Spatio-temporal leaf growth patterns of Arabidopsis thaliana and evidence for sugar control of the diel leaf growth cycle
Article first published online: 26 MAR 2007
© The Authors (2007). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2007)
Volume 174, Issue 4, pages 752–761, June 2007
How to Cite
Wiese, A., Christ, M. M., Virnich, O., Schurr, U. and Walter, A. (2007), Spatio-temporal leaf growth patterns of Arabidopsis thaliana and evidence for sugar control of the diel leaf growth cycle. New Phytologist, 174: 752–761. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02053.x
- Issue published online: 26 MAR 2007
- Article first published online: 26 MAR 2007
- Received: 13 December 2006 Accepted: 7 February 2007
- 1994. Root elongation rate is accounted for by intercepted PPDF and source–sink relations in field and laboratory grown sunflower. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 443–450. , , .
- 1998. Analysis of cell division and elongation underlying the developmental acceleration of root growth in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 116: 1515–1526. , .
- 2005. Genome-wide analysis of gene expression profiles associated with cell c ycle transitions in growing organs of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 138: 734–743. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Variation in growth rate between Arabidopsis ecotypes is correlated with cell division and A-type cyclin-dependent kinase activity. Plant Physiology 129: 854–864. , , , , .
- 1996. Effects of soil resistance to root penetration on leaf elongation. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1663–1678. , , , .
- 1995. Temperature affects expansion rate of maize leaves without change in spatial distribution of cell length. Analysis of the coordination between cell division and cell expansion. Plant Physiology 109: 861–870. , .
- 1987. Optical orientation detection of linear symmetry. In: Proceedings of the First IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, ICCV87, London UK. June 8–11, 1989. 433–438. , .
- 2005. Sugars and circadian regulation make major contributions to the global regulation of diurnal gene expression in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 17: 3257–3281. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Alterations in growth, photosynthesis, and respiration in a starchless mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) deficient in chloroplast phosphoglucomutase activity. Plant Physiology 79: 11–17. , , .
- 1991. Mutants of Arabidopsis with altered regulation of starch degradation. Plant Physiology 95: 1181–1188. , , , , , .
- 2004. The genetics of geometry. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 4728–4735. , , , , .
- 2005. Growth of the plant cell wall. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 6: 850–861. .
- 1999. Cell cycling and cell enlargement in developing leaves of Arabidopsis. Developmental Biology 215: 407–419. , , , , .
- 2000. Multiple signaling pathways in gene expression during sugar starvation. Pharmacological analysis of din gene expression in suspension-cultured cells of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 124: 1139–1148. , , , .
- 1994. Diurnal regulation of photosynthetic carbon metabolism in C3 plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 45: 235–256. , .
- 1995. Photosynthetic carbon metabolism and translocation in wild-type and starch-deficient mutant Nicotiana sylvestris L. Plant Physiology 107: 507–514. , , .
- 2004. Adjustment of diurnal starch turnover to short days: depletion of sugar during the night leads to a temporary inhibition of carbohydrate utilization, accumulation of sugars and post-translational activation of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase in the following light period. Plant Journal 39: 847–862. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Identification of sugar-modulated genes and evidence for in vivo sugar sensing in Arabidopsis. Journal of Plant Research 119: 115–123. , , , , , .
- 1945. Growth and differentiation in the root tip of Phleum pratense. American Journal of Botany 32: 36–46. , .
- 2006. PHENOPSIS, an automated platform for reproducible phenotyping of plant responses to soil water deficit in Arabidopsis thaliana, permitted the identification of an accession with low sensitivity to soil water deficit. New Phytologist 169: 623–635. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Carbon partitioning and growth of a starchless mutant of Nicotiana sylvestris. Plant Physiology 99: 1449–1454. , .
- 1997. Hexokinase as a sugar sensor in higher plants. Plant Cell 9: 5–19. , , , .
- 1977. Enzymatic assay of 10−7−10−14 moles of sucrose in plant tissues. Plant Physiology 60: 379–383. , , .
- 1998. Transgenic plants changed in carbon allocation pattern display a shift in diurnal growth pattern. Plant Journal 16: 497–503. , , , , .
- 2000. Molecular characterisation of a new mutant allele of the plastid phosphoglucomutase in Arabidopsis, and complementation of the mutant with the wild-type cDNA. Molecular and General Genetics 263: 978–986. , , , , , .
- 2006. Conversion of a putative Agrobacterium sugar binding protein into a FRET sensor with high selectivity for sucrose. Journal of Biological Chemistry 281: 30875–30883. , , , , .
- 2006. Nocturnal changes in leaf growth of Populus deltoides are controlled by cytoplasmic growth. Planta 223: 1315–1328. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana with pleiotropic effects on the expression of the gene for beta-amylase and on the accumulation of anthocyanin that are inducible by sugars. Plant Journal 11: 841–851. , , , .
- 2003. Role of the Arabidopsis glucose sensor HXK1 in nutrient, light, and hormonal signaling. Science 300: 332–336. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Spatial distribution of tissue expansion and cell division rates are related to irradiation and to sugar content in the growing zone of maize roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 149–158. , , .
- 2006. Dynamics of root growth stimulation in Nicotiana tabacum in increasing light intensities. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1936–1945. , , .
- 2004. Modeling plant growth and development. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 79–83. .
- 2006. Sugar sensing and signaling in plants: conserved and novel mechanisms. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 675–709. , , .
- 1998. Quantitative analysis of local growth rates of dicot leaves at high temporal and spatial resolution, using image sequence analysis. Plant Journal 16: 505–514. , , , .
- 1991. A quantification of the significance of assimilatory starch for growth of Arabidopsis thaliana L. Heynh. Plant Physiology 95: 890–895. , , , , .
- 2006. Vacuolar invertase regulates elongation of Arabidopsis thaliana roots as revealed by QTL and mutant analysis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 2994–2999. , , , , , , .
- 1984. Quantitative descriptions of development. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 35: 479–518. .
- 1979. Kinematics of plant growth. Journal of Theoretical Biology 76: 481–501. , .
- 2000. Sugar-induced signal transduction in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 51: 49–81. .
- 2002. Interactions of nitrate and CO2 enrichment on growth, carbohydrates, and rubisco in Arabidopsis starch mutants. Significance of starch and hexose. Plant Physiology 130: 1573–1583. , , , , .
- 2004. MAPMAN: a user-driven tool to display genomics data sets onto diagrams of metabolic pathways and other biological processes. Plant Journal 37: 914–939. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The effect of elevated CO2 on diel leaf growth cycle, leaf carbohydrate content and canopy growth performance of Populus deltoides. Global Change Biology 11: 1207–1219. , , , , , .
- 2002. Restriction of nyctinastic movements and application of tensile forces to leaves affects diurnal patterns of expansion growth. Functional Plant Biology 29: 1247–1258. , , .
- 2005. Dynamics of leaf and root growth: endogenous control versus environmental impact. Annals of Botany 95: 891–900. , .
- 1998. A starch-accumulating mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana deficient in a chloroplastic starch-hydrolysing enzyme. Plant Journal 15: 357–365. , , , .