Identification of hyperpolarization-activated calcium channels in apical pollen tubes of Pyrus pyrifolia
Article first published online: 17 APR 2007
Volume 174, Issue 3, pages 524–536, May 2007
How to Cite
Qu, H.-Y., Shang, Z.-L., Zhang, S.-L., Liu, L.-M. and Wu, J.-Y. (2007), Identification of hyperpolarization-activated calcium channels in apical pollen tubes of Pyrus pyrifolia. New Phytologist, 174: 524–536. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02069.x
- Issue published online: 17 APR 2007
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2007
- Received: 3 December 2006 Accepted: 28 February 2007
- 1997. A unified procedure for the correction of liquid junction potentials in patch clamp experiments on endo- and plasma membranes. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 361–364. , .
- 1997. The turgor pressure of growing lily pollen tubes. Protoplasma 198: 1–8. , , .
- 1996. Analysis of pectin methyl esterase. In: LinskensHF, JacksonJF, eds. Modern methods of plant analysis: plant cell wall analysis, Vol. 17. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 165–180. .
- 1963. The essential role of calcium ion in pollen germination and pollen tube growth. American Journal of Botany 50: 859–865. , .
- 1999. Specificity and integration of responses: Ca2+ as a signal in polarity and osmotic regulation. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 1001–1011. , , , .
- 1992. Purification of maize pollen exines and analysis of associated proteins. Plant Physiology 100: 756–761. , , , , .
- 1996. Ca2+ uptake in GH3 cells during hypotonic swelling: the sensory role of stretch-activated ion channels. American Journal of Physiology 270: 1790–1798. , , , , .
- 1991. Stretch-activated chloride, potassium, and calcium channels coexisting in plasma membranes of guard cells of Vicia faba L. Planta 186: 143–153. , .
- 2004. Identification and characterization of stretch-activated ion channels in pollen spheroplasts. Plant Physiology 135: 1398–1406. , .
- 1989. A thin slice preparation for patch clamp recordings from neurones of the mammalian central nervous system. Pfluegers Archives 414: 600–612. , , , .
- 1999. Growing pollen tubes possess a constitutive alkaline band in the clear zone and a growth-dependent acidic tip. Journal of Cell Biology 144: 483–496. , , , , .
- 1997. The cytosolic Ca2+ concentration gradient of Sinapis alba root hairs as revealed by Ca2+-selective microelectrode tests and fura-dextran ratio imaging. Plant Physiology 114: 39–45. , .
- 1985. Modulation of calcium channels by norepinephrine in internally dialyzed avian sensory neurons. Journal of General Physiology 85: 743–763. , .
- 1997. Ratio-imaging of [Ca2+]i in the self-incompatibility response in pollen tubes of Papaver rhoeas. Plant Journal 12: 1375–1386. , , .
- 2002. Involvement of extracellular calcium influx in the self incompatibility response of Papaver rhoeas. Plant Journal 29: 333–345. , , , , .
- 1943. Potential, impedence and rectification in membrane. Journal of General Physiology 27: 37–60. .
- 1998. Co-ordination of signalling elements in guard cell ion channel control. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 351–360. , .
- 2003. Characterization of whole-cell K+ currents across the plasma membrane of pollen grain and tube spheroplasts of Lilium longiflorum. Journal of Membrane Biology 193: 99–108. , .
- 2005. Oscillatory pollen tube growth: Imaging the underlying structures and physiological processes. Microscopy and Microanalysis 11: 148–149. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Ions and pollen tube growth. Plant Cell Monographs 3: 47–69. , , , .
- 2001. Polarized cell growth in higher plants. Annual Review of Cell Development Biology 17: 159–187. , , .
- 1949. The effect of sodium ions on the electrical activity of the giant axon of the squid. Journal of Physiology 108: 37–77. , .
- 1997. Pollen tube growth and the intracellular cytostolic calcium gradient oscillate in phase while extracellular calcium influx is delayed. Plant Cell 9: 1999–2010. , , , , .
