High accumulation of soluble sugars in deep supercooling Japanese white birch xylem parenchyma cells
Article first published online: 22 FEB 2007
Volume 174, Issue 3, pages 569–579, May 2007
How to Cite
Kasuga, J., Arakawa, K. and Fujikawa, S. (2007), High accumulation of soluble sugars in deep supercooling Japanese white birch xylem parenchyma cells. New Phytologist, 174: 569–579. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02025.x
- Issue published online: 22 FEB 2007
- Article first published online: 22 FEB 2007
- Received: 6 October 2006 Accepted: 24 December 2006
- 1982. Stabilization of protein structure by sugars. Biochemistry 21: 6536–6544. , .
- 1992. Cold acclimation in genetically related (sibling) deciduous and evergreen peach (Prunus persica [L.] Batsch). I. Seasonal changes in cold hardiness and polypeptides of bark and xylem tissues. Plant Physiology 99: 1562–1568. , , .
- 1984. Freezing behavior of water in small pores and the possible role in the freezing of plant tissues. Plant Physiology 76: 201–204. , .
- 1988. Ice formation and tissue response in apple twigs. Plant, Cell & Environment 11: 703–710. , , , .
- 1993. Seasonal variations in soluble sugars and starch within woody stems of Cornus sericea L. Tree Physiology 13: 379–388. , , .
- 1981. Deep undercooling of tissue water and winter hardiness limitations in timberline flora. Plant Physiology 68: 111–114. , , , .
- 1992. Maturation proteins and sugars in desiccation tolerance of developing soybean seeds. Plant Physiology 100: 225–230. , , .
- 2002. Induction of tolerance to fast desiccation in black spruce (Picea mariana) somatic embryos: relationship between partial water loss, sugars, and dehydrins. Physiologia Plantarum 115: 523–530. , , .
- 1987. Seasonal variations of starch and major soluble sugars in the different organs of young poplars. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 25: 451–459. , , .
- 1997. Raffinose accumulation related to desiccation tolerance during maize (Zea mays L.) seed development and maturation. Journal of Plant Physiology 150: 481–488. , , , , , .
- 1979. Frost hardiness: a discussion of possible molecular causes of injury with particular reference to deep supercooling of water. In: MussellH, StaplesRC, eds. Stress physiology in crop plants. New York, NY, USA: Wiley, 197–225. , .
- 1988. Lipid–sugar interactions: relevance to anhydrous biology. Plant Physiology 86: 754–758. , , .
- 2005. Impacts of freezing on long-distance transport in woody plants. In: HolbrookNM, ZwienieckiMA, eds. Vascular transport in plants. Burlington, MA, USA: Elsevier Academic Press, 401–424. .
- 1989. The use of DSC to study the kinetics of heterogeneous and homogeneous nucleation of ice in aqueous systems. Thermochimica Acta 156: 373–381. , .
- 1987. Stabilization of dry phospholipid bilayers and proteins by sugars. Biochemical Journal 242: 1–10. , , , .
- 1984. Carbohydrate distribution in dormant Populus shoots and hardwood cuttings. Forest Science 30: 999–1010. , .
- 1970. The chemical physics of ice. London, UK: Cambridge University Press, 73–103. .
- 2000. Cryo-scanning electron microscopic study on freezing behavior of xylem ray parenchyma cells in hardwood species. Micron 31: 669–686. , .
- 1994. Ultrastructural study of deep supercooling of xylem ray parenchyma cells from Styrax obassia. Micron 25: 241–252. , , .
- 1986. Plasma membrane ultrastructural changes caused by mechanical stress in the formation of extracellular ice as a primary cause of slow freezing injury in fruit-bodies of basidiomycetes (Lyophyllum ulmarium (Fr.) Kühner). Cryobiology 23: 371–382. , .
- 1983. Freezing avoidance by deep supercooling in woody plant xylem: preliminary data on the importance of cell wall porosity. In: RandallDD, BlevinsDG, LarsonRL, RappBJ, eds. Current topics in plant biochemistry and physiology. Columbia, MO, USA: University of Missouri Press, 84–95. .
- 1977. Cold hardiness and deep supercooling in xylem of shagbark hickory. Plant Physiology 59: 319–325. , .
- 1974. Low temperature exotherms and woody plant distribution. Hortscience 9: 519–522. , , , .
- 1983. Deep undercooling in woody taxa growing north of the −40°C isotherm. Plant Physiology 72: 122–128. , , .
- 1990. Cold acclimation and freezing stress tolerance: role of protein metabolism. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 41: 187–223. .
