Seed size and seedling growth: differential response of Australian and British Fabaceae to nutrient limitation
Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2007
Volume 174, Issue 2, pages 381–388, April 2007
How to Cite
Hanley, M. E., Cordier, P. K., May, O. and Kelly, C. K. (2007), Seed size and seedling growth: differential response of Australian and British Fabaceae to nutrient limitation. New Phytologist, 174: 381–388. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02003.x
- Issue online: 26 JAN 2007
- Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2007
- Received: 22 November 2006 Accepted: 6 December 2006
- 1994. VA mycorrhizal infection in relation to edaphic characteristics and disturbance regime in three lowland plant communities in the south-western Cape, South Africa. Journal of Ecology 82: 271–279. , .
- 1982. Decomposers and the fire cycle in a phryganic (East Mediterranean) ecosystem. Microbial Ecology 8: 91–98. , .
- 1993. Seedlings from large seeds tolerate defoliation better: a test using phylogenetically independent constraints. Ecology 74: 1092–1100. , .
- 1990. Soils of the British Isles. Wallingford, UK: CABI. .
- 2005. Seed mass, seedling size and neotropical tree seedling establishment. Journal of Ecology 93: 1156–1166. , , .
- 1972. Seed weight in relation to environmental conditions in California. Ecology 53: 997–1010. .
- 1987. Flora of the British Isles, 3rd edn. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , .
- 2003. Phylogeny and embryo sac evolution in the endemic Australasian papilionoid tribes Mirbelieae and Bossiaeeae. In: KlitgaardBB, BruneauA, eds. Advances in legume systematics, Part 10. Higher level systematics. Kew, UK: Royal Botanic Gardens, 253–268. , .
- 1989. Growth of seedlings of pasture grasses and legumes deprived of single mineral nutrients. Journal of Applied Ecology 26: 223–232. , .
- 2005. The ecology of seeds, 2nd edn. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1989. The phylogenetic regression. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 326: 119–157. .
- 2001. Plant strategies, vegetation processes and ecosystem properties, 2nd edn. Chichester, UK: Wiley & Sons. .
- 1992. A positive distrust in simplicity – lessons from plant defences and from competition among plants and among animals. Journal of Ecology 80: 585–610. .
- 1997. Seed mass and nutrient content in nutrient-starved tropical rainforest in Venezuela. Seed Science Research 7: 269–280. , .
- 1997. Seedling growth of four fire-following Mediterranean plant species deprived of single mineral nutrients. Functional Ecology 11: 398–405. , .
- 2001. Effect of pre-germination heat-shock on seedling growth of fire-following Fabaceae from four Mediterranean-climate regions. Acta Oecologica 22: 315–320. , , .
- 2006. Cotyledon damage at the seedling stage affects growth and flowering potential in mature plants. New Phytologist 169: 243–250. , .
- 2003. Seed size and germination response: a relationship for fire-following plant species exposed to thermal shock. Oecologia 134: 18–22. , , .
- 1991. The comparative method in evolutionary biology. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. , .
- 1966. Sand and water culture methods used in the study of plant nutrition. Technical communication 22. East Malling, Maidstone, UK: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureau, England. .
- 1992. Seedling growth in relation to seed size among species of arid Australia. Journal of Ecology 80: 407–416. , .
- 1995. Seed size in tropical trees: a comparative study of factors affecting seed size in Peruvian angiosperms. Oecologia 102: 377–388. .
- 1996. Seed size and habitat use: a reanalysis of Salisbury (1974). New Phytologist 135: 169–174. .
- 2002. Coexistence and relative abundance in forest tree species. Nature 417: 437–440. , .
- 2005. A new application of storage dynamics: differential sensitivity, diffuse competition and temporal niches. Ecology 86: 1012–1022. , .
- 2005. Juvenile growth and palatability in congeneric British herbs. American Journal of Botany 92: 1586–1589. , .
- 1993. Seed size and establishment conditions in tropical trees: on the use of taxonomic relatedness in determining ecological patterns. Oecologia 94: 356–360. , .
- 2000. Ecology of seedling regeneration. In: FennerM, ed. Seeds: the ecology of regeneration in plant communities, 2nd edn. Wallingford, UK: CABI, 331–359. , .
- 1989. Mineral nutrient allocation in seeds and shoots of twelve Chionochloa species in relation to soil fertility. Journal of Ecology 77: 704–716. , .
- 1994. The role of large seeds in seedling establishment in dry soil conditions – experimental evidence from semi-arid species. Journal of Ecology 82: 249–258. , .
- 1998. Seed size and shape are not related to persistence in soil in Australia in the same way as in Britain. Functional Ecology 12: 480–485. , .
- 2000. The evolutionary ecology of seed size. In: FennerM, ed. Seeds: the ecology of regeneration in plant communities, 2nd edn. Wallingford, UK: CABI, 31–57. , , , .
- 1993. Physiological basis and ecological significance of the seed size and relative growth rate relationship in Mediterranean annuals. Functional Ecology 7: 591–599. , .
- 1987. Flora of the Perth region. Perth, Australia: Western Australian Herbarium. , , , , , .
- 1991. Reference soils of south-western Australia. Perth, Australia: Department of Agriculture Western Australia. .
- 1997. Seed/cotyledon size and nutrient content play a major role in early performance of species on nutrient-poor soils. New Phytologist 137: 665–672. , .
- 1998. Seedling growth response to added nutrients depends on seed size in three woody genera. Journal of Ecology 86: 624–632. , , .
- 2005. A brief history of seed size. Science 307: 576–580. , , , , , .
- 1992. Seed size: phylogeny and adaptation in two closely related Proteaceae species-pairs. Oecologia 91: 292–295. , .
- 1979. The effects of fire intensity on nutrient cycling in jarrah forest. Australian Journal of Ecology 4: 331–337. , , .
- 2003. Seed mass and seedling performance within eight species of Psychotria (Rubiaceae). Ecology 84: 439–450. , .
- 1995. Comparative analysis by independent contrasts (CAIC), an Apple Macintosh application for analysing comparative data. Computer Applications in Biosciences 11: 247–251. , .
- 1942. The reproductive capacity of plants. London, UK: G Bell. .
- 1990. Influence of seed size and quality on seedling development under low nutrient conditions in five Australian and South African members of the Proteaceae. Journal of Ecology 78: 1005–1020. , , .
- 1996. Seedling relative growth rate and its components in relation to seed size: phylogenetically independent constraints. Functional Ecology 10: 176–184. , .
- 1997. Experiments in ecology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2000. Seed size, nitrogen supply, and growth rate affect seedling survival in deep shade. Ecology 81: 1887–1901. , .
- 1998. A leaf-height-seed (LHS) strategy scheme. Plant and Soil 199: 213–227. .
- 1992. Comparative evolutionary ecology of seed size. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 7: 368–372. , , .
- 1996. Comparative ecology of seed size and dispersal. In: SilvertownJ, FrancoM, HarperJL, eds. Plant life histories: ecology, phylogeny and evolution. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 143–162. , , .
- 1995. The ecology of fire. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2004. A phylogeny of legumes (Leguminosae) based on analyses of the plastic matKgene resolves many well-supported subclades within the family. American Journal of Botany 91: 1846–1862. , , .
- 1995. The influence of CO2 concentration on stomatal density. New Phytologist 131: 311–327. , .
- 2005. Changes in nitrogen-fixing and ammonia-oxidizing bacterial communities in soil of a mixed conifer forest after wildfire. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 71: 2713–2722. , , , , .