- 2003. Control of pollen tube growth: Role of ion gradients and fluxes. New Phytologist 159: 539–563. , .
- 2003. Effect of extracellular calcium, pH and borate on growth oscillations in Lilium formosanum pollen tubes. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 65–72. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Detection and localization of pectin methylesterase isoforms in pollen tubes of Nicotiana tabacum L. Planta 214: 734–740. , , , , , .
- 1996. Enforced growth-rate fluctuation causes pectin ring formation in the cell wall of Lilium longiflorum pollen tubes. Planta 200: 41–49. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Signalling pathways in pollen tube growth and reorientation. Annals of Botany 85: 59–68. , , .
- 1995. Calcium channel activity during pollen tube growth and reorientation. Plant Cell 7: 1173–1184. , , , .
- 1996. Localized apical increases of cytosolic free calcium control pollen tube orientation. Plant Cell 8: 1935–1949. , .
- 1992. Calcium signalling in cell volume regulation. Physiological Reviews 72: 1037–1061. , .
- 1999. Pulsatile influxes of H+, K+, and Ca2+ lag growth pulses of Lilium longiflorum pollen tubes. Journal of Cell Science 112: 1497–1509. , , .
- 1997. Tip localized Ca2+ pulses are coincident with peak pulsatile growth rates in pollen tubes of Lilium longiflorum. Journal of Cell Science 110: 1269–1278. , .
- 2001. Calcium uptake by plant cells – channels and pumps acting in concert. Trends in Plant Science 6: 514–519. , , , .
- 2004. Regulation of ion channel localization and phosphorylation by neuronal activity. Nature Neuroscience 7: 711–718. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Electrostatic effects and the dynamics of enzyme reactions at the surface of plant cells. 2. The role of pectin methyl esterase in the modulation of electrostatic effects in soybean cell walls. European Journal of Biochemistry 155: 191–197. , , , , , , .
- 1987. Improvement to the program GEOCHEM. Soil Science Society of America Journal 51: 488–491. , , .
- 2000. Calcium channels activated by hydrogen peroxide mediate abscisic acid signaling in guard cells. Nature 406: 731–734. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Pollen tube growth is coupled to the extracellular calcium ion flux and the intracellular calcium gradient: effect of BAPTA-type buffers and hypertonic media. Plant Cell 6: 1815– 1828. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Tip localized calcium entry fluctuates during pollen tube growth. Developmental Biology 174: 160–173. , , , , , .
- 2002. Ion channel diversity in the feline smooth muscle esophagus. American Journal of Physiology Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology 282: 288–299. , , .
- 2005. Ca2+ influx into lily pollen grains through a hyperpolarization-activated Ca2+-permeable channel which can be regulated by extracellular CaM. Plant Cell Physiology 46: 598–608. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Aminosäuren und Proteine. In: StanleyRG, LinskensHF, eds. Pollen, Biologie, Biochemie, Gewinnung und Verwendung. Greifenberg, Germany: Freund, 182–183. , .
- 1998. Plasma membrane depolarization-activated calcium channels, stimulated by microtubule-depolymerizing drugs in wild-type Arabidopsis thaliana spheroplasts, display constitutively large activities and a longer half-life in ton 2 mutant cells affected in the organization of cortical microtubules. Plant Journal 13: 603–610. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Recruitment of plasma membrane voltage-dependent calcium-permeable channels in carrot cells. EMBO Journal 13: 5843–5847. , , , .
- 2000. Hyperpolarization-activated calcium channels at the tip of Arabidopsis root hairs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 9801–9806. , .
- 2004. Ca2+-permeable channels in the plasma membrane of Arabidopsis pollen are regulated by actin microfilaments. Plant Physiology 136: 3892–3904. , , , , .
- 1997. Cytoplasmic free calcium distributions during the development of root hairs of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 12: 427–439. , , .
- 1993. Re-evaluation of calcium currents in pre- and postsynaptic neurones of the chick ciliary ganglion. Journal of Physiology 460: 153–172. , .