Irrigation and enhanced soil carbon input effects on below-ground carbon cycling in semiarid temperate grasslands
Version of Record online: 26 MAR 2007
© The Authors (2007). Journal compilation © New Phytologist (2007)
Volume 174, Issue 4, pages 835–846, June 2007
How to Cite
Xiao, C., Janssens, I. A., Liu, P., Zhou, Z. and Sun, O. J. (2007), Irrigation and enhanced soil carbon input effects on below-ground carbon cycling in semiarid temperate grasslands. New Phytologist, 174: 835–846. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02054.x
- Issue online: 26 MAR 2007
- Version of Record online: 26 MAR 2007
- Received: 1 December 2006 Accepted: 1 February 2007
- 1995. Soil and biomass carbon pools in model communities of tropical plants under elevated CO2. Oecologia 104: 61–71. .
- 2006. Root respiration in temperate mountain grasslands differing in land use. Global Change Biology 12: 995–1006. , , , , .
- 2002. Surface and subsurface microbial biomass, community structure and metabolic activity as a function of soil depth and season. Applied Soil Ecology 20: 171–181. , , , , , .
- 1998. Roots exert a strong influence on the temperature sensitivity of soil respiration. Nature 396: 570–572. , , , .
- 1998. Vegetation and soil biota response to experimentally-changed nitrogen inputs in coniferous forest ecosystems of the NITREX project. Forest Ecology and Management 101: 65–79. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Biotic and abiotic factors controlling soil respiration rates in Picea abies stands. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 32: 1625–1635. .
- 2000. Relationships between fine root dynamics and nitrogen availability in Michigan northern hardwood forests. Oecologia 125: 389–399. , , .
- 1991. Influence of fertilizer and straw baling on soil organic matter in a thick black chernozem in western Canada. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 23: 443–446. , , , .
- 2004. Supply-side controls on soil respiration among Oregon forests. Global Change Biology 10: 1857–1869. , , .
- 2005. Does a general temperature-dependent Q10 model of soil respiration exist at biome and global scale? Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 47: 1288–1302. , .
- 2000. Typical steppe ecosystems of China. Beijing, China: Science Press. , .
- 2000. Microbial biomass, S mineralization and S uptake by African millet from soil amended with various composts. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 32: 845–852. , , , .
- 1995. Fine-root vitality in a Norway spruce stand subjected to various nutrient supplies. Plant and Soil 168–169: 167–172. , .
- 2004. Controls on soil respiration in semiarid soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 36: 945–951. , , , .
- 1998. Soil water content and temperature as independent or confounded factors controlling soil respiration in a temperate mixed hardwood forest. Global Change Biology 4: 217–227. , , .
- 2006. Temperature sensitivity of soil carbon decomposition and feedbacks to climate change. Nature 440: 165–173. , .
- 2006. On the variability of respiration in terrestrial ecosystems: moving beyond Q10. Global Change Biology 12: 154–164. , , .
- FAO-UNESCO. 1974. Soil map of the world 1 : 5 000 000. Paris, France: UNESCO.
- 2004. Carbon input to soil may decrease soil carbon content. Ecology Letters 7: 314–320. , , , .
- 1997. Decomposition of litter produced under elevated CO2: Dependence on plant species and nutrient supply. Biogeochemistry 36: 223–237. , , .
- 2003. Climate change due to greenhouse effects in China as simulated by a regional climate model. Part II: climate change. Acta Meteorologica Sinica 61: 29–38. , , .
- 2000. Long-term effects of municipal solid waste compost application on soil enzyme activities and microbial biomass. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 32: 1907–1913. , , , .
- 1994. The global carbon cycle: a viewpoint on the missing sink. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 21: 1–15. .
- 2002. Nonlinear grassland responses to past and future atmospheric CO2. Nature 417: 279–282. , , , , , .
- 1992. Carbon dynamics of Rocky Mountain Douglas-fir: influence of water and nutrient availability. Ecological Monographs 62: 43–65. , , .