- 1988. Nachweis und Charakterisierung eines H+/Glucose-Cotransportsystems in den Holzstrahlzellen von Populus balsamifera L. (Salicaceae) und Seine Jahreszeitliche Veränderung. PhD thesis. Kiel, Germany: University of Kiel. .
- 1982. Rapid increase in deep supercooling of xylem parenchyma. Plant Physiology 69: 697–700. , .
- 1980. Effect of freezing deep supercooled water on the viability of ray cells. Botanical Gazette 141: 464–468. , , .
- 1996. The molecular biology of plant acclimation to low temperature. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 291–305. , .
- 2006. Influence of simulated acid snow stress on leaf tissue of wintering herbaceous plants. Plant and Cell Physiology 47: 504–512. , , , .
- 2006. Role of intracellular contents to facilitate supercooling capability in beech (Fagus crenata) xylem parenchyma cells. Cryoletters 27: 305–310. , , , , .
- 1988. Sugars and desiccation tolerance in seeds. Plant Physiology 88: 829–832. , .
- 2003. Xylem ray parenchyma cells in boreal hardwood species respond to subfreezing temperatures by deep supercooling that is accompanied by incomplete desiccation. Plant Physiology 131: 736–744. , , , .
- 1999. Seasonal changes in the freezing behavior of xylem ray parenchyma cells in four boreal hardwood species. Cryobiology 38: 81–88. , , , .
- 1981. The stabilization of proteins by sucrose. Journal of Biological Chemistry 256: 7193–7201. , .
- 1965. Changes in metabolites of red-osier dogwood during cold acclimation. Proceedings of the American Society for Horticultural Science 86: 723–730. , , .
- 1977. Non-equilibrium freezing behaviour of aqueous systems. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 278: 167–189. .
- 1991. Freezing stress response in woody tissues observed using low-temperature scanning electron microscopy and freeze substitution techniques. Plant Physiology 95: 871–881. , .
- 1981. Accumulation of food reserves in cottonwood stems during dormancy induction. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 11: 145–154. , .
- 1962. Seasonal changes in cold resistance and free sugars of some hardwood tree barks. Forest Science 8: 255–262. .
- 2001. Variation of non-structural carbohydrates in silver birch (Betula pendula Roth) wood. Trees 15: 444–451. , .
- 1991. Application of thermal analysis to breeding fruit crops for increased cold hardiness. Hortscience 26: 513–517. .
- 1982. Relationship of deep supercooling and dehydration resistance to freezing injury in dormant stem tissues of ‘Starkrimson Delicious’ apple and ‘Siberian C’ peach. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 107: 299–304. , , .
- 1972. The relationship of exotherms to cold injury in apple stem tissues. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 97: 608–613. , , .
- 1973. The mechanism of freezing injury in xylem of winter apple twigs. Plant Physiology 51: 273–277. , , .
- 1972. Effect of solute on ice-solution interfacial free energy; calculation from measured homogeneous nucleation temperatures. In: JellinekHHG, ed. Water structure at the water–polymer interface. New York, NY, USA: Plenum Press, 126–145. , .
- 1960. Survival of the twig of woody plants at −196°C. Nature 185: 393–394. .
- 1987. Frost survival of plants: responses and adaptation to freezing stress. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. , .
- 1973. The protective effect of sugars on chloroplast membranes during temperature and water stress and its relationship to frost, desiccation and heat resistance. Planta 113: 105–114. .
- 1987. Changes in carbohydrates and ultrastructure in xylem ray cells of Populus in response to chilling. Protoplasma 137: 45–55. , .
- 1998. Seasonal changes in content of starch, protein and sugars in the twig wood of Salix caprea L. Holzforschung 52: 255–262. , .
- 1996. Interrelationships between ultrastructure, sugar levels, and frost hardiness of ray parenchyma cells during frost acclimation and deacclimation in poplar (Populus × canadensis Moench <robusta>) wood. Journal of Plant Physiology 149: 451–461. , , .
- 2002. Important roles of drought- and cold-inducible genes for galactinol synthase in stress tolerance in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 29: 417–426. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Plant cold acclimation: freezing tolerance genes and regulatory mechanisms. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 50: 571–599. .
- 1986. A comparison of seasonal ultrastructural changes in stem tissues of peach (Prunus persica) that exhibit contrasting mechanisms of cold hardiness. Botanical Gazette 147: 407–417. , .
- 1954. The estimation of carbohydrates in plant extracts by anthrone. Biochemical Journal 57: 508–514. , .