A method for extracting plant roots from soil which facilitates rapid sample processing without compromising measurement accuracy
Article first published online: 7 MAR 2007
Volume 174, Issue 3, pages 697–703, May 2007
How to Cite
Metcalfe, D. B., Williams, M., Aragão, L. E. O. C., Da Costa, A. C. L., De Almeida, S. S., Braga, A. P., Gonçalves, P. H. L., De Athaydes, J., Junior, S., Malhi, Y. and Meir, P. (2007), A method for extracting plant roots from soil which facilitates rapid sample processing without compromising measurement accuracy. New Phytologist, 174: 697–703. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02032.x
- Issue published online: 7 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 7 MAR 2007
- Received: 29 October 2006 Accepted: 10 January 2007
- 2004. A method to separate plant roots from soil and analyze root surface area. Plant and Soil 267: 225–234. , .
- 2005. Estimating the mass density of fine roots of trees for minirhizotron-based estimates of productivity. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 35: 1708–1713. , , .
- 1995. A modified hydropneumo-elutriation apparatus for quantitative root separation from large soil core samples. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 26: 2703–2709. , , .
- 2006. Evidence from Amazonian forests is consistent with isohydric control of leaf water potential. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 151–165. , , , , .
- 2000. Global patterns of root turnover for terrestrial ecosystems. New Phytologist 147: 13–31. , .
- 1993. Patterns of fine root mortality in two sugar maple forests. Nature 361: 59–61. , .
- 2001. The spatial distribution of forest biomass in the Brazilian Amazon: a comparison of estimates. Global Change Biology 7: 731–746. , , , .
- 1996. A global analysis of root distributions for terrestrial biomes. Oecologia 108: 389–411. , , , , , .
- MacDicken. 1997. A guide to monitoring carbon storage in forestry and agroforestry projects. Arlington, VA, USA: Winrock International.
- 2004. Interactive effects of soil warming and fertilization on root production, mortality, and longevity in a Norway spruce stand in northern Sweden. Global Change Biology 10: 182–188. , .
- 1992. Fine root production estimates and belowground carbon allocation in forest ecosystems. Ecology 73: 1139–1147. , .
- 1989. Effect of cultivation on the relationship between root length density and unsaturated hydraulic conductivity in a moderately swelling clay soil. Australian Journal of Soil Research 27: 645–650. , , .
- 2005. Above- and below-ground litter production in three tropical montane forests in southern Ecuador. Journal of Tropical Ecology 21: 483–492. , , .
- 2003. Mineral and organic components in archaeological black earth and yellow latosol in Caxiuanã, Amazon, Brazil. In: TiezziE, BrebbiaCA, UsoJL, eds. Ecosystems and sustainable development. Southampton, UK: WIT Press, 1113–1121. , .
- 2002. The global biogeography of roots. Ecological Monographs 72: 311–328. , .
- 2003. Accounting for fine root mass in the washing process: a case study from a tropical montane forest of Colombia. Journal of Tropical Ecology 19: 599–601. , , .
- 2005. Fine root dynamics and trace gas fluxes in two lowland tropical forest soils. Global Change Biology 11: 290–306. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Review of root dynamics in forest ecosystems grouped by climate, climatic forest type and species. Plant and Soil 187: 159–219. , , , , , .
- 2002. Comparison of different modeling strategies for simulating gas exchange of a Douglas-fir forest. Ecological Modelling 158: 63–81. , , .
- 2006. Identifying differences in carbon exchange among arctic ecosystem types. Ecosystems 9: 288–304. , , , .