- 1999. Influence of inorganic fertilizers and organic amendments on soil organic matter and soil microbial properties under tropical conditions. Biology and Fertility of Soils 29: 196–200. , , , .
- 1981. Biomass distribution and above- and below-ground production in young and mature Abies amabilis zone ecosystems of the Washington Cascades. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 11: 155–167. , , , .
- 2003. The input and fate of new C in two forest soils under elevated CO2. Global Change Biology 9: 862–872. , , , , .
- 1994. Vegetation removal in two soils of the humid tropics: effect on microbial biomass. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 26: 111–116. , .
- 1997. Relationships between SOC and soil quality in cropped and rangeland soils: the importance of distribution, composition, and soil biological activity. In: LalR, KimbleJM, FollettRF, StewartBA, eds. Soil processes and the carbon cycle. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press, 405–425. , .
- 1898. Lectures on theoretical and physical chemistry. Part 1. Chemical dynamics. London, UK: Edward Arnold. .
- 2001. IPCC 2001: climate change 2001: the scientific basis. New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Microbial dynamics associated with multiphasic decomposition of 14C-labeled cellulose in soil. Microbial Ecology 33: 134–143. , .
- 2005. Elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide increases soil carbon. Global Change Biology 11: 2057–2064. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Model estimates of CO2 emissions from soil in response to global warming. Nature 351: 304–306. .
- 2005. Soil respiration and its influencing factors at grazing and fenced typical Leymus chinensis steppe, Nei Monggol. Environmental Science 26: 1–7. , , , .
- 1999. Responses in microbes and plants to changed temperature, nutrient, and light regimes in the arctic. Ecology 80: 1828–1843. , , , .
- 2004. Carbon sequestration in temperate grassland ecosystems and the influence of management, climate and elevated CO2. New Phytologist 164: 423–439. , .
- 2005. Global climate change and soil carbon stocks; predictions from two contrasting models for the turnover of organic carbon in soil. Global Change Biology 11: 154–166. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Grassland ecosystems in China: review of current knowledge and research advancement. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B. doi: 10.1098/rstb.2007.2029 , , , .
- 1983. Carbon dioxide and agricultural yield: an assemblage and analysis of 430 prior observations. Agronomy Journal 75: 779–788. .
- 2002. Below-ground carbon input to soil is controlled by nutrient availability and fine root dynamics in loblolly pine. New Phytologist 154: 389–398. , , , , , .
- 1998. Growth and C allocation of Populus tremuloides genotypes in response to atmospheric CO2 and soil N availability. New Phytologist 140: 251–260. , , , .
- 2002. Review: Factors affecting rhizosphere priming effects. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 165: 382–396. .
- 2000. Review of mechanisms and quantification of priming effects. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 32: 1485–1498. , , .
- 2003. Analysis of climatic factor affecting precipitation during flood season for recent 50 years in Inner Mongolia. Weather in Inner Mongolia 2: 15–19. , , .
- 2004. Soil carbon budget of a grazed Leymus chinesis steppe community in the Xilin River Basin of inner Mongolia. Acta Phytoecologica Sinica 28: 312–317. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Soil carbon sequestration and turnover in a pine forest after six years of atmospheric CO2 enrichment. Ecology 86: 1835–1847. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Differential responses of litter decomposition to increased soil nutrients and water between two contrasting grassland plant species of Inner Mongolia, China. Applied Soil Ecology 34: 266–275. , , , , .
- 1996. Executive summary. In: BreymeyerA, HallDO, MelilloJM, ÅgrenGI, eds. Global change: effects on forests and grasslands. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley, 1–16. , , .
- 2000. CO2 exchange at the floor of a mixed boreal pine and spruce forest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 101: 1–14. , .
- 1982. Total carbon, organic carbon, and organic matter. In: PageAL, MillerRH, KeeneyDR, eds. Methods of soil analysis. Madison, WI, USA: American Society of Agronomy and Soil Science Society of America, 101–129. , .
