light tolerance of sun-acclimated leaves. Plant Physiology 103: 1413–1420. ,
- 1997. Donation of electrons to plastoquinone by NAD(P)H dehydrogenase and by ferredoxin–quinone reductase in spinach chloroplasts. Plant and Cell Physiology 38: 1272–1277. , , , .
- 1998. NAD(P)H dehydrogenase-dependent, antimycin A-sensitive electron donation to plastoquinone in tobacco chloroplasts. Plant and Cell Physiology 39: 1226–1231. , , , .
- 1999. The role of chloroplastic NAD(P)H dehydrogenase in photoprotection. FEBS Letters 457: 5–8. , , , , .
- 1998. Nonphotochemical reduction of the plastoquinone pool in sunflower leaves originates from chlororespiration. Plant Physiology 116: 1209–1218. , , .
- 1997. Modular evolution of the respiratory NAD: ubiquinone oxidoreductase and the origin of its modules. Journal of Theoretical Biology 187: 529–540. , .
- 1995. The proton-pumping respiratory complex I of bacteria and mitochondria and its homologue in chloroplasts. FEBS Letters 367: 107–111. , , .
- 1995. Inhibition of leaf senescence by autoregulated production of cytokinin. Science 270: 1986–1988. , .
- 1989. The relationship between the quantum yield of photosynthetic electron transport and quenching of chlorophyll fluorescence. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 990: 87–92. , , .
- 2002. Changes in the protein and activity levels of the plastid NADH–plastoquinone–oxidoreductase complex during fruit development. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 40: 423–429. , .
- 2000. Identification of the Ndh (NAD(P)H–plastoquinone–oxidoreductase) complex in etioplast membranes of barley: changes during photomorphogenesis of chloroplasts. Plant and Cell Physiology 41: 49–59. , , .
- 2005. Involvement of the thylakoidal NADH–plastoquinone oxidoreductase complex in the early responses to ozone exposure of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) seedlings. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 205–218. , , , .
- 2005. Leaf senescence: signals, execution, and regulation. Current Topics in Developmental Biology 71: 83–112. , .
- 2005. Control of the light harvesting function of chloroplast membranes: the LHCII-aggregation model for non-photochemical quenching. FEBS Letters 579: 4201–4206. , , .
- 2000. Targeted inactivation of the plastid ndhB gene in tobacco results in an enhanced sensitivity of photosynthesis to moderate stomatal closure. Plant Physiology 123: 1337–1349. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The abundance of minor chlorophyll a/b-binding proteins CP29 and LHCI of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) during leaf senescence is controlled by light. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 375–383. , .
- 2005. Ethylene-induced leaf senescence depends on age-related changes and OLD genes in Arabidopsis. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2915–2923. , , , .
- 2001. Increased sensitivity of photosynthesis to antimycin A induced by inactivation of the chloroplast ndhB gene. Evidence for a participation of the NADH-dehydrogenase complex to cyclic electron flow around photosystem I. Plant Physiology 125: 1919–1929. , , , , .
- 2002. Cyclic electron flow around photosystem I in C3 plants. In vivo control by the redox state of chloroplasts and involvement of the NADH-dehydrogenase complex. Plant Physiology 128: 760–769. , , , .
- 1998. Mutagenesis of the genes encoding subunits A, C, H, I, J and K of the plastid NAD(P)H–plastoquinone–oxidoreductase in tobacco by polyethylene glycol-mediated plastome transformation. Molecular and General Genetics 258: 166–173. , , , .
- 2004. New fluorescence parameters for the determination of QA redox state and excitation energy fluxes. Photosynthesis Research 79: 209–218. , , , .
- 1991. Chlorophyll fluorescence and photosynthesis: the basics. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 42: 313–349. , .
- 2004. Plastid terminal oxidase and its biological significance. Planta 218: 896–899. .
- 1997. The oxidative burst in plant disease resistance. Annual Review of Plant Phyisiology and Plant Molecular Biology 48: 251–275. , .
- 2003. Location, expression and orientation of the putative chororespiratory enzymes, Ndh and IMMUTANS, in higher plant plastids. Planta 218: 254–260. , , .
- 1980. Aging and senescence in plant development. In: ThimannKV, ed. Senescence in plants. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 1–12. .
- 2004. The function of the chloroplastic NAD(P)H dehydrogenase in tobacco during chilling stress under low irradiance. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 103–108. , , , , .
- 1987. Chlorophylls and carotenoids pigment of photosynthetic biomembranes. Methods in Enzymology 148: 350–382. .
- 1951. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. Journal of Biological Chemistry 193: 265–275. , , , .
