Evolutionary control of leaf element composition in plants
Article first published online: 17 APR 2007
Volume 174, Issue 3, pages 516–523, May 2007
How to Cite
Watanabe, T., Broadley, M. R., Jansen, S., White, P. J., Takada, J., Satake, K., Takamatsu, T., Tuah, S. J. and Osaki, M. (2007), Evolutionary control of leaf element composition in plants. New Phytologist, 174: 516–523. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2007.02078.x
- Issue published online: 17 APR 2007
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2007
- Received: 20 February 2007 Accepted: 5 March 2007
- 2004. The C : N : P stoichiometry of autotrophs – theory and observations. Ecology Letters 7: 85–191.
- 2004. Estimating radionuclide transfer to wild species – data requirements and availability for terrestrial ecosystems. Journal of Radiological Protection 24: A89–A103. , , , ,
- 2001. Phylogenetic variation in heavy metal accumulation in angiosperms. New Phytologist 152: 9–27. , , , , ,
- 2003. Variation in the shoot calcium content of angiosperms. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1431–1446. , , , , , ,
- 2004. Phylogenetic variation in the shoot mineral concentration of angiosperms. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 321–336. , , , , , ,
- 2007. Zinc in plants. New Phytologist 173: 677–702. , , , ,
- 1976. Correlations between concentrations of elements in plants. Nature 261: 686–688.
- 1978. Multivariate perspectives on the ecology of plant mineral element composition. American Naturalist 112: 533–544.
- 2001. Plant strategies, vegetation processes, and ecosystem properties. Chichester, UK: Wiley.
- 1997. Integrated screening validates primary axes of specialisation in plants. Oikos 79: 259–281. , , , et al.
- 2005. Leaf nitrogen and phosphorus stoichiometry across 753 terrestrial plant species in China. New Phytologist 168: 377–385. , , ,
- 2005. Phylogenetic variation in the silicon composition of plants. Annals of Botany 96: 1027–1046. , , ,
- 2002a. Aluminum hyperaccumulation in angiosperms: a review of its phylogenetic significance. Botanical Review 68: 235–269. , , ,
- 2002b. Aluminium accumulation in leaves of 127 species in Melastomataceae with comments on the order Myrtales. Annals of Botany 90: 53–64. , ,
- 2004. The distribution and phylogeny of aluminium accumulating plants in the Ericales. Plant Biology 6: 498–505. , , , , , ,
- 2006. Phylogenetic and growth form variation in the scaling of nitrogen and phosphorus in the seed plants. American Naturalist 168: E103–E122. , , ,
- 1980. Use of neutron spectrum sensitive monitors for instrumental neutron activation analysis. Bulletin of the Institute for Chemical Research, Kyoto University 58: 235–243. ,
- 1987. The pattern of distribution of lanthanide elements in soils and plants. Phytochemistry 26: 3167–3170.
- 1995. Mineral nutrition of higher plants. London, UK: Academic Press.
- 2003a. Nutritional characteristics of the leaves of native plants growing in adverse soils of humid tropical lowlands. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition 58: 93–115. , , , , , , ,
- 2003b. Mineral characteristics of leaves of plants from different phylogeny grown in various soil types in the temperate region. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition 58: 117–137. , , , , , ,
- 2003c. Mineral characteristics of the leaves of 166 plant species with different phylogeny in the temperate region. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition 58: 139–152. , , , , , ,
- 2001. Horsetails and ferns are a monophyletic group and the closest living relatives to seed plants. Nature 409: 618–622. , , , , ,
- 2005. Global biogeography of plant chemistry: filling in the blanks. New Phytologist 168: 263–266.
- 2006. Universal scaling of respiratory metabolism, size and nitrogen in plants. Nature 439: 457–461. , , ,
- 2005. Phylogeny and Evolution of Angiosperms. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , , ,
- 2002. Ecological stoichiometry. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. ,
- 1997. A comparative study of leaf nutrient concentrations in a regional herbaceous flora. New Phytologist 136: 679–689. , , ,
- 2004. Interactions between selenium and sulphur nutrition in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1927–1937. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Calcium in plants. Annals of Botany 92: 487–511. ,
- 2005. Assessing the generality of global leaf trait relationships. New Phytologist 166: 485–496. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. The worldwide leaf economics spectrum. Nature 428: 821–827. , , , , et al.