- 2001. Soil fertility limits carbon sequestration by forest ecosystems in a CO2-enriched atmosphere. Nature 411: 469–472. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Soil microbial community responses to dairy manure or ammonium nitrate applications. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 33: 1011–1019. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Responses of tree fine roots to temperature. New Phytologist 147: 105–115. , , , .
- 1995. Atmospheric CO2, soil nitrogen and turnover of fine roots. New Phytologist 129: 579–585. , , , , , .
- 1998. Fine root length production, mortality and standing crop dynamics in an intensively managed sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua L.) coppice. Plant and Soil 205: 193–201. , .
- 2003. Modeling temporal and large-scale spatial variability of soil respiration from soil water availability, temperature and vegetation productivity indices. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17: 1104–1116. , , et al.
- 1997. Biogeochemistry: an analysis of global change, 2nd edn. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press. .
- 2002. The influence of soil type and interspecific competition on the fine root system of Norway spruce and European beech. Basic Applied Ecology 3: 339–346. .
- 2002. Impact of human activities on climate. II: Impact on climate variability over east Asia and China. Climatic and Environmental Research 7: 255–266. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Spatial and temporal variations in soil respiration in relation to stand structure and soil parameters in an unmanaged beech forest. Tree Physiology 25: 1427–1436. , .
- 2004. Feedback interactions between needle litter decomposition and rhizosphere activity. Oecologia 139: 551–559. , , , , , .
- 2005. Contribution of aboveground litter, belowground litter, and rhizosphere respiration to total soil CO2 efflux in an old growth coniferous forest. Biogeochemistry 73: 231–256. , , , .
- 2004. Dynamics of carbon stocks in soils and detritus across chronosequences of different forest types in the Pacific Northwest, USA. Global Change Biology 10: 1470–1481. , , , .
- 2006. Root dynamics of native savanna and introduced pastures in the Eastern Plains of Colombia. Soil and Tillage Research 87: 28–38. , , .
- 2003. Root-parasitic nematodes enhance soil microbial activities and nitrogen mineralization. Microbial Ecology 46: 134–144. , , .
- 2006. Soil microbial biomass and activity in organic tomato farming systems: Effects of organic inputs and straw mulching. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38: 247–255. , , .
- 2000. Carbon-13 input and turn-over in a pasture soil exposed to long-term elevated atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology 6: 123–135. , , , , , , .
- 1987. An extraction method for measuring soil microbial biomass C. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 19: 703–707. , , .
- 1986. Production, turnover, and nutrient dynamics of above- and below-ground detritus of world forests. Advances in Ecological Research 15: 303–377. , , .
- 1992. A comparative assessment of factors which influence microbial biomass carbon and nitrogen levels in soil. Biology Reviews of the Cambridge Philosophical Society 67: 321–358. .
- 2001. Soil-surface CO2 efflux and its spatial and temporal variations in a young ponderosa pine plantation in northern California. Global Change Biology 7: 667–677. , .
- 2004. Regional analysis of climate, primary production, and livestock density in Inner Mongolia. Journal of Environmental Quality 33: 1675–1681. , , .
- 1993. Elevated atmospheric CO2 and feedback between carbon and nitrogen cycles. Plant and Soil 15: 105–117. , , , , , .
- 1999. A field study of gross rates of N mineralization and nitrification and their relationships to microbial biomass and enzyme activities in soils treated with dairy effluent and ammonium fertilizer. Soil Use and Management 15: 188–194. , , .
- 2005. Soil microbial responses to experimental warming and clipping in a tallgrass prairie. Global Change Biology 11: 266–277. , , , , , .
- 2003. A preliminary study on the population variation of Stipa krylovii. Acta Agrestia Sinica 11: 163–169. , , , , , .
- 2007. Soil carbon and nitrogen stores and storage potential as affected by land-use in an agro-pastoral ecotone of northern China. Biogeochemistry 82: 127–138. , , , , , .