- 1993. Role of ascorbate in detoxifying ozone in the apoplast of spinach (Spinacia oleracea L.) leaves. Plant Physiology 101: 969–976. , , .
- 2004. Role of thylakoid Ndh complex and peroxidase in the protection against photo-oxidative stress: fluorescence and enzyme activities in wild-type and ndhF-deficient tobacco. Physiologia Plantarum 122: 443–452. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Six chloroplast genes (ndhA–F) homologous to human mitochondrial genes encoding components of the respiratory chain NADH-dehydrogenase are actively expressed: determination of the splice sites in ndhA and ndhB pre-mRNAs. Molecular and General Genetics 210: 385–393. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Senescence-associated gene expression during ozone-induced leaf senescence in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 120: 1015–1023. , , .
- 2002. PGR5 is involved in cyclic electron flow around photosystem I and is essential for photoprotection in Arabidopsis. Cell 110: 361–371. , , , , , .
- 2004. Cyclic electron flow around photosystem I is essential for photosynthesis. Nature 429: 579–582. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Expression of senescence-enhanced genes in response to oxidative stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 2285–2292. , , , , , .
- 1978. Phytohormones and the endogenous regulation of senescence and abscission. In: LethamD, GoodwinPB, HigginsTJV, eds. Phytohormones and related compounds, Vol. II. Amsterdam: Elsevier, 329–369. , .
- 1997. Senescence mechanisms. Physiologia Plantarum 101: 746–753. , , .
- 1975. High resolution two-dimensional gel electrophoresis of protein. Journal of Biological Chemistry 250: 4007–4021. .
- 2002. Chlororespiration. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 523–550. , .
- 2006. Stimulation of chlororespiration by heat and high light intensity in oat plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1463–1470. .
- 1995. Amelioration of ozone-induced oxidative damage in wheat plants grown under high carbon dioxide (role of antioxidant enzymes). Plant Physiology 109: 421–432. , , .
- 1998. The chloroplast Ndh complex mediates the dark reduction of the plastoquinone pool in response to heat stress in tobacco leaves. FEBS Letters 429: 115–118. , , .
- 1994. Analysis of molecular masses and oligomeric states of protein complexes by blue native electrophoresis and isolation of membrane complexes by two dimensional native electrophoresis. Annals of Biochemistry 199: 220–230. , , .
- 1989. Continuous recording of photochemical and non-photochemical fluorescence quenching with a new type of modulation fluorometer. Photosynthesis Research 10: 51–56. , , .
- 1998. Directed disruption of the tobacco ndhB gene impairs cyclic electron flow around photosystem I. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 9705–9709. , , , , , .
- 1994. Gene expression during leaf senescence. New Phytologist 126: 419–448. .
- 2003. Physiological characterization of ‘ stay green’ mutants in durum wheat. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1415–1420. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Light and oxygenic photosynthesis: energy dissipation as a protection mechanism against photo-oxidation. EMBO Reports 5: 629–634. , , .
- 2002. Post-illumination reduction of the plastoquinone pool in chloroplast transformants in which chloroplastic NAD(P)H dehydrogenase was inactivated. Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry 66: 2107–2111. , , , .
- 2005. Differential use of two electron flows around photosystem I for driving CO2-concentration mechanism in C4 photosynthesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 16898–16903. , , , , .
- 2003. Defining senescence and death. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1127–1132. , , , .
- 2004. Spatial patterns and metabolic regulation of photosynthetic parameters during leaf senescence. New Phytologist 161: 781–789. , , .
- 2005. Mechanisms of the light-dependent induction of cell death in tobacco plants with delayed senescence. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 2897–2905. , , .
- 2004. The delayed leaf senescence mutants of Arabidopsis, ore1, ore3 and ore9 are tolerant to oxidative stress. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 923–932. , , , .
- 2003. Molecular regulation of leaf senescence. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 79–84. .
- 1998. Identification of a thylakoid peroxidase of barley which oxidizes hydroquinone. Phytochemistry 48: 1119–11123. , , .
- 2005. Chloroplasts regulate leaf senescence: delayed senescence in transgenic ndh-f defective tobacco. Cell Death and Differentiation 12: 1277–1284. , , , , .
- 1999a. Regreening of senescent Nicotiana leaves. I. Reappearance of NADPH-protochlorophyllide oxidoreductase and light harvesting chlorophyll a/b-binding proteins. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1677–1682. , , , , .
- 1999b. Regreening of senescent Nicotiana leaves. II. Redifferentiation of plastids. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1683–1689. , , , .
- 2005. The correlation between oxidative stress and leaf senescence during plant development. Cellular and Molecular Biology Letters 10: 515–534. , .