Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) underlies aluminum-induced inhibition of root elongation in Hibiscus moscheutos
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2007
Volume 174, Issue 2, pages 322–331, April 2007
How to Cite
Tian, Q.-Y., Sun, D.-H., Zhao, M.-G. and Zhang, W.-H. (2007), Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) underlies aluminum-induced inhibition of root elongation in Hibiscus moscheutos. New Phytologist, 174: 322–331. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02005.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2007
- Received: 19 October 2006 Accepted: 6 December 2006
- 2002. Fast root growth responses, root exudates, and internal detoxification as clues to the mechanisms of aluminum toxicity and resistance: a review. Environmental and Experimental Botany 48: 75–92. , .
- 1999. Is nitric oxide toxic or protective? Trends in Plant Science 4: 299–300. , .
- 2000. Nitric oxide stimulates seed germination and de-etiolation, and inhibits hypocotyls elongation, three light-inducible responses in plants. Planta 210: 215–221. , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantization of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 2006. ABA-induced NO generation and stomatal closure in Arabidopsis are dependent on H2O2 synthesis. Plant Journal 45: 113–122. , , , , .
- 2006. Nitric oxide modulates the expression of cell cycle regulatory genes during lateral root formation in tomato. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 581–588. , , , .
- 2004. Nitric oxide plays a central role in determining lateral root development in tomato. Planta 218: 900–905. , , .
- 2006. Mechanisms for nitric oxide synthesis in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 471–478. .
- 2005. New insights into nitric oxide metabolism and regulatory functions. Trends in Plant Science 10: 195–200. , .
- 1995. Aluminum toxicity and tolerance in plants. Plant Physiology. 107: 315–321. , .
- 2002. A new role for an old enzyme: nitrate reductase-mediated nitric oxide generation is required for abscisic acid-induced stomatal closure in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 16314–16318. , , , .
- 1995. Special topics: nitric oxide. Annual Review of Physiology 57: 659–682. .
- 1997. NO-releasing substances that induce growth elongation in maize root segments. Plant Growth Regulation 21: 183–187. , , , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis nitric oxide synthase 1 is targeted to mitochondria and protects against oxidative damage and dark-induced senescence. Plant Cell 17: 3436–3450. , .
- 2003. Identification of a plant nitric oxide synthase gene involved in hormonal signaling. Science 302: 100–103. , , .
- 2004. Nitric oxide represses the Arabidopsis floral transition. Science 305: 1968–1971. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. The role of the apoplast in aluminum toxicity and resistance of higher plants: a review. Zeitschrift für Pflanzenernährung und Bodenkunde 158: 419–428. .
- 2004. Cadmium toxicity is reduced by nitric oxide in rice leaves. Plant Growth Regulation 42: 227–238. , .
- 2005. Nitric oxide reduces Cu toxicity and Cu-induced NH4+ accumulation in rice leaves. Journal of Plant Physiology 162: 1319–1330. , .
- 1995. Role of calcium and other ions in directing root hair tip growth in Limnobium stoloniferum. I. Inhibition of tip growth by aluminum. Planta 197: 672–680. , , .
- 1990. Comparison between NOx evolution mechanisms of wild-type and nr1 mutant soybean leaves. Plant Physiology 93: 26–32. .
- 1995. Cellular mechanisms of aluminum toxicity and resistance in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 46: 237–260. .
- 2000. Genotypical differences in aluminum resistance of maize are expressed in the distal part of the transition zone. Is reduced basipetal auxin flow involved in inhibition of root elongation by aluminum? Plant Physiology 122: 945–956. , , .
- 2003. Nitric oxide stimulates seed germination and counteracts the inhibitory effect of heavy metals and salinity on root growth of Lupinus luteus. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 41: 1011–1017. , .
- 2003. Nitric oxide: the versatility of an extensive signal molecule. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 109–136. , , , .
- 2001. Nitric oxide induces stomatal closure and enhances the adaptive plant responses against drought stress. Plant Physiology 126: 1196–1204. , .
- 2000. Cell biology of aluminum toxicity and tolerance in higher plants. International Review of Cytology 200: 1–46. .
- 2005. Nitrite as the major source of nitric oxide production by Arabidopsis thaliana in responses to Pseudomonas syringae. FEBS Letters 579: 3814–3820. , , , , .
- 2003. Nitric oxide signaling in plants. New. Phytologist 159: 11–35. , , .
- 2003. Nitric oxide and cyclic GMP are messengers in the indole acetic acid-induced adventitious rooting process. Plant Physiology 132: 1241–1248. , , .
- 2004. Microarray analysis of nitric oxide responsive transcripts in Arabidopsis. Plant Biotechnology Journal 2: 359–366. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The Janus face of ethylene: growth inhibition and stimulation. Trend in Plant Science 11: 176–183. , , , , .
- 2003. Role of dynamics of intracellular calcium in aluminium toxicity syndrome. New Phytologist 159: 295–314. , .
- 2006. Cadmium effect on oxidative metabolism of pea (Pisum sativum L.) roots. Imaging of reactive oxygen species and nitric oxide accumulation in vivo. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1532–1544. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Aluminium toxicity in roots: an investigation of spatial sensitivity and the role of the root cap. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 437–446. , , .
- 1997. Accumulation of nitrate in the shoot acts as a signal to regulate shoot-root allocation in tobacco. Plant Journal 11: 671–691. , , , , .
- 1998. The distal part of the transition zone is the most aluminum-sensitive apical root zone of maize. Plant Physiology 116: 155–163. , .
- 2005. Nitric oxide reduces aluminum toxicity by preventing oxidative stress in the roots Cassia tora L. Plant Cell Physiology 46: 1915–1923. 1999. , .
- 2001. Lipid peroxidation is an early symptom triggered by aluminum, but not the primary cause of elongation inhibition in pea roots. Plant Physiology 125: 199–208. , , .
- 1999. An alternative pathway for nitric oxide production in plants: new features of an old enzyme. Trends in Plant Science 4: 128–129. , , .
- 2004. Innate immunity in Arabidopsis thaliana: lipopolysaccharides activate nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and induce defense genes. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 15811–15816. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Aluminium induces an increase in cytoplasmic Ca2+ in intact wheat roots. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 26: 401–409. , .
- 2006a. Nitric oxide enhances salt tolerance in maize seedlings through increasing activities of proton-pump and Na+/H+ antiport in the tonoplast. Planta 224: 545–555. , , , , , .
- 2006b. Involvement of nitric oxide in light-mediated greening of barley seedlings. Journal of Plant Physiology 163: 818–826. , , , , .
- 2004. Nitric oxide functions as a signal in salt resistance in the calluses from two ecotypes of reed. Plant Physiology 134: 849–857. , , , , , .
- 2007. Enhanced sensitivity to oxidative stress in Arabidopsis nitric oxide synthase mutant. Journal of Plant Physiology. doi: 10.1016/j.jplph.2006.03.002 , , , .